Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Streaming Radio Station to HT Receiver

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Lindel_Larison

Lindel_Larison

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 01:14 PM

Recently I tried to stream a radio station through my computer and input into my receiver (Denon AVR 3802). I used an adapter to go from my speaker terminal on my computer to 12 gauge speaker wire. The length is approximately 60 to 75 ft long. I couldn't get any sound out of my receiver. Then I hooked up my computer to my receiver with a small/cheap left/right audio cable that is approximately 4 ft long. Now, I can get sound out of my receiver, but it is very poor sound (I tried a music CD and get the same results). Now I have two problems: 1) My computer needs to be in a different room (i.e. 60 to 75 ft away) and 2) I have poor sound when it does work. I assume that there is too much signal degredation in the 12 gauge, 75 ft speaker wire. Do I need an amplifier? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   JamesHl

JamesHl

Supporting Actor

• 813 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 03:06 PM

Why are you hooking up your computer to the receiver with speaker wire?

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Lindel_Larison

Lindel_Larison

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 03:18 PM

What would you recommend? I just had it handy.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   John Walker

John Walker

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 04:11 PM

I currently have the computer audio going to an older receiver and speaker set, although the cable is very short*. I've done the reverse in the past - receiver (FM broadcast) RCA outs to computer sound card line-in 1/8" stereo plug. This allowed me to record directly to the hard drive. The sound quality was fine (considering its a computer sound card, not real audio equipment). Either direction works buts its important to use only line-in or line-out (may say to amplifier or amplified speakers in sound card documentation). Don't use microphone-in or other jacks because its important to use a line-level jack. Start with a 1/8" stereo plug to left and right RCA cable (like a RCA "Y" cable but the single plug end is 1/8" stereo plug). These are kind of hard to find so try a car audio shop. Unfortunately they are usually limited to 3-6'. You can get a 25 foot long 1/8" stereo plug "extension cord". Buy a couple if you need to. The only time I had sound quality issues was when I left the excess cable coiled up. After uncoiling it and spreading it across the floor the noise went away. I don't know but it could be because the 1/8" extension cord is pretty tiny (compared to say Canare 7.1mm coax). I suppose its generating coil induction or possibley picking up something electrical in the floor slab (before I move the cable around). Good luck John

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   JamesHl

JamesHl

Supporting Actor

• 813 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 05:00 PM

I would recommend what John said... however, I'm not sure how great it is going to be over that long a distance. I would imagine it will suffer some, the question would be how much.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   John Walker

John Walker

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted July 09 2003 - 01:39 PM

further to that I forgot to mention I did make my own 30' 1/8" stereo to two RCA cable once. It worked/works fine but what a pain working on twin coax that's only about 2mm in diameter. You have to be a micro surgeon because the copper strands are exceedingly small and brittle. Also, sourcing that twin tiny coax is tough. That's why I suggested getting the "Y" cable at a car audio place and looking for the extension cable elsewhere (highly unlikely to find that at a car shop - unless mounting your amps in a trailer is popular in your part of the world!). John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users