What's new

Definition of 5:3:2 or 2:3:5 (1 Viewer)

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard these ratios used before but can't 100% interprut what they mean. I think it has to do with room size, in which the 5:3:2 is LxWxH of the room. Seems right to say for example a room with a 10ft cieling would be 15 feet wide and 25ft long by this ideal. Am I correct or way off? :confused:

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm not aware of any formulas regarding room size for HT. It sounds like you may have heard someone refer to "2.35:1", which is a common aspect ratio for films. (Purists would point out that it's really 2.40:1, but the common lingo is "2.35".) In conversation, people often abbreviate this formula to "two three five".

The other common aspect ratio (or "AR") for U.S. films today is 1.85:1.

M.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I think you are talking about the "Golden Cuboid" or "Golden Ratio" developed for music.

The goal was to determine what room dimensions would give the best sound.

They used wall-reflections as the 'problem' in that a wall X feet long would naturally reflect some frequencies better than others.

So a room that is 6 x 12 would be very bad because the 6 foot wall and the 12 ft wall would both reflect similar frequencies of sound giving an artifical boost to some.

A room with dimensions 5:3:2 is less-likely to have this type of boost.

This is usually only an issue for dedicated music/HT rooms. In a real-world living room there are doors, windows, furniture, etc., that break up the room into smaller sub-sections. There are also wall-treatments and equalization that can solve these problems.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, its definatly not AR, which I'm well educated on. Probably is the "Golden Ratio" Bob mentioned.

I heard this ratio used in the HT Constructions and Interiors Section a while back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks