What's new

1st Post - Question on Receiver / DVD (1 Viewer)

Wade.Pe

Auditioning
Hi all. I had a bit of a browse around the forum yesterday and was very impressed. Clearly there is a lot of knowledge out there.

I was hoping some of you may be able to provide me with a little advice.

I'm moving from the UK to the US shortly, so none of my existing electronics are going to work. Even if they did, my TV and sound system at the moment are very low end, and it seems like a pretty excuse to buy new stuff anyway :)

Whatever I end up getting needs to sound good, look good, and be reasonably simple to set up and use. I would also prefer something that is discrete (small speakers etc). I'm happy to spend around $2500, but if I found a system that does all that for bit little more or less, thats OK too.

Until yesterday when I started doing some proper research, I thought the Bose Lifestyle 35 may have been a contender - it also has a 'dual voltage' option which would mean I could take it with me when I head back to the UK or Australia.

After reading almost nothing positive about Bose, I've taken the LS 35 off my list, but would like to find something components similar in size / style with decent quality sound.

I found Anthony Gallos mentioned quite a few times in the forums, and their speaker look to fit the bill precisely (subject to a test listen obviously).

So now my questions:

Is there anything else that compares well to the Anthony Gallos speakers for form and function?

Can anyone suggest a combined receiver / DVD / CD that might work well with these that fits the criteria I set out above?

Am I seriously limiting performance at this price point by specifying a combined receiver / DVD?

Is there anyone (other than Bose) that make dual voltage equipment?

Sorry for the long first post. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Wade

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum, Wade. And to the States when you arrive. I am assuming that your budget does not include a TV, since you mention perhaps taking equipment back to the UK or to Oz. You may have experience that you can get NTSC to work on PAL displays, but I can assure you that the reverse is much more difficult.

My recommendation after this last weekend is different than it would have been before. I just heard the Onix Rocket ELT system and was very impressed.
This link has qjuite a few pictures and some considerable discussion of these speakers. I heard the setup this weekend and thought it excellent for the price for HT and very good for music.

The speakers were driven by (as I recall) a lower-end Denon receiver, which was perfectly adequate for the task. The president of the company told me that the system was designed with this kind of receiver in mind. Something in the $300–$500 range will do nicely. So added to the $900 speakers you are at $1,200–$1,400.

You should get a multi-region DVD player, as it looks as though you will need regions 1, 2 and 4. I have a Samsung that I got in Australia, but I can’t remember the model number. And one that will also handle PAL and NTSC and do the conversion. Malata makes models (not progressive scan) that do this. I read a while back about a Phillips (DVD-963SA) that seems as though it would meet your needs. These DVD players will cost $300–$600 dollars. Brings your total to $15–$2,000.

I would advise buying a separate receiver and DVD/CD player. If you can find one that handles both 110 and 220 volts it will make life easier. Otherwise you will have to buy a converter when you move back.

You have plenty of money left for cables (and an S-VHS ($250) VCR). You could also consider a PVR, but there is no way that this will work when you return.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Am I seriously limiting performance at this price point by specifying a combined receiver / DVD?
IMO, yes. You should be able to get a receiver and DVD player for under $500 that will be a significant step up from an all-in-one unit. This will leave you $2k for speakers ($600 sub & $1400 for L/R/C & surrounds).

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator
Since your budget allows, you should check out svsubwoofers they seem to be the best value in bass right now and $600 will get you a 20-39PCi sub. They are big though so they may not be for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks