Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Coax cable for dvd has arrows.......but

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Brad Newton

Brad Newton

Second Unit

• 386 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 04:37 AM

does that mean the arrows go toward the dvd player or the receiver?
May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 05:47 AM

Are you sure this is a coaxial-digital cable and not a Subwoofer cable?

To prevent ground-loops, subwoofer cables often have the shield DISCONNECTED at one end and they have little arrows pointing in the direction of the sub.

Coaxial-Digital cables are simply Video cables and should have the shield connected at both ends. Video/Coaxial Digital cables are also all made with something called "75 ohm Coax". But subwoofer cables can be made with any of the popular coax types: 50, 75, 110, 300.

So check the cable to make sure it's a video/coaxial-digital cable. Even the wrong cable will appear to work, but people have noticed audio drop-outs every few minutes with the wrong cable.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   David Preston

David Preston

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 07:57 AM

I think I noticed that on mine also. I can't check right now but I'll let you know later. I believe the arrows are going to the receiver.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Steve Owen

Steve Owen

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 08:00 AM

In general, the arrow would point in the direction that the signal is going. In your case, from the DVD player to the receiver. But whether it makes any difference (except in the case that Bob pointed out) is a matter of debate.

-Steve
"He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him."

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted July 08 2003 - 08:15 AM

Coax cables can have the same directionality as other audio cables, though it seems to be less common on digital cables. As Steve notes, the arrows should point from the source to the receiver/amp.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein