Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Dances with Wolves" SE DVD a good blind buy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted July 05 2003 - 07:53 PM

I'm tempted to buy this DVD. I've never seen it, and I've heard nothing but good things about this movie. This DVD is is the 4 hour version. Is it worth buying, or should I rent it first?

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Bill Burns

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted July 05 2003 - 09:30 PM

I've seen and loved films ranging from Blacksmithing Scene (1893) to Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003), and I count the extended cut of Dances With Wolves as the best film ever made, and my personal pick for the one essential film for modern audiences to view (I'm more comfortable with a list of about fifty pictures, but if it has to be one, this is it). If that counts for anything. Posted Image I very highly recommend it. But here is what you're in for:

1). a Panavision "scope" presentation (around 2.35 or 2.40:1, meaning that on a 4X3 set you'll see thick black bars above and below the image, and on a widescreen set you'll still see smaller black bars, which in both cases preserves its rectangular shape and the image within that shape; portions of the image must be chopped away to make it fill a 1.33:1 screen, which is the measure of a standard 4x3 television, and even a 1.78:1 screen, the measure of a widescreen set; my apologies if you already know this, but you'd be amazed how many people still think they're seeing less, rather than more, in a letterboxed presentation).

2). A film set in the old west.

3). A film in which a lot of dialogue takes place in a foreign language, with subtitles (the main character communicating with Native Americans, and of course Native Americans speaking among themselves).

4). A drama (and a brutal, very violent drama in many ways). There are action sequences, but this isn't an action film. It's a character drama, and on many levels a romance.

If the above sounds good, I highly recommend picking up a copy. The DVD includes two running commentaries. The transfer is pleasing, but has a few faults (it may be a touch dark, I haven't quite decided, and some edge haloing is occasionally noticeable). I cherish the picture on many levels, and I much prefer its extended cut to its (U.S.) theatrical length, in which I believe much of the sense of time and the expanse of place is compromised (I believe the extended cut actually represents a European theatrical cut shown at the time of its original release, but I'm not certain).

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years (I first found the extended cut on laserdisc, while I saw the U.S. cut in theatres). Posted Image

“That line was screwy.”

- Outtake
Warner Bros.' Breakdowns of 1938

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Shane_M

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 232 posts

Posted July 05 2003 - 10:02 PM

Even though I'm not a huge Kevin Costner fan I'd still say yes to this movie.

4hrs will fly by as you become immersed in the storyline.
Shane
EyeCraveDVD.com (Owner | Editor-In-Chief)
My Blog

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted July 06 2003 - 01:06 AM

I regretted for years passing up the extended version on laserdisc. I need to get this, and soon.
My blog: Andrew Hamm: (Title Changes Regularly)

The 2008-2009 Richmond Shakespeare Theatre

Hamlet October 17 - November 9A Christmas Carol for Two Actors December 11 - 21Amadeus February 12 - March 8Cymbeline April 16 - May 10

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,326 posts

Posted July 06 2003 - 01:43 AM

Another big yes vote for the new extended version of Dances With Wolves. I'm not a huge Costner fan either, but this new release of the film achieves true greatness. Like the EE of The Fellowship of the Ring, the additional footage included here should have never hit the cutting room floor in the first place. It adds significantly to the narrative, character relationships, and flow of the story. It's pretty apparent that the removal of this material for the film's theatrical run was a studio suit decision. As another poster mentions above, the 4 hour runtime will fly by as you become completely immersed in the story, the awesome cinematography, and the beautiful score. Highly recommended.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted July 06 2003 - 05:04 AM

Thanks. I'll make sure I pick this up today.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Bolivar G

Bolivar G

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted July 06 2003 - 07:42 AM

I bought this blind and very much enjoyed and didnt even notice the 4 hours. I'm not a very much of a costner fan but he was very good in this.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,390 posts

Posted July 06 2003 - 10:43 AM

Yes the extended cut adds new layers to the original cut.

The original is very much John Dunbar oriented - much like the theatrical version of FOTR was Frodo oriented.

This new cut fleshes out the other characters and enriches the whole story telling experience.

Unlike FOTR, which improved the storyline as well as enhancing other characters, DWW extended cut does not change the storyline in any way. It does however enhance the mood and atmosphere by expanding on the other characters.

Definitely worth it.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted July 07 2003 - 01:48 AM

Great comments here, and I agree that DWW - in either of its forms - is a fantastic film to have in your library.

I have the LD "Limited Edition" set of the EE, the Image DVD of the theatrical cut, and now the MGM DVD of the EE (do you think I like this film???).

Coincidentally, I just wrapped up my review this weekend, FYI...

http://www.dvdangle....iew.php?Id=3186

Cheers,

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   STLMIKE

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted July 07 2003 - 02:40 AM

On the last version of the movie on DVD (they released a DD and a DTS version separately). It's been so long since I've looked at it, is that the theatrical cut, and is it enhanced for 16x9?

The reissue that just came out, is that the extended cut only, or is there a theatrical version?

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted July 07 2003 - 08:49 AM

Mike -

The last DVDs from Image Entertainment (DD and DTS separate releases, but same transfer) include only the theatrical cut (3 hrs) and are enhanced for 16X9 displays.

The new special edition from MGM includes only the extended version (4 hrs) and is also enhanced for 16X9 displays.

I compared the two transfers in my review. They do look different.

Cheers,

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted July 07 2003 - 10:23 AM

The extended version makes 4 hours pass much faster than three. It's a more involving story and gives much greater depth to the natives--surely one of Costner's goals in making the thing in the first place.

Gorgeous scenery, and a very nice transfer--a couple spots of ringing but nothing terrible to my eyes. MGM did a beautiful job. Buy.Posted Image

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Gary_O

Gary_O

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted July 07 2003 - 10:22 AM

The packaging says that you can send in for a free MGM SE DVD with purchase. Can someone tell me what the choices are?

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 03:06 AM

There are quite a few choices for the free MGM SE DVD....about 20 in all. I don't remember them offhand, but I asked for Spinal Tap SE....I had the Criterion version so I really couldn't justify repurchasing it, but this way I get 'em both. Posted Image Thanks MGM!

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   chris_m_white

chris_m_white

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 04:30 AM

Some of the free MGM SE DVD's include:

Platoon SE
The Princess Bride SE
The Silence of the Lambs SE
Hanibal
The Terminator SE
Heartbreakers
The Last Waltz
Legally Blonde

...and a lot more. Those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. You can get one by sending either the receipt or the proof of purchase, plus a $5.95 check (to cover s/h). The same deal applies if you purchase the new Windtalkers Director's Edition.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   STLMIKE

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 08:40 AM

Thanks Felix -- I may just buy this one.

Mike

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted July 09 2003 - 03:22 AM

Thanks for reminding me about the free DVD...

I sent in for:

1st choice) Of Mice and Men SE

2nd choice) Bull Durham SE

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Don_Berg

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted July 09 2003 - 05:38 PM

I'm afraid that MGM will claim "out of stock" on all the good "free" DVDs listed, like the Terminator SE. They say there is no guarantee any are in stock and checking on the MGM website confirms most are out of stock! If neither your first or second choice is available I'm afraid they will send some DVD I don't want and then I would be out $6.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 02:15 AM

Quote:
1st choice) Of Mice and Men SE 2nd choice) Bull Durham

Sorry everyone, I got confused. This was another contest.