Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

s-video vs component video on analog tv

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff_Garcia

Jeff_Garcia

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted June 25 2003 - 07:05 PM

hi i have the older sony wega model 27" and since my tv doesnt support progressive scan i just used s-video cable. do you guys think i would get a better picture if i used component cables instead? if there's very lil difference then i wont bother with it. by the way i use the toshiba sd4800 dvd player. too bad i wont be using those fancy progressive features in that player.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted June 25 2003 - 07:10 PM

If you use a cable of the same relative quality as your s-video cable, you will not see a significant difference. Between s-vid and component, there is a greater difference in color presentation than in image quality. 27" is right about the point where you will start to benefit from component. It all depends on how much of a difference you are willing to spend money for.

If your display is not calibrated, you will almost certainly see no difference.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff_Garcia

Jeff_Garcia

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted June 26 2003 - 06:04 AM

thanks john u seem to be the 1st person everytime to reply posts. i dunno maybe its cause were related? .. j/k Posted Image

well i only have one component input in my tv and my gamecube occupies that spot. my denon receiver has component inputs but its 27mhz, but i dont think it'll matter since my tv is analog. Besides, i dont like runnig video cables through my receiver cause it might just make the video quality even worse. im thinking of just getting an s-video cable from bettercables.com , but right now i'll just do a lil research on this stuff before i spend $$$

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted June 26 2003 - 05:27 PM

Hehehe, just helpin out my fellow Garcias Posted Image I just want some autographed footballs in exchange LOL.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 01:14 AM

27 MHz is much more than plenty for your A/V receiver to handle 7 MHz component video inputs for an "analog" TV. Although 27 MHz is not technically enough for 1080i HDTV, you can generally get away with it because so few TV sets today can show the loss of horizontal resolution compared with the required 37 MHz.

My own preference is to use the component video for movies (the DVD player) and the S-video for games.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.c...ynejr/video.htm

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 05:02 AM

My bedroom system is built around a four-year-old 27-inch Toshiba, and the difference between S-video and component-video is quite remarkable. Colors are much more vivid and evenly saturated through component-video, and the image has more snap, sharpness, and vibrancy. For me at least, whenever component-video inputs are an option, I use 'em.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Ozzie

Ozzie

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 07:25 AM

Don't meant to change the subject but...
Jeff, your not the star quarterback for my San Francisco 49ers are you?

Just curious...

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted June 27 2003 - 07:52 AM

Similar to Jack, when I went from a basic S-vid to a fairly expensive component cable, I gained a very noticable improvement in color. I did not notice any gain in resolution, but the more vivid colors seem to make the picture "POP".

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff_Garcia

Jeff_Garcia

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 10:58 AM

just to let everyone know that im not that quarterback from the 49ers. Posted Image thanks for replying everyone