Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Star Trek DVD future release info

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,814 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 07:41 AM

I posted this within another thread, but it's fading fast. I think it's of interest, and in the past, these are frequently asked. Here goes. If the admins wish to remove, please do. Richard Arnold writes a question and answer article for the Star Trek Fan Club magazine. He's also the resident Trek expert . This month's issue sees a batch of DVD related questions. He asked Paramount Home Video for information, and the answers are as follows: Re: More DE's of Trek Films? Only Star Trek 1 and 2 will have directors cuts. The rest are Special Collectors editions with theatrical cut. ( I assume Trek 6 is the home video cut) Re: Star Trek V redux? no plans, only theatrical cut, coming this fall Re: TNG CE's? expect to see CE's, too far out to know specifics Re: TOS Animated Series? No current plans, not likely if you ask me. Re: Voyager DVD's? Likely expect to see them following DS9. Re: TOS reissue in box sets? Possible, but nothing on the drawing board yet . No word on Enterprise on DVD. Interesting tidbit, some one asked if Star Trek-The Motion Picture DE will be used on TV rather then old cut. He couldn't get answer, but likely not, due to fees already paid and extra fees needed to pay for the new cut to actors, director, etc,etc. Nelson

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 08:35 AM

In a recent online Q&A session for the Deep Space Nine Avatar website, actor and writer J.G. Hertzler, who worked on the bonus features for the Star Trek IV CE DVD, said that he is currently hoping to work on the bonus features for the Star Trek VI CE DVD. However, that may change with other projects he is working on. Mr. Hertzler did confirm that he is not going to be involved with the Generations special edition DVD, but that he did get to see the tribute video to Matt Jeffries that is going to be included on that DVD release.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   JohnAP

JohnAP

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 09:15 AM

It's nice to get some word from the studio on their future plans. It's too bad there won't be a DE of Star Trek V, I might've been interested enough to check that one out, though I understand them not wanting to spend more money on a weak film. I'm glad Voyager's going to be released too. I think most of us assumed it would come out after DS9, though given the series lower profile, it didn't seem as sure a thing. Personally, I think seasons 3 through 5 would be worth picking up. If TOS series were to come out in a more affordable season set form, I'd like to pick it up too. Though, even the Star Trek season sets seem to be priced at a bit more than similar sets of other shows.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 09:28 AM

Come on! At least give us the Theatrical version of ST VI.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 11:20 AM

I'm hoping for seemless branching on Star Trek VI.
My Collection

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 11:42 AM

I don't suppose there's any chance of seeing the theatrical cut of TMP? Oh well, at least I have my laserdisc.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Dewitte

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 02:11 PM

[quote] Re: TOS Animated Series? No current plans, not likely if you ask me. [quote]
Given Arnold's track record, I'm not surprised his personal bias against the animated Trek managed to leak out.

Does anyone know what his beef is with the animated Trek? It was his (acting as spokesman for an ill Gene Roddenberry) decision to axe the animated series out of the established Trek canon. I'd just like to know why he hates it so much.

De
Retroactive Continuity - Yet another source of nuttiness on the Web!

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 02:50 PM

[quote] Come on! At least give us the Theatrical version of ST VI. [quote]
I fully agree. That unmasking scene at the Khitomer Conference belongs in an episode of Scooby-Doo, not Star Trek.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 03:48 PM

If TOS series were to come out in a more affordable season set form, I'd like to pick it up too. Though, even the Star Trek season sets seem to be priced at a bit more than similar sets of other shows.>>>> Agreed. That's too many single releases to have laying around, and not a space saver. This coming from a Dragonball Z fan with about 40 individual releases sitting around. Although, I wish they'd re-work the effects like they did for TMP. Sicne the original show is on DVD, fans shouldn't have a problem with a 'remake'. getting a bit further off topic, Now that I think of that, wasn't there supposed to be a 3D game based on new recordings found of the original cast? Whatever happened to that?

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted July 04 2003 - 01:01 AM

I'd like a TOS boxset too along with the interviews they did with the cast when they first aired the remastered episodes.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted July 04 2003 - 03:51 AM

[quote] Re: More DE's of Trek Films? Only Star Trek 1 and 2 will have directors cuts. The rest are Special Collectors editions with theatrical cut. ( I assume Trek 6 is the home video cut) [quote]
anybody know what the difference(s) between the theatrical cut and the home video cut are?

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,814 posts

Posted July 04 2003 - 04:32 AM

Dewitte: Sorry, sounds like you misinterpreted my post regarding Arnold and the TOS animated series. All he said was that there were no plans, I added my own opinion that I didn't think Paramount would release it. Though I think I recall hearing him say it was not canon at a convention once. Britton and Mark Wilson: Regarding Trek 6, again, I was assuming it would be the home video cut in my post. I don't know what the real cut will be used for the DVD. But given the past laserdisc and DVD, I figured it would be what's been released already. Neil V: Regarding your comment about redoing the effects on TOS, Did you know that some enterprising guys tried to do that in the late 90's? I happen to download a short video clip they created. It was a sequence from the Doomsday Machine where Decker is attacking the machine with the Enterprise and Kirk and Scotty get the Constellation going and fire at it to distract it. This guy actually took scenes from that episode and edited in his own CGI effects of a wrecked Constellation moving and shooting phasers and a redesigned CGI Doomsday Machine. It was not bad actually. I didn't care for the machine's design they did. Nelson

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 04 2003 - 12:12 PM

[quote] anybody know what the difference(s) between the theatrical cut and the home video cut are? [quote] Rene Auberjonois isn't in the theatrical cut (and in some versions of the home video version, they don't even restore his name to the end credits)... Thus it's implied that Spock acted on his own when rescuing Kirk and McCoy, and there's no Scooby-Doo ending where a mask is ripped off a Klingon. A few other, relatively small things are added back in (the line about Klingons not having tear ducts, I think), but those are the big ones.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,418 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 04 2003 - 11:11 PM

Are you sure about Rene not being in the theatrical version at all Jason? I seem to recall the scene with him and a pointer outlining a rescue plan and saying he will "clean their locks" in the theatrical version.Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted July 05 2003 - 01:17 AM

The old phrase is "Clean their clocks". Posted Image Try this on for size.

You know, I have never seen this in theaters. So I hope both versions are included...the one I'm familiar with, and the original theatrical presentation.

Since I already have the old DVD, I alread have the version I'm familiar with (the "Scooby Doo ending", as y'all like to call it...which I've never considered to be bad at all!). So getting the alternate, original edit would be superb.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,323 posts

Posted July 05 2003 - 01:26 AM

The line in the film is "clean their chronometers". And yes, all of Rene Auberjonois's footage was added in for the video release. So was the scene just before the trial where Valeris, Spock and Scotty talk about about the torpedo inventory. The scene is also notable for having Kim Cattral sliding down a pole, several years before Sex in the City. Posted Image

Neil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users