What's new

A/B switch. How do I get sound from B speakers only??? (1 Viewer)

Jack Pike

Auditioning
Hey guys.

I have a Yamaha 5240 receiver. I hooked up some 125 watt JBL outdoor speakers to my "B" section. These speakers are outside by my pool, and I wanted to have sound from them without sound coming from any of my indoor speakers. Well, after pushing the "B" button, I got sound from the outdoor speakers, but I also got sound from my 2 rear surround sound speakers.

How can I keep my indoor surround sound speakers the same and get sound from the outside speakers without any sound coming out of the indoor speakers???

Please help.

Thanks

Jack Pike.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Aren't there menu speaker selection options? The A/B switch is only to switch the mains - usually from the 2 channel pair to the timbre matched HT pair - or for just plain old comparison.

On my 4ES, I can select what speakers I want for whichever output, so I'm guessing that yours should have something like that too.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
If you have a "Stereo" setting of some sort that'll do it. Yoy maust have your receiver set up for a surround mode of some kind.;)

Matthew-K

Stunt Coordinator
Just what brent said. Make sure you select "stereo, or the right "DSP" field so its not on surround mode. Also, make sure that when you select the "B" button, you also switch off the "A" button.

Jack Pike

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies.

The Stereo setting does work to a point. When I put my receiver on "disco" or "rock" mode it turns off the Center speaker from the inside surround sound speaker setup. But, it still doesn't turn off the two rears from the inside surround sound speaker setup.

I got a reply in another forum from a guy who said it has to do with the digital connection to the DVD/CD player. Using a digital connection from the DVD/CD player to the receiver automatically puts the speaker in surround sound mode, and bypasses the A/B speaker option. He said that if I also connect basic rca audio cables from the DVD/CD player to the receiver "CD In" and put my receiver in "CD mode", that I then could get sound from the "B" speakers only. (ofcourse after pressing the "B" button and depressing the "A" button) So, I'm going to try that.

Thanks for any more info everyone.

Jack.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
That doesn't sound right to me. Using the digital cables from the deck to the receiver simply bypasses the internal DAC's of your DVD player, it should have nothing to do with A or B speaker settings. Disco and rock modes along with any other DSP's will process the stereo signal into some form of surround. You must have a "Stereo Direct" or Bypass or Acoustic or some such mode to give stereo only. It's gotta be there somewhere keep looking.;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about your receiver, but my NAD T762 has two buttons (on the front panel and duplicated on the remote). One is Speaker A, the other is Speaker B.

The default is Speaker A. Simply pressing Speaker B turns the B set to "On" but DOES NOT power off set A.

I have to press the Speaker A button, which then makes the receiver say "Speaker A Off"

So: to switch from only A to only B, I have to press the Speaker A button (to turn them off), and then press the Speaker B button (to turn that set on).

My old Sony receiver had a toggle knob, going from Off to A, to B, to A+B, so it was something new to me to have to power off A at the same time as turning on B, since on the old receiver I just had to turn knob from A to B and it took care of switching A off for me...

BrentPollard

Second Unit
It doesn't seem that he is having any trouble switching from A to B. Rather he gets rear info, which means that there is some DSP processing goin' on. Gotta find "Stereo Direct" or whatever it's called.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks