What's new

DS9 Season 3 question (no spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
To let you know how far I've gotten, I watched Life Support earlier tonight and am champing at the bit to watch Heart of Stone (I am addicted to this show!) here in a bit. I've tried very hard to limit myself to one a night, but it's too easy to go for just one more. Thing is, the show is not yet so very different from seasons 1 and 2: all watchable, some hits, some misses. I have heard how the show really takes off in season 3, and I'm wondering if there's some kind of tipping point. No spoilers please, but maybe an episode name or a "just wait, you're about to get there." That second approach might be more fun. :)

Just to reiterate, I am not complaining about the show at all. As far as I'm concerned, it could continue on like seasons 1 and 2 for the remaining 5 seasons and I'd be happy. I know it doesn't do that, though, and I'm wondering if I'm just blind to the changes or haven't yet experienced them.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Ahh, so I just need to be patient. Thanks, Mark. Tragically, I only have a few discs left to go in season 3, so I should be hitting that point soon. :D These sets make the months just drag by. I can't wait to see Worf soon! :emoji_thumbsup:

Edit: I better rephrase that. Time flies when watching the sets, but the time between sets is unbearable.

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
There is a ton of character development in the second half of the season. You are pretty much at the begining of the really good stuf. :) Everybody in the cast gets their own episode to really explore the character.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Re: Life Support

This was a pretty tough one. I liked Vedek Bareil, and will miss him. Kira's last scene was pretty moving.

This is a very good show, and I'm glad you guys talked it up so much before it was released on DVD. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
There was a point before DS9 was released where I thought I'd not buy it. TNG had always been my favorite, and I'd just spent $700+ owning that set. Another $700 to own DS9 too? We're talking $1400 in trek episodes. Way too much money.

Then, Season 1 came out and I thought, OK, I'll just get this one. Then Season 2 came out and I got a "deal" on it. I bought Season 3 retail at Best Buy, and now have no hope of not buying the rest. I love this show so much more the 2nd time around than I did the first time. The DVD picture is clearer than my initial viewing. I appeciate the depth of the show a lot more.

It is still "overpriced" but ... life's short. I love it.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Well, form another camp, I liked TNG when it aired, but I just do not feel that it his holding up now.

DS9 is, IMHO, the BEST overall Star Trek series. Watching the first 2 seasons (holding off on season 3 until we get the re-fi on the house closed) I felt that the series does not look dated, and the stories are still very relevant.

With TNG sputtering to an end on the big screen, and (again, IMHO) a lifeless Voyager that would not translate to the big screen, I think paramount was way too short sited to destroy the DS9 sets. I think DS9 would translate very well to the big screen.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think most fans agree that the signpost of the start of absolute excellence of DS9 is Sisko shaving his head :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It does give you pause when you actually look at how much money you've sunk into these sets, so I try not to do it. :D

Actually, it hasn't been that bad. I've basically paid for them by ceasing all other DVD purchases. With a few exceptions here and there, I haven't bought anything but Trek boxes since December of last year, when I finally started getting the TNG boxes. I only have four of those so far, and all of the DS9 sets. Unlike most of you, I plan to buy Voyager as well, so there's still a lot of spending left to do. And, a lot of catalog titles to go by the wayside to make it possible. :frowning: Unfortunately, there are some other TV boxes I want in the near future, so it's going to become a little tougher. At least they're cheaper than what Paramount asks for Trek.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It could be worse you guys, I spent a ton buying the TOS on Laserdisc in the late 80's, then TOS on DVD, then TNG on DVD, now DS9 on DVD.

Nelson

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
All seven seasons are fine, but the powers that be/were really endeavored to ramp up the bells and whistles in the fourth season, even to the point of jazzed-up theme music. One thing that hurt this series with the non-cogniscenti was its reliance on multiple-episode story arcs. By the fifth through the final season, it seemed, at times, like a single story told in 26 individual segments. Not just a simple two-parter, but entire season-long macro-arcs. A casual fan could not simply "drop in" for an hour's worth a entertainment, as they could with TOS or TNG.

But it worked with the true fans. So, they ended up enjoying "their" flavor of Star Trek while Rick Berman and Brannon Braga used Voyager to further whatever agenda it is they seem to have. The franchise never recovered from this split, and now it is pretty much on life support.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Having finished watching season 3 (some episodes watched for the first time), I came to the conclusion that I much preferred season 2. In fact, season 3 was probably the reason why I lost interest in DS9 till the end of season 6.

There are some decent episodes, but more duds, and the duds are worse than their season 2 counterparts. The Kai Winn episodes were terrific, of course. Rewatching the Garak episodes, I thought less of them second-time round. On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed "Explorers", which I disliked on first broadcast.

But I'm looking forward to the "bald Sisko" episodes. :)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
The other thing I meant to mention is DS9 was shown on WGN here, which is a Tribune Broadcasting Company. Tribune Co. also owns the Chicago Cubs. During baseballs months, WGN often pushed DS9 to all kinds of weird days and times in order to broadcast Cub games. I tried as best I could to catch these, but it was a time before TIVO, and I had to manually set the VCR when I knew it would broadcast at a "special day and time". I missed a few, and it was plain irritating. Watching it this way is MUCH preferred.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Ds9's first 3 seasons were pretty much a set up of the way things were in there part of the galaxy. Lots of charector developement and charector intros. Then once season 4 started it never looked back. I watched Way or the Warrior the other day and i still said "DAMN" at one part i dont want to spoil :)

capt

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Mikah, when this happens, you must call to complain each and every time. Be loud, be obnoxious, and tell them to show the damn baseball game at a "special time". There's only about 160 of them a year, surely they can skip a few

Terry St

Second Unit
It does give you pause when you actually look at how much money you've sunk into these sets, so I try not to do it.
Tell me about it! I honestly suspect Paramount could have released these sets all in January, but decided to spread it out over the year in twelve easy payments instead. ;) Still, it would have been nice to be able to buy all seasons together in one super-deluxe bookshelf-busting box set, perhaps at a slightly discounted price.

On that note, I have heard rumors about a box-set of TOS coming out at some point, perhaps after Voyager. I'd love to have TOS on disc, but I've been putting off buying the episodes separately because of these rumors. Has anyone heard anything more about it?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy TOS in season boxes

I do wish that Paramount would produce some empty boxes for the sets. I'd pay $15 for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks