Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Phantom of the Opera: Ultimate Edition (silent version) COVER ART & final SPECS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,453 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted July 05 2003 - 04:55 AM

Posted Image

From dvddrive-in.com:

On September 9, Image Entertainment will be releasing a new Special Edition of the silent Lon Chaney PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Utilizing the best 35mm print of the 1929 reissue from the George Eastman House and material from the UCLA Film and Television Archive, this stunning video master features a magnificent orchestral score by Carl Davis and a stunning restoration of the Technicolor masked ball sequence! 2-Disc DVD Collector's Set! Includes Two Versions! 1925 Original Feature (110 mins.) with a Score by Jon Mirsalis, 1929 Restored Version (98 mins.) with Two Soundtracks by Carl Davis (stereo) and the Original Theatrical Soundtrack (mono).

Special features:

Audio Commentary by Film Historian Scott MacQueen
Carla Laemmle Remembers: A Video Interview Conducted by David Skal
1925 and 1930 Theatrical Trailers
Faust Opera Extract from the 1929 Tiffany Sound Feature, Midstream
Still Galleries with Deleted and Missing Scenes
9 Bonus Dialogue Sequences from the 1929 Version
Interview with Cinematographer Charles Van Enger

#2 of 14 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 05 2003 - 06:37 AM

thanks for the update Patrick

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#3 of 14 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,852 posts

Posted July 05 2003 - 07:01 AM

I love the artwork used. I've always wanted to see the 1925 cut of PHANTOM..., as well as hear the soundtrack from the 1929 reissue. Those are reasons enough to buy this, but add in all of these great extras and this becomes an absolute must have on release day!

#4 of 14 Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted July 05 2003 - 11:38 AM

This is one I'm really getting excited about. I'm glad I held off on buying another edition of this. I'm looking forward to watching the two different versions back-to-back.

#5 of 14 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,453 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted July 10 2003 - 12:56 PM

Don't forget about this release....it may go unnoticed!

#6 of 14 Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 09:40 AM

Includes Two Versions! 1925 Original Feature (110 mins.) ...1929 Restored Version (98 mins.)
Ya' know, I don't think I've ever seen the orig. '25 version. At least, not anytime recently (maybe when I was a kid; but I wouldn't have known or remembered it).

Carla Laemmle Remembers: A Video Interview Conducted by David Skal
Carla Laemmle is terrific. I loved her in the David Brownlow Universal Horror special from TCM (AMC?), and as the host of the doc. on the Universal Dracula ('31) DVD. Glad to see she's involved with this as well!

9 Bonus Dialogue Sequences from the 1929 Version
Fantastic. Have never seen the dialogue scenes, either! This disc is gonna' be a real eye-opener for me.

Anybody got any the best online price for this? I'm gonna' pre-order.
"I just pre-ordered I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, even though I have no job."

#7 of 14 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,600 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 11 2003 - 10:45 AM

I think JANUS films put out the 110min version on VHS years ago (I'm not going to dig through my box of VHS tapes in the basement to find out though:b )

Quote:
David Brownlow Universal Horror special from TCM (AMC?)

Has this ever come out on video or DVD? I missed it when it aired on CBC Canada have never found it! hopefully it will make it onto one of the Universal Monster discs.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#8 of 14 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 11:59 AM

MINE!

#9 of 14 Bill Burns

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 10:19 PM

This is odd.

Amazon was offering the title for preorder, listing its September 9th release date, but has now updated its order page to say the title is not in production. You can no longer pre-order it, but you can sign up for e-mail notification when the title is again available:

http://www.amazon.co....v=glance&s=dvd

Is this an Amazon flub, or has there been some delay with the title? DVDEmpire still lists it as arriving on the 9th. Ordinarily, I wouldn't think anything of a late update from Amazon on title availability, but again they were offering the film for pre-order and listing the September 9th release, only to change their order page to its present state. In the event they change it back, ignore this post.

“That line was screwy.”

- Outtake
Warner Bros.' Breakdowns of 1938

#10 of 14 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 12:16 AM

I sure hope that it's just an Amazon error, but they don't usually remove the release date without firm information. In fact there have been titles in the past that I know to have been delayed that Amazon didn't update until after the original release date.

I really want to see this film in a complete version with good transfer. I've only seen this once before and that was a Public Domain VHS copy about 10 years ago.

#11 of 14 Tony Scello

Tony Scello

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 01:00 AM

I have some gift certificate money at Amazon and I was just about to pre-order this title. As Bill indicates, it is no longer available for pre-order at Amazon (DVDEmpire still has it available for pre-order with a 9/9 release date). I thought that I would pre-order this one on-line since most B&M's have a very spotty record with carrying these types of older movies. Unless they have revised data on this title, let's hope it is available again soon for pre-order.
"Something beyond comprehension is happening to a little girl on this street, in this house. A man has been called for as a last resort to try and save her. That man is The Exorcist."

#12 of 14 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 22 2003 - 01:09 AM

I have this title on pre-order from DVD Empire. They are usually pretty good at notifying me when a pre-ordered item's release date changes. Therefore, if this title has been delayed I would expect an email from DVD Empire within a few days.

#13 of 14 Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted July 22 2003 - 12:54 PM

Oh man, I sure hope this is still coming out. I looked at the amazon link and it is kinda' strange. Posted Image Could it just be a glitch at amazon?

Patrick, you heard anything?
"I just pre-ordered I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, even though I have no job."

#14 of 14 Bill Burns

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted July 26 2003 - 08:24 PM

I've just checked their page again, and it's now back to normal -- you can preorder the disc for September 9th. Posted Image I reckon they were seeing if everyone was awake. All looks well.
“That line was screwy.”

- Outtake
Warner Bros.' Breakdowns of 1938