What's new

"I'm catcher, you're the pitcher!" A new Ren and Stimpy Question... (1 Viewer)

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Hi all....with the new Ren & Stimpy coming back tomorrow night I decided to see what the website had in regards to video clips.

I stumbled across this

http://www.thenewtnn.com/shows/anima...ideo1_hi.jhtml

It uses Real player as far as I know.

Can anyone tell me what it is that is "actually" going on? I know now that Nick is not at the controls and therefore isn't censoring anything that they would have, but 10 years ago when I watched this show, I never got the impression that these 2 were so, uh, intimately involved so to speak.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
From all indications, this ain't your kids' REN AND STIMPY. John K. was continually censored by Nick during the original run. Not so anymore. It could be interesting.

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
They were "involved" in the original, too. Didn't you notice that the two were always living together? Or that the Ren assumed the role of husband and Stimpy assumed the role of wife? They were always involved, it was just never referenced so graphically before. And I'm sure that a few sexual references probably slipped by Nick (hell, "Rocko's Modern Life" had plenty. Chokey Chicken, anyone?).

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, I found the blatant homosexual connotations to be a bit dishearting. I know I was much younger when this show was in it's prime, but I never thought of them as gay for some reason. After all, there were some scenes where Ren was attracted to female characters, "Marooned" would be an example. I guess that the old ones may have had the "Roles" of Ren as a husband and Stimpy as a wife, but obviously it was never as blatantly shown that they were gay. I did find the gross out humor to be pretty much on par. Also, Stimpy's new voice is going to take some getting used to.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, this clip was played on the ramp-up for the channel's party @ the Playboy Mansion. It kinda blindsided me too; I wasn't aware that they were a couple either. I'm thinking the same lines as Mr. Lowe - because they lived together meant they were gay? A butch chihuahua and feminine cat. Wow, that puts a whole new spin on the series.

:rolleyes

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, this clip was played on the ramp-up for the channel's party @ the Playboy Mansion. It kinda blindsided me too; I wasn't aware that they were a couple either. I'm thinking the same lines as Mr. Lowe - because they lived together meant they were gay? A butch chihuahua and feminine cat. Wow, that puts a whole new spin on the series.
Well, their living together may not have hinted that the two were gay, surely sharing a bed would have. Or Stimpy frequently dressing in women's clothing.

WillG, you're right about Ren being attracted to women, but there was also plenty that portrayed the two as life partners. Remember "Ren's Brain"? In it, Stimpy cuts out Ren's brain. To compensate for the lack of a brain, Stimpy fills it with other organs. The result is a brain that doesn't know that it's been taken out of its body, and assumes that it's still Ren. The body, on the other hand, is just as stupid as Stimpy. Ren's brain comes home from work to find Stimpy with another chihuaha, and Ren's brain flips because he thinks that Stimpy is cheating on him.

I think that the two's sexual orentation changes as the episode may see fit. After all, Ren and Stimpy wasn't a show known for having a lot of continuity.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I can't find it right now, but I recently read an interview with JohnK that addressed this issue.

Basically, Ren and Stimpy are lifelong partners due to circumstance. Stimpy is completely in love with Ren, and it shows, even in the original episodes to a certain extent.

Ren isn't gay, but can't really do any better than Stimpy so he'll simply take what he can get. If a hot female Chihuahua (or female anything for that matter) came knocking, he'd be gone in a heartbeat.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I agree, It was better when it was implied. But I never actually thought of them as gay. It always seemed to me that Ren was the Adult and Stimpy was the child.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
As a big fan of the original, words can barely express how disappointed I am with the direction this has suddenly taken. I knew they would push the envelope a bit, but I was expecting ambiguity, at worst. I respect everyone who likes this, but I for one do not wish to follow homosexuality into the bedroom. I suppose it's only fitting this airs the same day as the U.S. Supreme Court decision.

Thank God for Star Trek--otherwise I might have to give up TNN/Spike altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks