What's new

New Cover Art - Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
That's just a terrible cover.

Doesn't represent the film well at all.

Of course the studios have to sell the DVDs by showing the faces, so I guess I can't blame them.

Surprising they didn't include Julia Roberts name or face on the cover.

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
The original cover art is so much better, the studios are trying to entice the public to buy (or rent) the DVD by recognizing the actors on the cover, which I think is pretty unnecessary. :frowning:

Unfortunately, the large image of the actor is now becoming the standard for DVD releases. :thumbsdown:

BTW, I really hated the new cover art for "Footloose" they shouldn't have messed with that. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
That is by far the worst cover art I have ever seen. Period. Even worse than Signs or any other controversial cover we have discussed. I was able to get the poster and now I'm glad I did.

How I loathe the noggin shots. :angry:

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I wonder when some of these studios will realize that the moviegoing public and consumers in general actually have a memory and might remember a distinct image associated with a movie hence, making the DVD purchasing process slightly easier by using the original art instead of possibly confusing people with new and uncreative DVD artwork. In other words if a movie can be identified by a single image, the poster artwork, and that remains consistant through to the DVD release, I wonder if that would inturn generate more money and possibly less confusion.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
With all due respect to the original theatrical poster (and, indeed, with all due respect to the film, which was my favorite of 2002), that poster didn't help sell too many tickets. Although Miramax's entire marketing plan for the film bears much of the blame for the poor box office run, I can't blame Miramax for trying something different for home video.

All I care about will be what's encoded on the disc itself...

DJ

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well the cover sucks BUT considering that the film went nowhere with the general public they probably figured it was pointless to keep selling the film in the original manner. It feels like a move of desperation to me.

And wasn't this film getting rereleased at the theaters, or did they scrap that idea?

Anyway, hopefully someone will make a high rez cover available in that poster art format because the new cover has replacement written all over it.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I wonder when some of these studios will realize that the moviegoing public and consumers in general actually have a memory and might remember a distinct image associated with a movie hence, making the DVD purchasing process slightly easier by using the original art instead of possibly confusing people with new and uncreative DVD artwork. In other words if a movie can be identified by a single image, the poster artwork, and that remains consistant through to the DVD release, I wonder if that would inturn generate more money and possibly less confusion.
You're giving the average consumer too much credit. I recommend watching/listening to consumers as they browse the DVD section.

I can't count how many times I've seen someone pick up a title and claim to the person their with - "hey, this one's got so-and-so in it". Other than bigger blockbuster pictures, and films they've seen seen already - the average consumer won't remember what played at their local cineplex 6 months earlier.

These are generally the same people who purchase P&S DVDs. They just don't care as much about films/DVDs as members of this forum.

Like it or not, the studio's are smart for capitalizing on the images and names of the actors. It works.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
Looks like some artists over at DVDCoverArt.com will be busy in the coming months.

High School leads to McDonald's. McDonald's leads to Telemarketing. Telemarketing leads to Car Washes. Car Washes lead to Community Colleges. Community Colleges lead to -- major Hollywood studio DVD cover art departments!;)

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Not only is that new version one of the suckiest covers ever, I can't figure out how Drew Barrymore ended up getting top billing in this movie!

Maybe the studio thought that the theatrical release was soooooooooooooooooo long ago, that the disc needed a new sleeve to improve its chances.

Whatever, I'll be picking this up as soon as it's released, but that new cover is history as soon as a replacement is available!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Not only is that new version one of the suckiest covers ever, I can't figure out how Drew Barrymore ended up getting top billing in this movie!
Perhaps because the billing is alphabetical by last name? She had top billing in the original theatrical poster, too.

DJ

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They should just offer original art on the flipside

Ship it with noggins, let us flip it over for Artistry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks