Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Alien 5 by James Cameron!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
110 replies to this topic

#101 of 111 OFFLINE   Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 12:40 AM

there are still so many cool things that can be done with the alien species.
Oh, man, have we been through this before! Please see... post #43,... post #17, and post #20.
Let me guess, all posts by you, right?!

There seems to be nothing compelling---or ORIGINAL---on offer here. That's for sure.

You're right. I don't feel compelled by what is essentially a lot a jabber...

...judging by a lot of the ideas expressed here... ---if we may assume the ideas expressed... to be representative of the tastes and expectations of the likely movie-going audience for such films---I can understand why they wouldn't be willing to take such risks.
Sheesh, Rex, get off of it. I mean this thread really hasn't been about offering scenarios for possible Alien sequels, just that Cameron might be interested in continuing the franchise.
"I just pre-ordered I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, even though I have no job."

#102 of 111 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 04:34 PM

john doran wrote (post #89):

Quote:
. . . . there are still so many cool things that can be done with the alien species.

Quote:
Oh, man, have we been through this before! Please see... post #43,... post #17, and post #20.

Jim Peavy wrote (post #101):

Quote:
Let me guess, all posts by you, right?!

Yes, all that I specifically designated are by me, but they are sandwiched between other posts of people with contrasting ideas and differing views on the same subject, which one might also take a look at. And your problem with that would be . . . .?

Quote:
I mean this thread really hasn't been about offering scenarios for possible Alien sequels, . . . ..

Yet there they are, rather plentiful among the other comments, and many of the ideas expressed around here are scarcely different from those expressed over and over again elsewhere in the HTF and, I dare say, at other Web sites, which was my point in the first place.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#103 of 111 OFFLINE   Bruce_S

Bruce_S

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 11:03 AM

Does Jim Cameron really need Arnold in this movie? Is just going to increase his budget to $30 mil. - If he does, I think Arnold will be an android.. who knows... He's better off getting CGI replacement.. IMO...

-bruce

#104 of 111 OFFLINE   Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 04:46 PM

...many of the ideas expressed around here are scarcely different from those expressed over and over again elsewhere in the HTF and, I dare say, at other Web sites, which was my point in the first place.

No Rex, your point was not that many of the ideas expressed in this thread are nothing new, but that the few brief ideas floated here (in a thread that was simply discussing that Cameron has expressed interest in a new Alien film) are just "a lot a jabber."

...judging by a lot of the ideas expressed here ... ---if we may assume the ideas expressed ... to be representative of the tastes and expectations of the likely movie-going audience for such films---I can understand why they wouldn't be willing to take such risks.

This doesn't suggest the ideas here are guilty of being merely repetitious, but are rather not up to your elite intellectual standards. It's an insult, in other words.

But nice try.
"I just pre-ordered I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, even though I have no job."

#105 of 111 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 05:52 PM

Bruce_S wrote (post #103):

Quote:
Does Jim Cameron really need Arnold in this movie? Is just going to increase his budget to $30 mil. - If he does, I think Arnold will be an android. . .

Ah, the prospect of the crossover rears its ugly head. If they need, or feel they need, that gimmick, then that's a sign that the series is truly defunct, creatively speaking.

Jim Peavy wrote (post #104):

Quote:
. . . your point was not . . . . It's an insult, in other words.

You won't get very far trying to tell me my mind. I can tell you that right now. My main point was exactly what I've said it was: basically, that most of the ideas expressed here about plots etc. for any further Alien-films have been expressed over and over in public forums, including HTF ones, and that they mostly represent a desire to see the "same old same-old", as far as I can tell. Whether or not you or anyone else is insulted by the expression of desire on my part to see something not covered so far in the series, if the series is even to continue at all---which I personally think is a bad idea---, yet something that's scientifically plausible and at the same time organic to the story---no "terminators", please!---well, that's another matter, and not my problem.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#106 of 111 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 03:09 PM

Quote:
Ah, the prospect of the crossover rears its ugly head. If they need, or feel they need, that gimmick, then that's a sign that the series is truly defunct, creatively speaking.

I dunno, it does seem to be the new trend in the industry, look at all the VS projects floating around (Superman vs Batman, Alien vs Predator, Freddy vs Jason and god knows what else...). Perhaps it comes from the music industry, try and find a rap album nowadays that doesn't feature some R&B star...

--
H

#107 of 111 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 06:20 PM

Holadem wrote (post #106):

Quote:
I dunno, it does seem to be the new trend in the industry, look at all the VS projects floating around (Superman vs Batman, Alien vs Predator, Freddy vs Jason and god knows what else...). Perhaps it comes from the music industry, . . . .

"New trend"? Try Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943), House of Frankenstein (1944), House of Dracula (1945), Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948), Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951), Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1953), Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955), King Kong versus Godzilla (1962), et al.

This doesn't even begin to mention horror characters such as these from outside of the Universal franchises (silly, but not necessarily uninteresting, low-budget "ripoffs" like Billy the Kid vs. Dracula (1966)).

Uh-uh. Whatever else it may be, this trend isn't "new". Like most things in Hollywood these days, it's a retread, and an old gimmick to prop up dying "franchises", to boot.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#108 of 111 OFFLINE   Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 07:05 PM

I'm really excited that James wants to return to the aliens franchise, especially Because he has something to offer. I think after he made aliens it was a labor intensive experience and the last thing that he wanted to think about was another alien. He's had plenty of time to think of somewhere to take the story of Ripley and others, I really hope that the story is way beyond anything discussed on this thread because it would be way too obvious and lame. To think that he would give 3 and 4 any respect after the board room of executives gave none to 2 is ludicris. I especially hope that he has a beef with the way the franchise has been screwed almost beyond repair and he makes it his damdest to make things right. We need to see Cameron with his passion and vision and we will be pleased.
Nowhere In Mulberry~The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture! iTunes

#109 of 111 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted July 13 2003 - 11:03 PM

"Abbott and Costello meet the Alien" (2004) - 2 thumbs up ! Posted Image

#110 of 111 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted July 14 2003 - 11:19 AM

Get Keanu and do "Bill and Ted's Alien Adventure!"
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#111 of 111 OFFLINE   john doran

john doran

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted July 15 2003 - 08:28 PM

i see your abbott and costello and your bill and ted, and raise you one "Ernest meets the Alien".

now that's high cinema.
 fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow