Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie, looking to purchase a projector, shall I start with the Infocus X1?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 DarrenChan

DarrenChan

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted June 26 2003 - 03:53 PM

Greetings,

My family has decided to build a home theatre in the basement of our home. I had originally set out to order the Dell 3200MP (back during a weekend of triple stack coupons) but the order was eventually cancelled. Right now I'm looking at the Infocus X1 because of the current deals and favorable reviews (aside from the rainbow effect). I've also read that the following units are popular as well including the Infocus X1.

Panasonic L300U
Sony HS10
Infocus X1
Sanyo PLV-Z1

I'll get around to the other components later as of now I'm looking at projectors, and although I really don't have a limit, I'm a person who loves deals hence the current focus on the Infocus X1.

I believe that the computer will probably take center place in our home theatre and am torn as to what to do. I know the Infocus runs at 800 x 600, which I can set the computer down to when playing movies, aside from that is there anything else I should take into consideration? I can always use this for a year or two and then upgrade to another projector when I become more knowledgable. Problem is the Infocus wouldn't make that great of a presentation projector given its resolution.

I've read many threads similar to this: http://www.hometheat....=&pagenumber=1 really great reviews aside from the rainbow effect some people experience. If the computer wasn't going to take center stage in my home theatre, I would go ahead and purchase this. Has anyone really use this particular projector with a computer extensively?

I'm going to do a little more digging into the other models to check their prices and weigh the pros and cons of each model before making a decision. The current $100 rebate expires at the end of the month so I'm probably looking to purchase a projector by then.

If anyone can please offer some input regarding the Infocus X1 when used with a computer, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

BTW a lot of people over at the AVS forums recommended the Sanyo.

-dc