What's new

The Lecter Variation (2007 title: Hannibal Rising) The Story of Young Hannibal Lecter (1 Viewer)

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Hey Hannibal Fans!!!

I found this posting on http://www.moviem.com dated back in May/03.

A new Hannibal Lecter film plotted by Lecter's creator Thomas Harris.

Screen Daily says that producer Dino De Laurentiis will be developing The Lecter Variation which is currently being plotted by Lecter's creator Thomas Harris.

The film, which is being subtitled "The Story Of Young Hannibal Lecter", follows the serial killer from his childhood in Lithuania through a period in Paris in his teens to his arrival in the US. De Laurentiis said that four actors will be required to play young Lecter at the ages of 12, 16, 20 and 25.

"Lecter was born into a very rich family but the war destroyed his family and killed his parents," explained De Laurentiis. "He was left with his sister with whom he had a very close relationship."

Universal, which handled international distribution on Hannibal and the world on Red Dragon for De Laurentiis, will again distribute The Lecter Variation.

Harris has written the story for the producer and is likely to write the screenplay himself as well as a book. The title refers to Bach's Goldberg Variations which have been a recurring musical reference in the Lecter saga to date.

I will be looking forward to this and hopefully it happens. :)

Let's see who they cast as the young Lector???
Any takes on who do you think would fit the role????

How about Christian Bale (American Psycho)???

OcieB

Stunt Coordinator
they should get hopkins again, just make him get lypo and like 20 face lifts, then good make up people, and special effects.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They should get Haley Joel Osment and Christian Bale for two of the Lecters. They both look like they could show his transformation into evil (Haley looks more innocent, Bale looks evil already if he plays it right).

chris rick

Second Unit
Not to post a thread fart here, but IMO they should just leave it alone. Of course they won't because these films make money. Hannibal made money, but had only a few good moments. Red Dragon was a sorry excuse for a "re-telling" of the far superior manhunter, it was just flat. Sure they felt the need to do the material again, especially since the new film shared the same title as the book--and all of a sudden you have people going, "my god there was another book all along, and now they're making it into a movie!"--while most are completely unaware that Manhunter even exists.

The legacy of Hannibal Lecter is a cash cow, and they will make these films even after all integrity has been stripped from the character. That plus, enough is enough, let's move on to some new material, IMO it's rather shameful for an author (and not very "artistic" to me) to never move on to telling NEW stories. I don't see Stephen King telling the same story over and over, do you guys?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, his last "childhood buddies with a psychic connection discover a plot by a demon/alien/goverment conspirators to destroy the world and save it" was wonderful. :) (Just kidding).

As long as they don't run out of steam, I don't have a problem with the series continuing. Heck, compared to some novelists, only four books about one character would be considered "restraint". I would like to see some of his earlier life, but I hope they refrain from adding too many quotable catch phrases and keep it serious.

I'm drawing a blank on who would best play him at different ages, but I would suggest finding unknown actors. Losing any baggage found with someone like Haley would be nice.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Sure they felt the need to do the material again, especially since the new film shared the same title as the book--and all of a sudden you have people going, "my god there was another book all along, and now they're making it into a movie!"--while most are completely unaware that Manhunter even exists.
Well, I'm glad the studio didn't think the way you do. I've been aware of Manhunter ever since I read "Red Dragon" just after "The Silence Of The Lambs" came out, and in my opinion it lacks any form of tension, has a completely unlikable lead, has a decent villain (though Fiennes was far more menacing), a great actor (Brian Cox) who just doesn't fit the role of Lector (or Lektor if you will) and a terribly dated score. I'll freely admit that my preference for Hopkins as Lector may be because I saw "The Silence of the Lambs" first, but I just don't think Brian Cox has quite the same charisma in that role.
"Red Dragon", while no "Silence of the Lambs" was a good movie that redeemed the series after the abysmal "Hannibal", one of the worst movies I've ever seen from a disappointment standpoint. Sure, it isn't as bad as a 1,000 other movies, but I expected more from a movie with Julianne Moore, Ray Liotta and Anthony Hopkins and directed by Ridley Scott. Of course, after reading the book I should just have been thankful that it was better than that pile of garbage.
Bring on "The Lector Variation". It could be interesting, as long as it is more of a character study and less of a one-line fest.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I'll see it! Anything about Hannibal Lecter I'll buy into...and Christian Bale would make a perfect young Lecter...oh yes he would!

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Ugh! Matt Damon...dont get me wrong I really like Damon...but he aint a Lecter...give me someone like Christian Bale anyday!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Hmm, I would look at Andrew J. Ferchland, the kid who played the anointed one in BTVS as the 12 year old Lector(I'm sure he's that age now). He has a creepy yet totally innocent look about him.
I'm not sure about 16 but I think the 20 and 25 year old could be played by the same guy. I'm thinking along the lines of Ryan Gosling. Now before you laugh, think of him in a role like Danny Balint in 'the Believer'. A torn young man with a bit of the "nutties". Plus he isn't a household name that may detract from the movie.
As much as I like Christian Bale, I would be thinking Patrick Bateman the whole time.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
"Red Dragon", while no "Silence of the Lambs" was a good movie that redeemed the series after the abysmal "Hannibal", one of the worst movies I've ever seen from a disappointment standpoint.
And who was to blame for that??? That's right boys and girls, Thomas Harris! He's the one who wrote the craptastic Hannibal book, and the other 2 decent ones.

Remember, the books before the movies. Blame the source, not the "adaptation"

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Lecter at 12: David Dorfman (Aidan in "The Ring")

Maybe a too-obvious choice, but I think he could pull it off.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
He can't be creepy or scary when he's young. In order to show how evil he is, you have to start out with him being innocent, but allow the young character to look evil if he has to. Otherwise, try to choose a kid that looks like Anthony Hopkins as a child and who can act, not one who looks especially unique.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
"Red Dragon", while no "Silence of the Lambs" was a good movie that redeemed the series after the abysmal "Hannibal", one of the worst movies I've ever seen from a disappointment standpoint.
Well ya know...some people actually like Hannibal...and some actually love the movie and the book...like me...and it made a shit load of money...so I dont think its a disappointment...and it scared the crap outta people...it got the job done and then some if ya ask me...

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
I thought Hannibal the book was far superior than Hannibal the movie...yet the movie was still passable even if they took EXTREME liberties and completely changed the ending to satisfy the general movie going public

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I thought Hannibal the book was absolutely outstanding, although I seem to be the only one who does. That was a few years ago, maybe I won't like it now. Hannibal the film was poor, but Ridley Scott's visual style, especially during the italian scenes, saved the movie for me. Red Dragon was good but too mainstream. Oh, and Hans Zimmer's score for Hannibal was easily the best thing about that movie. I can't wait for Harris' new book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks