What's new

GameCube Kiosks (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Playable GameCube Kiosks are now shipping. They should begin appearing in stores throughout the US within the next few days to weeks (depending upon where you live and shop).
Thought you might like to know...

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
hehe, I wonder how many guys will be playing the "I dare you to go play it" crap. Well at least they don't put creaky doors infront of them
laugh.gif
J/K
I'll be watching for one to show up around these parts. I heard that the Xbox ones should be popping up soon too.
Dean

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to see how low the useability rating on Nintendo's latest "let's see if they can actually play games with THIS!" creation is
Right now: WORST CONTROLLER EVER!

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Jeff, have you actually used the controller? Because everyone's response that has actually used it has been VERY positive(except for the odd person here and there)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My friend was at a county fair or something and MS had one of those trucks with the kiosks in it driving around and he played a demo of Munch's Oddyssee. He said the controller was awkward and was not easy to just pick up and start playing and that the graphics of the game looked like good PS2 graphics (it might have been an early demo).
From what I have seen, read, and heard, the GCN controller is great. Nintendo has set benchmarks with controllers on consoles, from the SNES pad design of 4 face buttons and two shoulder buttons (which was pretty much copied over and over, only with different sizes), to the joystick on the N64 (the first joystick on a console). Sega primarily had their own designs with the 6 button pads (which I didn't like since it would be better to have all the buttons closer). The X-Box controller is like the DC one, which is probably why Jeff (an avid DC gamer, AFAIK) likes it over the GCN one.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
From what I've heard, my store should have BOTH the X-Box & GameCube kisoks in very soon. Personally, I can't wait to try it out.
Also, how can anyone say something is either awesome or crap if they haven't actually tried it??
Sure, the GC controller looks weird - but so was the N64's, and that turned out okay. I'm just getting a little tired of all the bashing/praising of things not available yet. ( FFX is a Perfect example of this.....)
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have praised FFX before, and since I probably do it the most, I would like to say that all of what I say is based on what I have seen or heard about the game, such as that its beautiful and the story/plot kicks and that the game is near perfect, except for the low frame rates during some battles. If the game had crappy 2-D graphics and a great storyline, it would still be good. I'm not actually praising it, but rather conveying the praise I have heard.
The X-Box has had playable kiosks around for a while, but not any that were set up in stores or anything. I'm surprised more people haven't played it already.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Nintendo's Gamecube controller was up for an E3 award this year for "best console hardware". It lost out to the actual Gamecube console. Sadly, the Xbox controller was not nominated.
laugh.gif
The awards are picked by people who work in the videogaming industry.
Link Removed
source: Planet Gamecube
[Edited last by Steven_V on September 19, 2001 at 08:58 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just thought I would pipe in and say that Luigi's Mansion has no loading times at all in the game (they are there, but are so quick that they appear to not be there). This will probably be a good selling point, seeing as how no XB game has promised anything about loading times like Luigi's Mansion (and even Monkeyball).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
This will probably be a good selling point, seeing as how no XB game has promised anything about loading times like Luigi's Mansion
Is this really an issue to most consumers? I mean, have you ever seen someone walk into Toys R Us, look at the systems, and ask about loading times?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Loading times? Not obscure enough for me. I usually ask for games where the number 4 occurs at least twice in the UPC.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Load times on the Xbox!? What load times?
tongue.gif

Game Cube shot:
waveraceblueign2.jpg

Loading please wait....
Is this really an issue to most consumers? I mean, have you ever seen someone walk into Toys R Us, look at the systems, and ask about loading times?
I really doubt anyone will really be complaining with either the Game Cube nor the Xbox because they are quite short and sweet. PS2 on the other hand can drive you bonkers with that damn loading screen.
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on September 20, 2001 at 12:06 AM]

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Load times? Only if you have an attention problem.
I really don't think that's a compelling factor for one game system over another.
sigh. let's duke this out over the games... too early to tell...

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If one game is on two different systems then load times could persuade me to choose one over the other but comparing times for Luigi vs Halo seems kinda silly. As long as we don't go back to those old school PSX intermission style loads I won't complain.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I agree that short or non-existant load times are a non-issue for nearly all consumers. This is shown by the PS1 being the most popular console, though it is known for some rather lengthy load times.
However, I do consider short load times a feature. I was put off by the PS the first time I played it, because it took about a minute to load the game. That was very unconsole-like to. It's also why I liked the N64's use of cartridges, despite the lower sound and graphics storage. If I want load times, I play my PC games.
But I'm a big-N fanboy, so I'm already sold on the NGC. But besides Morgan and me, no one else cares about load times. :)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
As being someone who has faced the horrible load times that was/is the SNK Neo Geo CD, I can handle the PlayStations load times, samething with the PS2, Xbox, GCN, hell any other CD based unit spanks the NGCD. With some games you can really let the game load, get up get a pop and be back in time to start the game.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Well, had my haircut today and decided to pop across to a CEX games shop on the opposite side of the street, the big Luigi's Mansion poster in the window caught my eye.
Sure enough, there was a little purple gamecube (for a beastly £399) in the window, and only now can I finally rest over the size of this thing. TINY, and the box it comes in is just ridiculously small. "That's got to be the box for the joypad" I thought, but nope! I love it, and it's size will cut my customs issues down upon importing one dramatically!
biggrin.gif

Didn't have time to play it though...arf.
Dan (UK)

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I should say "Load times are a non issue for those of us old enough to have played games on a C64 or other system that loaded games off of Cassette tapes!"
I remember playng on a old Fujitsu computer (Japanese OS - can't remember what) and playing the ORIGINAL mario brothers game (the one included with Super Mario Advance) and it taking 10-15 minutes to load the game from the cassette tape.
Ok, so maybe load times _do_ matter a little. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks