Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Phono jack distortion?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Nicholas Thuren

Nicholas Thuren

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted November 08 2001 - 11:08 AM

I have a Yamaha R-V1105 reciever. I am trying to hook my component Denon record player to the phono jack as it instructs in the manual. I do this as well as attaching the ground wire and all I get a loud humming noise and the music drowned out and completely distorted. It seems to work fine when I hook it up to the CD jacks however. Is there some obvious problem that I am missing? Thanks for any help.

------------------
"That is the worst f'n sweater I have ever seen,
its a Cosby sweater, a Cos-by swea-tah!! --High Fidelity

#2 of 7 Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted November 08 2001 - 11:32 AM

It sounds like a cartridge issue. The cartridge on your turntable may be an older ceramic type as opposed to a moving magnet or moving coil which would explain why it works with your CD input. Of course it could also be a phono input problem.

#3 of 7 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted November 08 2001 - 11:47 AM

Nicholas,

First, welcome to the Forum!

Something definitely is not right. Phono inputs are not compatible with other inputs. Cartridges have extremely low signal output, so phono inputs have built-in circuitry to accept and boost the low signal level to one the pre-amp can use. That’s why high-output equipment like tape decks and CD players can’t use a phono input with overloading it. Conversely, turntables can’t be used in other inputs because the signal is so low it will be virtually inaudible.

The fact that your turntable works fine with the CD jacks shows that something is amiss, probably the cartridge as Blaine noted. However, if it works in the CD jacks, it will work with other non-phono inputs, too. So either use one of those, or change the cartridge.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

------------------
My Equipment List

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#4 of 7 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,970 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 08 2001 - 12:29 PM

Many newer Denon turntables have a built in preamp so that they can be used with regular audio inputs and not the phono input. Which model player are you using?

#5 of 7 Saurav

Saurav

Screenwriter

• 2,175 posts

Posted November 08 2001 - 02:29 PM

That would be my guess too, I know Denon puts phono stages into some of their turntables. If that's the case, then you're fine with going to any line level input. Of course, if your turntable has a switch that lets you bypass the internal phono stage (or a second stage of outputs), then I would do the geek thing and experiment to see if the phono stage in the turntable sounded better, or the one in the receiver. After all, that's part of what makes this hobby so much fun Posted Image

#6 of 7 Nicholas Thuren

Nicholas Thuren

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted November 08 2001 - 02:48 PM

I tried the turntable through the other outputs and they work, but something just doesn't sound right. The model I am using is the Denon DP-25f turntable.

------------------

#7 of 7 Nicholas Thuren

Nicholas Thuren

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted November 08 2001 - 03:01 PM

Argh! I can't believe it was that one switch! I didn't realize about the pre-amp in the turntable. As soon as I switched it to phono it sounded MUCH better. Thank you for all your help!

Nick

------------------