Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

connecting 2 subwoofers

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   chun

chun

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted July 02 2003 - 01:59 AM

hi all. like most beginners i listen to shop dealers and take their advice as gold, everyone of them tell me something different. i have a jenson SPX 17 sub woofer, and there are 2 inputs(left and right) and one output from my reciever (Denon avr 1800). i understand to use a splitting cable or a cable that separates into 2, however the shop owner advised me to use a normal rca cable and connect to either left or right input in the sub since it was a mono signal. is this correct? also, i was recently given another subwoofer. i want to connect both of them up to the reciever, -can i just use a splitter to separate the output signal from the receiver? both are active subs. -where would be a suitable placement of the 2nd sub. my jenson is in the front left corner of my room. and my last question, on the back of the jenson sub, there are outputs for speakers, does this mean i can connect up more speakers other than the ones already connected in the reciever. thank you

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   ColinM

ColinM

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts

Posted July 02 2003 - 02:42 AM

1. Yes, one input only is correct. Although there is nothing WRONG with splitting and using both, it's not necessary. 2. Yep - split and send it to both, place the 2nd sub on or near the other. Stack if possible, as long as the present spot gives good results with the single. Always try to find the best spot for the sub. 3. The speaker outs are filtered - no bass there, and they need to have the speaker "in" connected from the rec. to be active. Not for a second pair... Good Luck!
You call that a knife?

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   chun

chun

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted July 02 2003 - 10:17 PM

thanks for your help colin. doesnt splitting the signal decrease performance? just like if you split a tv antenna and feed into 2 tvs? i dont want to be greedy at the cost of poor subwoofer performance how about another question.. i have my floor standing speakers sitting on stands. and when im in my sitting position, the tweeters and drivers are not at the same level to my ears. if i turn the speakers upside down (making the tweeters in line with my ears) does that effect the performance in any way. from my logical thoughts it shouldnt. or should i not have them on stands and place them on teh floor since they are termed floor standing speakers. thanks

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   ColinM

ColinM

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 01:07 AM

1. No loss in quality. The signal is quite strong and could survive several splits. 2. The tweets should be on the same plane as your ears, or as close as possible. Suit to taste in your own way. I have NHT SuperOnes, and for a time I had them upside-down, to bring the tweeters in line with my ears. Subtle difference, but it was a bit better, musically speaking. However, this moved the center's tweeter farther out and that bugged me mentally so I now go back and forth, listening for minute differences. Ahhh, the insanity!
You call that a knife?

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,937 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX

Posted July 03 2003 - 06:34 AM

Chun, To slightly clarify Colin’s response, splitting the sub’s signal indeed will not result in a decrease of signal performance, only a slight decrease in the signal’s level. However, this is easliy compensated for with the sub’s gain control. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt
My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Agustin

Agustin

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted July 03 2003 - 11:18 AM

very good answers guys, i hope i can be at your level someday
Acdbulls in other games forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users