Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Genesis on SACD soon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
415 replies to this topic

#1 of 416 OFFLINE   Joe Casey

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 06:18 AM

Per Nick Davis.
Q

#2 of 416 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 06:21 AM

Damn!! You beat me to it, Joe!!!
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#3 of 416 OFFLINE   John Geelan

John Geelan

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 09:45 AM

Well thats great news!

I'll be first in line for these no matter SACD or DVDA.
JohnG

(Proud Home Theater Forum Donor)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3Onix Rockets RS550MKIIsSVS 25-31CS subwoofer

#4 of 416 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 11:00 AM

I think the comments on the thread above that Genesis will be effectively shooting themselves in the foot by not including early stuff in the initial release are right. A hefty part of the consumer base are 40-somethings like me. Sure, the later 'pop' Genesis is enjoyable, but we want Selling England, Foxtrot and of course Lamb first. Releasing one album from each era would be a far better idea, and a good compromise to suit *all* the fans.

Having said that, I'm not ecstatic about this headlong rush into surround sound re-releases. Yes, nice for an occasional listen, but to me it's more often a gimmick than a fulfilling experience. There are of course exceptions - e.g. Tubular Bells or DSOTM. In most cases, however, I'd be far happier to see a stereo release taking advantage of the improved sampling rates *and* a 5.1 disc released in tandem. Too much to hope for from SACD, I guess. Posted Image

#5 of 416 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 12:14 PM

I would vote for the old stuff too.

Quote:
they will be released in SACD hybrid

Hopefully these discs don't end up cracking and flaking all over the place too... Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#6 of 416 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 12:16 PM

Andrew, all SACDs have stereo tracks. Nothing is lost by including a MCH track on the disc.

And, generally speaking, most DVD-A include stereo tracks except for Silverline titles.

I'd buy any high-res Genesis. Of course I'd prefer the old stuff, but I think the albums they're proposing can sound pretty neat in surround sound.

#7 of 416 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 04:23 PM

I would be willing to buy high-res discs of everything up through Abacab, especially if in surround.

I will not buy the last 3 discs no matter what they do.

#8 of 416 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 06:47 PM

Quote:
Andrew, all SACDs have stereo tracks. Nothing is lost by including a MCH track on the disc.

I thought the stereo layer was sampled at a lower rate so it could be played by conventional CD players? Bit of an academic point for me anyway, because my SACD player obstinately refuses to play anything but the 5.1 layer. Posted Image

#9 of 416 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 11:56 PM

Those of us in the US should remember that Genesis titles here are on the Atlantic label, which is part of DVD-Audio supporter WEA. As a result, we should not expect these SACDs to be domestic titles. So, we won't see these SACDs at Best Buy and they probably won't be at Tower either. Expect to import these SACDs on the Virgin label from amazon.co.uk or similar overseas sites.
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#10 of 416 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted July 04 2003 - 02:50 AM

The thread also mentioned DVD-A possibilities, so we might see DVD-A here instead of SACD.

#11 of 416 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted July 04 2003 - 03:25 AM

Quote:
The thread also mentioned DVD-A possibilities, so we might see DVD-A here instead of SACD.

If you read the thread carefully, it appears that SACD is decided on and maybe they will add DVDA.

Quote:
they will be released in SACD hybrid (they will play stereo in normal CD players) and possibly DVD-A

Posted Image Happy July 4th everyone!
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#12 of 416 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted July 04 2003 - 05:06 AM

Quote:
I thought the stereo layer was sampled at a lower rate so it could be played by conventional CD players?
Every SACD I own has a high-res DSD stereo track. Some have multi-channel high-res tracks, some don't. If they're marked as hybrid SACDs, then they ALSO have a standard redbook layer that regular CD players can recognize and play. But this is always in ADDITION to the SACD-only DSD stereo track.

Oh yeah - bring on high-res Genesis!! SACD or DVD-A, domestic or import, I don't care - I'll be buying 'em!! Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#13 of 416 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted July 04 2003 - 09:57 AM

Quote:
If you read the thread carefully, it appears that SACD is decided on and maybe they will add DVDA.

Um, I did read the thread carefully, and a possible scenario where they would be released as SACD in Europe and DVD-A in North America is in no way inconsistent with what was said. Posted Image

At no point did he say that SACD would be released in all territories.

#14 of 416 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted July 04 2003 - 01:19 PM

I think here in the US you will definitely see them on DVD-A as they're entire back catalog belongs to Atlantic which is part of WEA. So unless WEA starts doing SACD (unlikely) you will see these on DVDA.

#15 of 416 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted July 04 2003 - 01:44 PM

Quote:
I thought the stereo layer was sampled at a lower rate so it could be played by conventional CD players? Bit of an academic point for me anyway, because my SACD player obstinately refuses to play anything but the 5.1 layer

The 5.1 and high-res stereo tracks are on the same layer. If you can play one, you can play the other. You need to find the button that switches between MCH and stereo. It is the redbook on hybrids that is on another layer.

#16 of 416 OFFLINE   Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted July 04 2003 - 04:28 PM

Quote:
So unless WEA starts doing SACD (unlikely) you will see these on DVDA.
If at all. With the crazy way contracts are struck, WEA may not even have access to use the hi-rez m/c versions for a domestic DVD-A. It's entirely possible that these may remain import-only SACDs here in the U.S., even if that makes no sense.

#17 of 416 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted July 04 2003 - 11:56 PM

Well, all we know is that Virgin intends to release SACDs in Europe. I plan on ordering those discs. If we see DVD-Audio discs in the US, I will probably buy those too for the video content and to compare audio to the SACDs. In the end, I my only option is to import the SACDs, I'll do that happily.

On a related note, what ever happened to the Peter Gabriel DVD-Audio discs? I know that we have SACDs in the US on the Geffen label, but I thought we were going to see DVD-Audio discs too.
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#18 of 416 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 08:21 AM

I'll begrudgingly buy Invisible Touch and the Yellow Album but bring on The Lamb and an expanded Genesis Live (1973) and all the other pre-80's LPs.

#19 of 416 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 04:20 PM

Quote:
expanded Genesis Live (1973)

Now *that's* a great idea... Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#20 of 416 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted July 08 2003 - 05:41 PM

Expand 'Three Sides Live' to include a whole concert with Bruford on drums for '76, not just a couple of bonus tracks.

An abbreviated version from this stint was also recording for video and shown on 'Night Flight'.

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow