What's new

Turntable for encoding CD's (inexpensive) (1 Viewer)

I'm putting together a HTPC that I also want to use as an MP3 server. I have a Pioneer 511 receiver (no phono input) with JBL speakers and sub (love the sound.) I'd like to encode all the vinyl records that my wife and I put carefully into storage to play back on the HTPC. I don't plan to use the turntable much after encoding the albums and have severe budget constraints. Been reading threads about buying old turntables and using them but it appears that a new cartridge, belt and preamp would be needed. I'd be well over $100 for that plus a decent used turntable (like a Pioneer PL112D).

J and R has Audio Technica, Sony, etc. brand new line level output turntables for $100. What is the quality level of these units compared to refurbing an old turntable? Which way to go?

Most of my albums are in good (probably not perfect) condition. Please email me at [email protected] with responses as I don't get a chance to visit this forum nearly as often as I'd like. Thanks.

-Scott Kilbourne

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up a new Audio Technica AT-PL270 (I think) for about $320 out the door. Great table, with okay needle. I've been recommended a much better needle for audiphile listening when the time comes. $170 dollar needle though. What I have now is good enough for starters. I'm impressed so far. I know little about turntables other than the best ones are super fussy. So far this one has been easy. Only drawback - no autopark. All manual. But it's got a nice platter, direct drive, nice arm, plenty of adjustments, AND DIGITAL OUTPUTS (in addition to the analog of course) for your CD burning needs. Just wire the digitals into your computer and go to work. Pitch control +/-20% lets you dial in your favorite tone or beat tempo - a feature I never thought I 'd want until I actually used it the other day on some electronice (LCD Soundsystem) and it sounded MUCH better at a slower tempo. It's really a entry level DJ table - with felt slip mat and all. I was told it is something of a standard in the DJ realms. I translated that to mean for me (non-DJ)that needles and parts availability will be there years down the road when I need it due to its current popularity.

That's all I can vouch for. Good luck.

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
Guess I missed the date on that one, but maybe you've been saving your pocket change since last summer and aren't in the same budget crunch.

It's great to have a table again.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Try one of the Stantons with digital outs. Should simplify matters. Street price is approximately $200 (50% discount) for a new one although it might be available on ebay. What're you going to use to clean up the ticks and pops?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks