What's new

Official Star Wars Galaxies Discussion (1 Viewer)

NickC

Second Unit
Anyone buying this game at release?

I have heard of servers being down, registration problems...

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I'm buying it today if I can find it. Dunno when I'll actually play, since I don't have a credit card, but hopefully in a week or so I'll be up and running.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
A quick glance at the SWG forums seems to indicate the typical first-day blues. Swamped registration and login servers, and whatnot.

I'm somewhat surprised, since Sony's EQ experience should have helped them avoid such problems.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I'm buying it today if I can find it.
You would do well to wait a few weeks before even bothering Chris. I bought the game for the review Im working on for the site (I had originally planned to buy but wait for at least a month to sign up) and lets just say the experience has been nothing but a hassle. 3 hours to subscribe (and mind you I had to install Mozilla to even get the subscribtion page to work).

Servers were completely down because of Oracle database problems yesterday and have been up and down all day. Current announcements suggest gamers should expect intermittent gameplay all weekend as the servers are patched and game stability is leveled out. In talking with the game devs they are thankfully not considering yestersday part of the free month.

Welcome to beta 4 or as I like to call it Star Wars Galaxy Offline.

I had a running joke with a friend I work with who also purchased the game. The tag line for Star Wars Galaxies is "Get ready to experience the greatest Star Wars saga ever told....Yours!" our version was:

"Get read to experience the greatest Star Wars saga ever told....REGISTRATION!"

None of this suprises me as this is fairly par course for the MMO community. Its just ashame really.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Well, I bought it, and waited all day at work to play it. Then I got home, got it registered, and couldn't log in :angry: So I was forced to play BF1942 all night :D

I assumed that SOEs experience with this would have helped to keep these problems to a minimum. I was already worried about the game from all the bad vibes from the people in Beta, and this isn't helping.

But, on the bright side, I am looking foward to playing this weekend (if possible). Its my first time playing a MMORPG. My only hope is that it will be fun for a casual gamer. I will probably only be able to play about 5-10 hours a week.

I'm interested to hear others experiences with this.

-Marshall

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with you guys for the most part... Went ahead and picked this up yesterday at lunch, registered from work (Took a few hours but didn't have to use Mozilla) and played for a couple hours when I got home (left a little early ;) ). From what I did play it was fun and absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Well, here's hoping they get this at least "playable" for the weekend :)

BTW: Playing as Cain on Bria and Magness on Ahazi. See you guys online...

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Romier, thanks for the heads up... But I just got home with it. :D I'm gonna install it tonight, play around for a bit on it.

Maybe those of us that are playing can meet up on it? Once I register and everything, I'll post my character name and such.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I'm considering picking it up tonight. I've heard all the negatives on it and have to admit - they're probably accurate. Still, I've got a fair amount of curiosity about it. One question for those in the know: How many characters can you create per server? Total?

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
One character per server....that's a bit harsh. I guess in one way it's nice in that it may reduce the amount of twinking. Still, to try out a different character you have to start a character on a different server (that is allowed, right?) or delete the one you've been playing. How many servers are there currently? Will your one account allow you to create a character on all of them?

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Romier, I'll create a character on your server tonight. Anything you recommend? I was kind of thinking about becoming a bounty hunter.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I was kind of thinking about becoming a bounty hunter.
You wont start a bounty hunter Chris. Youll need to start as a Marksman or Scout I believe and work your way up one of those trees to get to the Bounty Hunter class. Also be aware that the BH class is a pet class, as in you will be using your droid pets quite a bit. Its a very popular class nonetheless.

I'll be a bit later Chris at around 11:00 or so if you want to meet up. My character will be in Naboo (Theed). His name will either be Thrale, Vrale or Krale depending on what the server allows. Just send me a tell and well hook up.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
The Starside server is alway "Full" when I try to get on. But I will try to meet up with you in Theed tonight.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
The Starside server is alway "Full" when I try to get on. But I will try to meet up with you in Theed tonight
Its full for me as well so I was not able to create my character yet. If for some reason I cannot do so at 11 Ill create him in Bria. We can meet there worst case scenario.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I was able to create my character on Starside. I'm in Theed now, near the cloning area. My characters name is Tsovuss, or Tzovuss. I'm a Trandoshan, and a damn good looking one at that. :)

I'll be back on at 11PM EST to look for you.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Good luck. Im still trying to get my character created on Starsider. I have to say this server cap nonsense is just utterly annoying.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Well, played SW:G for about 5 hours last night, and I really enjoyed it. It's not the greatest game ever, but it was fun wandering around Naboo and Tatooine, and learning a lot of stuff about the game. Romier, you're a great teacher. :D

I was finally able to get on Starsider this morning, and created my Trandoshan wanna-be bounty hunter. He is in Theed right now, looking for a CDEF rifle. His name: Tzovuss. I just created him this morning, so I haven't actually done anything but set up the UI for him so far.

I'm going to be out most of the day, but I'll be on tonight to play for a few hours. Romier, or anyone else who's playing (On Starsider) feel free to look me up.

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
question for all who are playing. Do you need a ccredit card to register? I know you get a free 30 day trial, but is this anything like XBOX live where you need a credit card even though you are free for the first while?

NickC

Second Unit
I am on gorath, jurgan Wagner, is my name, marksman and medic, right now or corellia in the capital city.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks