What's new

DVD Soon -- under construction (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Anyone with pending orders should be aware that the DVD Soon website is undergoing a massive renovation, and there is no way for either you or customer service to determine the status of pending orders. They just sent out a mass email to people who had made inquiries, saying that they hope to have the problem rectified shortly.

Bad timing for me, as I had a fairly large order in process when the "renovation" started, but watcha gonna do?

M.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
The also cannot cancel any orders and none will be shipped until the whole redesign is finished.

Free shipping policies changed as well.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
They must be kicking themselves, because the redesign is taking much longer than they expected.

Someone must have done some manual review of the records, because I got a message yesterday (July 4) confirming that my order was shipped out just before the site went down. Probably would have been here yesterday but for the holiday.

I hadn't noticed the change in free shipping policy. I'll have to check it out. With the changes in exchange rates, it's already a less attractive option.

M.

danak

Second Unit
Their shipping prices to the US have gone through the roof it seems. It used to be under $3 (US) for one title; now it's at least twice that. Has the exchange rate really changed that much or did DVDSoon raise prices on their own? Either way, their shipping is now more expensive than I want to pay, unless I get titles that have free shipping.

Dana

danak

Second Unit
Hmm, that's very strange. I just checked DVDSoon's website again and the shipping rates for the US have gone back to what they were before. I'm fairly sure that the rate for one title was about 7 or 8 CAD just yesterday and now it's back down to 3.98CAD. Did anyone else see that or could it just have been a web glitch with all their constuction going on? Does anyone know if they really are going to substantially raise their shipping prices?

Dana

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I saw the same thing with the standard shipping rates, but it looked like a mistake, because standard shipping had become more expensive than ExpressPost. Today it looks like the mistake has been corrected.

The site still isn't fully operational, though.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Update: They're still working on the site, but new orders seem to show up accurately in your account. The currency converter appears to be working again.

All orders through the end of July get free shipping, if you choose "standard" shipping.

M.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Their website is totally screwed up, IMO. Their FAQ's don't match the way things work, I don't receive confirmation e-mails, not all orders show in pending, no expected dates for out of stock items (which seems to be almost everything, why don't they list stock status?) their policy of charging credit card at the time of ordering is BS, nobody else does that, and they say 4-6 weeks is normal delivery time.

They give BS excuses as to why you might not get their e-mails, and why they *have* to charge your CC right away, as opposed to the industry "standard" of when an item is shipped. With their scheme, basically they get huge cash flow for free, and not have to have any product or operating expenses to short-term cover. What's wrong with putting CC info in the database, everybody else does it? Answer: it's advantageous for them not to, but a pain for the customer.

The good things are their prices, shipping policy (at least for me), and reasonable information for titles (something most sites, even the biggies, are sadly lacking).

Anyway, I have not yet received anything from them, not even an e-mail, I'm a new "customer". Doesn't bother me at all, I will have my CC charge reversed if I haven't got anything from them by the time I get the CC bill. Really, if a site is not working, don't put it up! Why do amateurs not understand that you don't put new software into service until it's working...see this all the time on the web. Pros leave the working software online until the new software works. Bad software creates bad impressions.

Sorry for the rant, but they've been allegedly working on the site for about a month and it still seems the same to me!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Though I have *still* not got a response from these guys by e-mail, they shipped my long-standing order the day after I e-mailed them. So I suspect the new system doesn't properly notify them, unless by a fluke the day I asked about my order all 4 discs came in. For that matter, their "contact us" doesn't work properly, so skip it, use regular e-mail.

Also, my latest order doesn't show up in their system, though it was accepted. Don't want to re-enter it in case I get 2 of everything, and to top it off the prices increased the day after I ordered...bummer.

They should at least put up an honest statement like DVDPlanet, more honest would be better, and say the system is f-'d up. People will find out soon enough, and people get even more annoyed when they've placed an order and don't know what's up. Admit I was kinda warned by another member, but I think things are much worse now than he inferred.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Admit I was kinda warned by another member, but I think things are much worse now than he inferred.
I think you mean "implied". :)

If you're talking about the posts in this thread, then I don't see anyone trying to assess the extent of the problem. We're all just reporting individual experiences. Yours confirms that the site still isn't working reliably. OTOH, I placed an order about 10 days ago, it showed up in my pending orders, and now it shows in my shipped orders. I'm just not getting reliable confirmation emails.

M.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have to admit I only discovered this section of the forum a few days ago, so my warning wasn't from this thread. About a month ago another member said the shipping might be "slow" due to the new system. It's not like I'm in a hurry, it's just that I like to know how an order stands. Not receiving e-mails is IME not normal for online ordering.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Not receiving e-mails is IME not normal for online ordering.
Oh, I agree. I placed just one order after the site appeared to be back, so that I could see what worked and what didn't. And it was just for one title (a box set). At the very least, I won't place another until that one actually shows up.

They must be losing a lot of business to this "upgrade".

M.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Got my first order, so it only took about 2 days after I e-mailed them. Everything perfect, good packaging. Great!! Only thing, there was no invoice...is that normal? I like to keep a record (and JIC for insurance).

Also, resubmitted my "lost" order from a few days ago and now it shows up in the system, AND actually got a confirmation e-mail!

So, no real complaints at all except that the new system creates lots of frustration. After all, their reputation has heretofore been good. I guess I have learned to be proactive with the system if things seem awry. :):)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks