Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Flight of the Navigator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 07:07 AM

Hi all. I have some questions about the film "FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR."

First, has there ever been a widescreen release of this film, on any home video format (VHS, LD, DVD, whatever…), in any territory, ever?

Second, what is the proper aspect ratio of the picture and in what way does the full-screen laserdisc differ? 1.85:1? 2.35:1? Open-matte? Pan and scan?

Finally, I understand that there have been two different laserdisc issues of "FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR." What exactly is different between them, and how can I tell which one I have?

If anyone knows the answer to any of these questions, a response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted July 08 2003 - 02:15 PM

It has never been released in widescreen to my knowledge.

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Greg_Masiewich

Greg_Masiewich

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted July 09 2003 - 09:03 AM

How about this? At least it's something - http://cgi.ebay.com/....1&category=617

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted July 09 2003 - 10:45 AM

Here's what I found on this website:
Quote:
  • Flight Of The Navigator has never been available in the USA on DVD. Neither has any information been announced. As soon as we know something, we'll post it on the site.
  • Flight Of The Navigator will be available in the UK and Europe on DVD soon and a release date has been confirmed. We can confirm Aug 11th 2003. Features TBA. and our search agent can get you a big discount over the street price if you pre-order online now by clicking here.
So, if you have an HTPC or region-free player, you can order or bid for the movie. Unfortunately, it's P&S and DD2.0, and from what I remember of the movie, it had awesome sound. In fact, I think this was one of my first favorites that inspired me to home theater. I think it also starts on July 4, 1978--the day I was born. All in all, an enjoyable movie from my younger years that I would love to have on DVD. Time for a letter/e-mail campaign to Disney, anybody?

ETA: Amazon UK has it for £9.99, which I think translates to ~$15. A steal if you've got the tech (and I do)! It seems to be a similar transfer to the LD (Stereo, 4:3) but I'll take my nostalgia where I can get it.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted July 09 2003 - 02:08 PM

I'd buy it...but I can make myself hold out for OAR. Heck..if we can get The Boy Who Could Fly in OAR, we better damn well be able to get FOTN in OAR...
Kyle McKnight

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted July 09 2003 - 05:13 PM

what IS the OAR?
Fetch the mind-wipe ray!
You mean the Magnum?
....yes.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Matthew_V

Matthew_V

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted July 09 2003 - 05:32 PM

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Marc Carra

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 09:03 AM

If you click on the picture in the auction, it takes to to the seller's web site (www.raremovieimports.com) and they sell the same "Flight of the Navigator" dvd for $24.95US. The auction is now up to $91.00, so apparently the bidders didn't click on the link!

Marc.

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 09:24 AM

I wonder if the price on the auction went up thanks to this thread...or if there are just that many people intrested in the movie on dvd...hmm, which one of yall is gonna fork out a lot of money for this?
Kyle McKnight

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Marc Carra

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 09:52 AM

The only way I would bid $91 is if I got to ride in the actual spaceship itself Posted Image

Marc.

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Declan

Declan

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 12:35 PM

cool it's comin out here on the 13th of August you say.
Great stuff, I can stop my hunt for the LD now.

License To Drive, Monster Squad, Howard the duck, The Wizard and Jumpin Jack Flash.......... still on the LD search list for me though.
"So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed"

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Matthew_V

Matthew_V

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 10:04 AM

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted September 16 2003 - 12:10 PM

Good news! Maybe this means there is hope for a widescreen US release sometime in the future!

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 03:07 PM

Does anyone remember this movie being advertised with the robot alien (Max?) having a different voice then what showed up in the movie?
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 02:15 AM

Just remember, people. Don't get this through eBay, or the company selling it there. It's only £7.48+shipping (which I think is ~£2) to the US from Amazon.UK. All in all, you could be getting it for $16 total. My childhood is coming back to me...
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 04:28 AM

I'd buy this if it came out on DVD!

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 04:34 AM

John Co: It is out on DVD. But not here. According to the info above, it's actually anamorphic widescreen as opposed to fullscreen, and if you have a region-free player (or HTPC with region-free software installed), you're golden. Plus, it's cheap.

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 05:52 AM

Jesse, that's what I meant. I'm not multi-regional! Posted Image

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 05:58 AM

Tsk, tsk. It's so cheap now. I mean, quality-wise they're not usually on the level of say, a Panny RP91, but even big chains carry models that are region-free from the remote. Obviously, it might be cheaper to wait until Disney comes out with a version here, but I'm a little antsy for favorites of my youth. This and Boy Who Could Fly were constantly on in my house when I was a wee lad.

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Gavin_L

Gavin_L

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 01:15 PM

any new news on a usa dvd release? hoping one of these days they release it