What's new

Genesis on SACD soon (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think the comments on the thread above that Genesis will be effectively shooting themselves in the foot by not including early stuff in the initial release are right. A hefty part of the consumer base are 40-somethings like me. Sure, the later 'pop' Genesis is enjoyable, but we want Selling England, Foxtrot and of course Lamb first. Releasing one album from each era would be a far better idea, and a good compromise to suit *all* the fans.

Having said that, I'm not ecstatic about this headlong rush into surround sound re-releases. Yes, nice for an occasional listen, but to me it's more often a gimmick than a fulfilling experience. There are of course exceptions - e.g. Tubular Bells or DSOTM. In most cases, however, I'd be far happier to see a stereo release taking advantage of the improved sampling rates *and* a 5.1 disc released in tandem. Too much to hope for from SACD, I guess. :frowning:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, all SACDs have stereo tracks. Nothing is lost by including a MCH track on the disc.

And, generally speaking, most DVD-A include stereo tracks except for Silverline titles.

I'd buy any high-res Genesis. Of course I'd prefer the old stuff, but I think the albums they're proposing can sound pretty neat in surround sound.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I would be willing to buy high-res discs of everything up through Abacab, especially if in surround.

I will not buy the last 3 discs no matter what they do.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, all SACDs have stereo tracks. Nothing is lost by including a MCH track on the disc.
I thought the stereo layer was sampled at a lower rate so it could be played by conventional CD players? Bit of an academic point for me anyway, because my SACD player obstinately refuses to play anything but the 5.1 layer. :frowning:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Those of us in the US should remember that Genesis titles here are on the Atlantic label, which is part of DVD-Audio supporter WEA. As a result, we should not expect these SACDs to be domestic titles. So, we won't see these SACDs at Best Buy and they probably won't be at Tower either. Expect to import these SACDs on the Virgin label from amazon.co.uk or similar overseas sites.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I thought the stereo layer was sampled at a lower rate so it could be played by conventional CD players?
Every SACD I own has a high-res DSD stereo track. Some have multi-channel high-res tracks, some don't. If they're marked as hybrid SACDs, then they ALSO have a standard redbook layer that regular CD players can recognize and play. But this is always in ADDITION to the SACD-only DSD stereo track.

Oh yeah - bring on high-res Genesis!! SACD or DVD-A, domestic or import, I don't care - I'll be buying 'em!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If you read the thread carefully, it appears that SACD is decided on and maybe they will add DVDA.
Um, I did read the thread carefully, and a possible scenario where they would be released as SACD in Europe and DVD-A in North America is in no way inconsistent with what was said. :rolleyes

At no point did he say that SACD would be released in all territories.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I think here in the US you will definitely see them on DVD-A as they're entire back catalog belongs to Atlantic which is part of WEA. So unless WEA starts doing SACD (unlikely) you will see these on DVDA.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I thought the stereo layer was sampled at a lower rate so it could be played by conventional CD players? Bit of an academic point for me anyway, because my SACD player obstinately refuses to play anything but the 5.1 layer
The 5.1 and high-res stereo tracks are on the same layer. If you can play one, you can play the other. You need to find the button that switches between MCH and stereo. It is the redbook on hybrids that is on another layer.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
So unless WEA starts doing SACD (unlikely) you will see these on DVDA.
If at all. With the crazy way contracts are struck, WEA may not even have access to use the hi-rez m/c versions for a domestic DVD-A. It's entirely possible that these may remain import-only SACDs here in the U.S., even if that makes no sense.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Well, all we know is that Virgin intends to release SACDs in Europe. I plan on ordering those discs. If we see DVD-Audio discs in the US, I will probably buy those too for the video content and to compare audio to the SACDs. In the end, I my only option is to import the SACDs, I'll do that happily.

On a related note, what ever happened to the Peter Gabriel DVD-Audio discs? I know that we have SACDs in the US on the Geffen label, but I thought we were going to see DVD-Audio discs too.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I'll begrudgingly buy Invisible Touch and the Yellow Album but bring on The Lamb and an expanded Genesis Live (1973) and all the other pre-80's LPs.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Expand 'Three Sides Live' to include a whole concert with Bruford on drums for '76, not just a couple of bonus tracks.

An abbreviated version from this stint was also recording for video and shown on 'Night Flight'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks