What's new

Robin Hood, Sierra Madre, Yankee Doodle Dandy - 2 Disc Specs (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Warner Home Video has announced the latest crop of classic films getting 2-disc treatments. Due on September 30th are The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and Yankee Doodle Dandy. WB will recreate the moviegoing experience of yesteryear with these new "Night at the Movies" special editions. These will include shorts, newsreels, cartoons, and trailers from the year of the films' initial release. The discs will be available individually at $26.99, or in a gift set at $69.92.

The Adventures of Robin Hood will include "Warner Bros' Night at the Movies 1938" (Angels with Dirty Faces theatrical trailer, a vintage newsreel, the Warner musical short subject "Freddie Rich and His Orchestra," and the cartoon "Katnip Kollege"). Other extras include a feature length commentary track by author and film historian Rudy Behlmer, a music-only track,trailers for 12 Errol Flynn movies, "Glorious Technicolor," a one-hour documentary about the color process narrated by Angela Lansbury; the 65th anniversary documentary "Welcome to Sherwood: The Story of The Adventures of Robin Hood"; "Rabbit Hood" and "Robin Hood Daffy" Looney Tunes; the short subjects "Cavalcade of Archery" and "The Cruise of the Zaca"; "Robin Hood Through the Ages" (a look at earlier screen adaptations); "A Journey to Sherwood Forest" (a collection of home movies and behind-the-scenes footage); outtakes and bloopers from Warner's 1938 productions; the Robin Hood National Radio Broadcast from May 11, 1938; composer Korngold’s piano lessons (audio only); and other material.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre will include "Warner Bros' Night at the Movies 1948" (Key Largo theatrical trailer, a vintage newsreel, the "So You Want to be a Detective" short, and the Looney Tunes short "Hot Cross Bunny"). Other extras include a commentary track with Bogart biographer Eric Lax and trailers for 12 Bogart films; "John Huston: The Man, the Movies, the Maverick" feature length documentary; "Discovering Treasure: The Story of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"; the 1950 Looney Tunes short "8 Ball Bunny"; scoring sessions; the April 18, 1949 Lux Radio Theater broadcast of the story; and other material.

Yankee Doodle Dandy will include "Warner Bros' Night at the Movies 1942" (Casablanca theatrical trailer, a vintage newsreel, the short "Beyond the Line of Duty," and the Looney Tunes short "Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid"). Other extras include a commentary from Behlmer and trailers for seven Cagney films;"James Cagney: Top of the World" biographical tribute hosted by Michael J. Fox; "Let Freedom Sing!: The Story of Yankee Doodle Dandy" making-of documentary; the Looney Tunes shorts "Yankee Doodle Daffy" and "Yankee Doodle Bugs"; the wartime short "You, John Jones" starring Cagney and Greer Garson; audio-only outtakes and rehearsals; the Oct. 19, 1942, Lady Esther Screen Guild Theater Radio Show with the film's cast members; and other material.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
There's only one of these films I want (Adventures of Robin Hood), but I may actually buy the other two just for the extras (such as the cartoons). :)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Warner Bros. had a press event yesterday to announce these releases, and a friend of mine who writes about DVD for one of the local trade papers attended.

They did a demonstration of what the special features on the discs would look like, and then had a full screening of the fully-restored ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, on which they have used their "Ultra-Resolution" technology, the same process they used on SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

They stated that all three films have been restored ON FILM from their original camera negatives, and the result of this will be on each DVD release.

Lastly, they mentioned that the three films will also be sold in a WARNER BROTHERS LEGENDS gift set that will contain a free bonus feature docu disc HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU, WARNER BROS. This is something I bought on laser about 10 years ago, and it's terrific. Much better than those awful TNT documentaries done for their 75th anniversary a few years ago. (..and I can't wait to see those LOONEY TUNES too!)

While I like SIERRA MADRE, I am over the moon at having YANKEE DOODLE DANDY, no less a sterling ROBIN HOOD revealing all that beautiful Technicolor photography. You can keep Kevin Costner. To me, there's only one Robin Hood, and that's Errol Flynn!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is absolutely INCREDIBLE news.

The gift set sounds like the way to go --
especially for the added Warner Brothers
documentary disc.

Just plain about time that these films see
the light of day. I am a huge fan of Cagney
and love YANKEE DOODLE DANDY. look forward
to seeing Robin Hood and Treasure
of the Sierra Madre
for the first time.
Yes, you read right, I never saw these films.

Hope this paves the way for more Cagney
releases (one of the most ignored actors on
DVD) including White Heat and Angels With
Dirty Faces

Again, this is absolutely thrilling news and
I am very happy to see Warner Brothers is putting
such care and thought into the overall viewing
experience of these titles.

Thank You, Warner!

SteveP

Second Unit
The current print on TCM of ROBIN HOOD looks pretty damn good. so this disc should look FABULOUS.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Wonderful. Wonderful. Wonderful.

We should all send our thanks to Warners for such a loving treatment of these classics. I hope that they are rewarded with big time sales.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Robin Hood :emoji_thumbsup: I can't wait to have this film on DVD. WB are doing a great job! Will it contain 5.1 and mono tracks?

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Wow! Robin Hood was definitely worth the wait. The Criterion LD also has a commentary by Rudy Behlmer. I wonder if they licensed it to WB.

Oh, and thank you Warners for not releasing it on September 2. I don't think my credit card could handle another DVD purchase on that day.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been patiently waiting for this announcement and now I can't hardly wait until September 30th. Here's hoping that "Angels with Dirty Faces" is not far behind with it's trailer being on the "Adventures of Robin Hood" dvd.

Crawdaddy

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
Truly wonderful news, I just hope their sales encourage Warners to open the vaults on more classic Flynn, Cagney and Bogart films!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Although not in the same league as ROBIN HOOD, Flynn's MASTER OF BALLANTRAE (still an entertaining adventure) comes to DVD from Warner this week (according to Amazon and other sites).

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
*GASP* :eek:

Agh! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Holy smokes! Amazing news. I knew these were coming, but I never expected such lavish treatment! The John Huston documentary is one of the very best biographical film-related documentaries I have ever seen - a must see for fans of the great man.

Has the "Glorious Technicolor" docu been shown on TV, or is it all-new?

For many, the boxed set is a genuine must-have.

Oh! Great, great stuff! Woo-hoo! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Warner! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Gordy

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I, too, am blown away by the specs of these essential films. The box set seems like the way to go--should sell for around 50 bucks when it's (inevitably) discounted--for three loaded 2-disc Special Editions, plus a bonus documentary?? What a deal. Bravo, Warner!!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The box set sounds great. I will be getting all three films.

look forward to seeing Robin Hood and Treasure
of the Sierra Madre for the first time.
You're in for a treat. Both are all time classics. Errol Flynn's Robin Hood wipes the floor with Kevin Costner's attempt at a remake.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Great news,I was wondering if it would ever come but the extras probably make these worth getting on their own !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks