-

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help calibrating...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 MarcWi

MarcWi

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 04:20 AM

I finally got a level meter (Theya re on sale at RS this week!) Anyway, Im using the ovation disc form best buy, and heres my dilema: Calibrating dolby, DTs, or the receiver (Pioneers VSX-D811s) all give me different settings. I don't know which to go by! Any advice here....

Thanks...

#2 of 8 ChadLB

ChadLB

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 07:08 AM

Read the following:
http://www.hometheat....553#post650553

#3 of 8 MarcWi

MarcWi

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 08:37 AM

Thank you and I had read that. However, using the method it recommends, I find the settings are different depending on which test I use. Which is the one to go by? In other words, if I calibrate to DTS, it is off for Dolby. If I calibrate to Dolby, the other is off. Lilewise for the systems own test tone genrator.

#4 of 8 ChadLB

ChadLB

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 08:47 AM

When you say off what do you mean by off. I use the Sound & Vision one and for DD my receiver volume is set at -27 and DTS -32. All speakers settings end up being the same for both DD/DTS.
Don't worry about using the Receivers test tone. Use the disc...it is more accurate for DD/DTS then the onboard test tones.

Any questions let us know.

DTS movies are about 4db higher than DD movies..

#5 of 8 MarcWi

MarcWi

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 09:02 AM

Maybe Im crazy or doing something wrong, but to me it seems that the speakers volume relative to each other is different depending on which test I do.

#6 of 8 MarcWi

MarcWi

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 09:22 AM

Further testing leads me to find that on DTS the rears are louder thatn on dolby....

#7 of 8 Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted July 04 2003 - 02:49 AM

Quote:
speakers volume relative to each other is different depending on which test I do.

The problem is the test-tones use slightly different frequencies and your speakers produce different volumes for the two.

Audio is complex. Can you pick 1 frequency to be the 'reference' when adjusting your system? Of course not. You have tweeters, midrange and woofers, each better at some frequencies than others.

So test-tones are a random-static mix of sounds that try and shotgun all the drivers in your speakers. But the receiver, the setup disks each use a different "random" selections of sounds which produce different results.

The answer is: pick one, use it, dont worry about the other tests.

As long as all your speakers are calibrated with the same test, you have level-adjusted your system with the same source.

#8 of 8 MarcWi

MarcWi

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted July 04 2003 - 03:36 AM

Thaks for the advice!