Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Apple Cinema HD Display?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Estevan

Estevan

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted June 30 2003 - 11:28 AM

NOTE: i've cross-posted this in the "Display Devices (TVs/Projectors)" forum, as it seems that the topic applies equally to both forums; however, if the moderators feel this cross-posting to be redundant, please accept my apologies feel free to delete it.

is anyone using this as a primary display? i realize it is a bit pricey considering it is only 23", but, believe it or not, that size will fit my immediate needs much better than my current display (Unity Motion UHD-3200). i'm in the process of finishing up my Ph.D. and am going to be doing a post-doc for the next two years; as a result, moving my current system twice is going to be cost-prohibitive (at least once cross-country!), so i'm going to try to sell it off and downsize to a smaller, more portable system (a two-channel system with a smaller display like the Apple Cinema HD). i was thinking i'd use the display in combo with a DVDO iScan Ultra, connecting it to the display via the Apple DVi to ADC adapter, this way i can use set-top sources (ReplayTV and progressive-scan DVD player) as well as computer sources... if anyone has experience with this unit, or is using a similar setup, i'd be interested in hearing your opinions about it.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted July 01 2003 - 04:16 AM

The pixel speeds on the Apple displays is notoriously bad. There are many better LCD monitors out there, probably cheaper-- and you can just throw a TV tuner card in your PC and use the PC for all duties (I do this for my bedroom - TV, DVD and Alarm Clock functions all integrated into a bedside PC).

-V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted July 30 2003 - 09:30 AM

I just got my 23" HD Display last Thursday and it is SUPER SWEET!

Definitely one of the best monitors I have ever used. It is so clear and bright that when I switch over to my 19" Trinitron Dell monitor on my PC, it looks as though I am wearing sunglasses.

Seriously. Truly Amazing! Posted Image

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter

• 1,402 posts

Posted July 30 2003 - 10:02 AM

They switched panels in February (without announcing it). The new panels are FAR better. 25MS total average response time instead of 40ms. Brighter, better contrast, and more even colors.

If I didn't get a Samsung 24.1" widescreen TFT, I would have grabbed one of those apple ones.
Home Theater Forum Sponsor