-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

should I bi-wire speakers???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 BrianEK

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted July 06 2003 - 07:46 PM

I have an onkyo txds797 reciever and a full set of Infinity Alpha speakers. My 2 front speakers are alpha50's and are bi-wirable. manual says bi-wiring will improve sound performance but I am using Monster Z-series cable with banana plugs which is too thick to bi-wire. So i'm stuck on what to do. Do I keep my z-series cable and don't bi-wire, or do i bi-wire with lower quality cable. Don't know which will give me better performance. help please!!!

#2 of 3 Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted July 07 2003 - 01:03 AM

There is no concensus on this. Search archives and you will find many discussions. I say forget it.

#3 of 3 Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted July 07 2003 - 04:10 AM

Definitely two schools of thought. Here is my own experience.

Having used 12g zip cord, I decided to build my own bi-wire set. Started out with quality 14/4 wire. Removed jacket and spun 4 cables of two wires. Then spun 2 cables out of the 4 yielding 2 cables with 2 sets of twisted 14g wire. At one end, the two cables were combined in a banana plug. The other end was to be terminated with 2 spades but they did not fit my speakers (paradigm studios) so I left them bare.

The entire cable was wrapped in nylon braid. I made 6 total cables, each the same length (10 feet) for the three front speakers.

I would love to say the difference was dramatic (driven with Denon 4802) but I can't. I remember trying to hear that the sound was better. After the time any money invested I thought that they should sound better. In any event, they look cool as hell. My listening area has a lot to be desired (too live) and that may be playing a part.

My 2cents - you have quality speaker cable, stick with it.