Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

treating mdf?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 12:22 PM

with stain? i dont really want to paint it, i would like the looks of stain better. its for my 2 flexy racks, i plan to route the edges sometime soon, and while i have the shelves off, i'd like to give them some color. what do you guys think? we tried to use a primer-sealer, but the test board just kept sucking the stuff into it and drying within 1 minute, i'm sure we could have repeated this task for hours. i'd like somewhat of a glossy finish. any help is appreciated.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#2 of 8 Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 12:34 PM

You can stain MDF but the edges will get darker than the faces. You will still need to seal it after staining and I'd recommend a sanding sealer compatible with whatever clear finish you use on top of it. The sanding sealer will seal the edges much better than a regular clear coat, but will take several applications. Let the coats dry before applying any more, as the edges will just keep drinking it in initially, and may swell the edge.

Pete

#3 of 8 Chris Keen

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 04:19 PM

I remember watching a program on the DIY channel where they were making some bathroom cabinets (IIRC) out of MDF, and that they went through a process of sealing the MDF with what I recall as a sanding sealer. They also stained the MDF and then used a glaze on top (I think) and came out with a pretty damned good looking finished product. I was actually impressed that they could get MDF to look so good with stains. I assume the details may be documented on www.diynet.com but I'm not sure?
Chris
Marantz sr8200
Onix Rocket 750,200,250 speakers
Panasonic rp82

#4 of 8 Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg

Screenwriter

• 2,573 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 11:45 PM

I've never stained MDF and am surprised like Chris that the results were good on that TV show. You can paint MDF with good results IF you use a thick/high solids paint. The latest trick is to use truck bed liner, which is thick and has a textured surface so you don't have to worry about getting perfectly even layers. I painted a pair of my BoseBusters with hammered finish spray paint and it actually came out good. I would never try to paint MDF with regular thin paint, either flat or glossy - I've learned the hard way.

Chris, where have you been? Built anythin lately with that new saw? Why don't you attend one of our movie or poker (completely legal) nights?

#5 of 8 Chris Keen

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted June 25 2003 - 10:47 AM

Hank, I'd love to. I only have weekends off 50% of the time. So timing becomes a bit of an issue. I haven't had time to build much of nuthin' lately. I've been too derned busy. I do catch up on the forums when I can. I don't post much, but I'm browsin' quite a bit.
Chris
Marantz sr8200
Onix Rocket 750,200,250 speakers
Panasonic rp82

#6 of 8 Jeff_Hunt

Jeff_Hunt

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted June 26 2003 - 05:43 AM

It's entirely possible to paint MDF with a good lacquer based paint and a spray gun. The trick is to use plenty of sander sealer on the edges and then at least 2-3 coats of primer. Sand it smooth, dust it off with a tack cloth, and then spray nice and even with a spray gun to attain a nice glossy finish. I worked in a custom furniture shop during college and I painted alot of MDF this way.

I know alot of people don't have access to a spray gun, but I've actually achieved good results with a spray paint can of lacquer based paint and one of those trigger handles.

#7 of 8 Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg

Screenwriter

• 2,573 posts

Posted June 26 2003 - 06:10 AM

Chris, come to the poker game at Scott's Friday night. If you're on duty, come by in your squad car, knock on the door and announce that you're raiding the game to scare the guys.Posted Image

#8 of 8 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 08:55 AM

thanks for all the replies guys, as soon as i get some free time, i'll be trying the suggestions. and i should be able to scare up a paint gun, my dad has a small home improvement business, and we have a professional spray gun. the big pain in the ass will be taking the racks apart again!

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!