-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Waterloo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted July 07 2003 - 01:29 PM

I'd appreciate any comments as to why Jack Hawkins' voice sounds dubbed in this film.

Bob Engleman

#2 of 4 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,592 posts

Posted July 07 2003 - 01:52 PM

It is dubbed. Hawkins had throat cancer surgery that removed his larynx around 1966. According to the imdb, his voice in subsequent films was dubbed by either Charles Gray or Robert Rietti.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#3 of 4 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,129 posts

Posted July 07 2003 - 02:19 PM

Here's hoping for a Region 1 release of the film...

#4 of 4 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted July 07 2003 - 09:27 PM

Superb recreation of Napoleon's last stand. Bondarchuk's version of War And Peace is the definitive filmed version of Tolstoy's masterpiece and Waterloo is also superb. Great recreation of the legendary battle.

There is a region 2 DVD available: It is an anamorphic 2.35:1 DVD-5 with DD 4.0 sound. The transfer is not perfect, but is still excellent overall, but some remastering and a higher bitrate DVD-9 would render a great transfer, I'm sure. Low price, too.

Bondarchuk's, Destiny Of A Man is also a must-have.

I hope that They Fought For Their Country gets released on DVD at some point.

Gordy