What's new

Original Star wars on DVD (1 Viewer)

GlenRF

Agent
I might be asking a stupid question but I cant seem to find any of the original star wars movis on dvd is that because there are none or are they in a secret hiding place where only the man ( George lucas) knows where they are.

GlenRF

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
They haven't been released and probably never will be. You can expect either the special editions or perhaps an even further reworked and tinkered-with version of the trilogy to come out in about three years, but George Lucas has made it pretty clear that he's not a fan of the originals and unless he changes his mind (not that there's no precedent for that), we won't see them released on home video again.

I used to harbor some hope that Lucas would surprise us and release them on DVD soon, but I finally decided to just pick up the THX LDs and put any possible DVDs out of my mind. I'm extremely happy with my LDs and simply don't care about the DVDs anymore.

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the forum, new guy. Use search. This topic has been discussed to death. General concensus is that the original trilogy will not be released on DVD until after Episode Three comes out on DVD -- maybe 2005 or 2006.

GlenRF

Agent
well I guess asking this question I should have known I would have got some stupid anwsers but never expected it to be like this. thanks everyone

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Just use the search feature on something that seems it would be the lease bit popular and you'll probably find your answer.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
If you know another target, a military target, then name the system...I grow tired of not having Star Wars on DVD...

It is frustrating..but I bet there is a good chance that one day the originals will be released on DVD, long after any of the SE or possibley further re-worked Star Wars SE's of the future have been out. To make money if nothing else.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sooner or later this all turns into a "Lucas is a money grubbing bastard" as usual

He has more money than he will ever need. It's about CONTROL. Like many creative people, he's a control freak, and when he decides something, he sticks to it past all point of logic.

So stop calling him greddy, and start calling him controlling

(and before anyone asks for the 52,000th time, no those DVDs on Ebay are not real, they're nasty low quality bootlegs)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
GregRF, welcome to the forum.

As you can see, there are some issues which we veterans are rather jaded about. This is definately one of them. No reason to take it out on you, though.

There is an HTF Newcomer FAQ which was created after I arrived, and so I've never read. I understand that it's mentioned to new members as they sign up (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so you may or may not have read it.

If it doesn't address topics like "where is Star Wars (and other popular titles) on DVD?", then maybe it should. Oft-asked questions are what a FAQ if for, definately. Maybe that's too big a scope for this FAQ, though. I dunno.

In any case, here is a recent article at the Seattle Times which addresses the very topic of "Where is (fill-in-the-blank) on DVD?" Go down to the section called "What You Want" and you'll see Star Wars is addressed first, followed by mucho other things including Song of the South, King Kong, Looney Tunes, East of Eden, and Twin Peaks Season 2 (the last one is why HTF member Tony Mirra brought it to this site's attention).

From one regular member to another, welcome. Usually we have some quite intelligent discussion here. Stick around and you might run into it. Even in this thread. While the replies you got might seem a bit rude at first examination, they are actually more responsive than they appear. In particular, re-read Carl Fink's reply. He's right on-target, even if he's not pulling any punches.

And the Dantooine thing WAS funny, but you just didn't expect to have your question treated so humorously. I guess I understand that, but stick around anyway...noone was laughing AT you. The joke was more at Lucas' expense...quite a normal thing around here due to fustrations over this very issue.

And Jeff's right: stay away from eBay bootlegs!

Finally, in regard to the advice about the search function: it IS a useful tool. We would all do well to recall that it is often down in the middle of the weekdays, when the traffic is high at the forum. So it's not always accessible, even to a new guy who thinks to use it.

I look foward to seeing you around the forum.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Guys, as Mr. Lambert notes, perhaps we should go easy on a new member. We take pride in HTF's friendly atmosphere. So let's give Glen a more HTF-style welcome here.

GlenRF

Agent
dear dave lambert and jack briggs thanks for the support and the welcome to the forum and yes the dantooine comment was funny and yes I know me being the new guy here there has to be some hazing going on but be gentel I still have to go home to a women who request curtain thing from me. I also heard about you can get the trilogy on Laser Disc and if anyone knows of a good place I would be in your debt.

Thanks GlenRF

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
GregRF, welcome to the forum as well and just browse around and especially have fun.

Tonight I watched TPM once again on DVD and was struck how well this looks on dvd especially The Beginning.

so there is at least something of Star Wars on dvd yet not the original.

Who knows when.:D

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Glen,

I apologize for my wise-ass comment. :b I entered the thread intending to give you a straight answer, but when I saw you use the words "secret hiding place", I just couldn't resist. :D

Your best bet may be to find a cheap laserdisc player (Pioneer models are quite good) and a THX copy of the trilogy. (Available either as individual discs with "faces" on the covers, or a box set called The Definitive Collection.) I'd offer you mine, but you can have them when you pry them from my cold clammy fingers. :)

On a related note, I was DVD shopping with my roommate the other day. We both snickered when we saw a movie called "The Greatest Story Ever Told". Apparently it is a Biblical epic with a cast of thousands, blah blah blah.

But everybody knows that the original Star Wars trilogy is the greatest story ever told!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I also heard about you can get the trilogy on Laser Disc and if anyone knows of a good place I would be in your debt.
First, you need to get a laserdisc player (if you don't already have one).

For that, check the Hardware For Sale/Trade forum as well as eBay.

For the Laserdiscs, check the Software For Sale/Trade forum as well as eBay. Your three options are the "Faces" discs (the three films have the images of Vader (ANH), a Stormtrooper (ESB), and Yoda (ROTJ) on them), the Definitive Collection (Same as the "Faces" discs, only with some extras), and the Special Edition Box Set (which comes with an AC3 soundtrack). The SE Box Set has the best picture quality, but obviously you have to sit through Greedo shooting first.

BTW, David...great idea about the FAQ. Star Wars on laser should also be a section in there.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Glen,

(You replied same time as me.) To answer your question on where to find the LDs and player, you can always try Ebay. I have never bought equipment from Ebay, but I did buy hundreds of LDs with no problem. Just make sure the seller has lots of positive feedback, and make sure you know what your are bidding on, terms of the deal, etc. before you bid.

Also, if you are in a big city, used record/CD/video stores may be the way to go. Here in Seattle, there are 2 shops on University Ave. that always have used LD players and discs in stock. You will probably have an opportunity to test your player before handing over $$$ so this may be safer than Ebay. I have only bought used equipment from trusted friends, so I don't have much advice for you in that area.

There are always pawn shops. Your mileage may vary.

Best of luck, and...

May the Schwartz be with you. :)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm ... Well, I just checked that Seattle Times article and they couldn't be more wrong regarding King Kong. It's well known that Lowry Digital Imaging is putting the finishing touches on that transfer for a 2004 release.

As to the original Star Wars: I'm beginning to think that it may show up on D-VHS (in November 2004?) before it gets to DVD. Wouldn't that be a kick in the head??

Joseph
(count me among the frustrated regarding Star Wars on DVD)
Bolus

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Also, shameless plug: www.originaltrilogy.com - be sure to sign the petition for the OT on DVD (un-SE'd) and tell your friends about it! :)

In defense of The New Guy - search feature is cool and should definitely be used, but on something like star wars he's going to get like a billion hits. Most of which he will NOT want to click into! ;)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I haven't bought any off of eBay, but I've bought two players from members of this forum, and they both worked great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks