Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone do pre-cut MDF circles?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit

• 397 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 02:56 AM

Since we don't have access to a band saw, we're gonna try doing the cuts with a router and a piece of cable. How does one do an inside cut (like for the speaker hole?) - seems to me that as you got to the end of the cut, the piece would break, and you'll get deviation...

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,213 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 03:02 AM

Circle Jig.

The most popular are the ones from Jasper

http://www.partsexpr....ID=10577&DID=7

I used a Multi-Purpose Router Guide kit from Sears for mine ($20), and got a lot of use out of it. You may only be able to find it in stores, it doesn't show up on their website.

For that last bit of cutout that's not "perfect", that's what sand paper is for.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit

• 397 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 03:48 AM

Yeah, the jasper jigs would work for the 15" and 6" holes, but I don't think that the 24"ish end plugs are in its realm of operation... Just had a thought - I've got some scrap aluminum - time to do math...

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 03:59 AM

If you have a plunge router, make your circle with a few passes. If you're doing 3/4" MDF, take about 3/8" the first pass. On your second pass take about 1/4", leaving about 1/8" of mdf all the way around. Then do your final pass. As you go around pull the router up in a few spots, move it over 1/2", then plunge back down. Basically the idea is to leave 3 or 4 small tabs that are 1/8" thick and about 1/2" wide. They will support the piece so it doesn't drop in. Then you just cut these little tabs out with a utility knife and take out the piece. John

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge

Producer

• 3,719 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 04:31 AM

If I have to cut a hole when the cabinet is already assembled I don't worry about the piece falling in. Do like John said and make the depth of your final pass really thin. That way, when the center does go to fall in it only breaks off a tiny bit which can usually be knocked down with some sandpaper. Oh, and Jasper does have a larger jig that's meant for cutting table tops. I'm tempted to get one, but I figure it would be of limited use since I haven't had to cut anything over 18" yet.
Brian Bunge
RAD Home Theater

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Tommy T

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 04:48 AM

Home Depot. All the Home Depots in the DFW area that I've seen carry 24" MDF rounds. Not sure if they cut them there or are shipped that way. Give them a call, can't hurt. Tommy

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg

Screenwriter

• 2,573 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 05:16 AM

Place a piece of scrap that is larger than the diameter of your "through" hole on your work surface. Lay a couple of strips of double-sided carpet tape across the scrap. Peel the paper backing off the tape. Place your MDF on the scrap and cut your through-hole, taking about 1/4" progressively deeper cuts. When you cut through the MDF on your last pass, the scrap inner circle of MDF will be free but neither it nor your new driver bafle will move since they're being held in place with the carpet tape. This method works.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele

Producer

• 3,184 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 06:32 AM

I just use my 18 Volt Ryobi Roto Tool with the circle guide works great! 3/4" MDF in one pass.
Brett DiMichele
brettd@nospamyukonwaltz.com (remove nospam)

Too Much to list!
My PhotoBucket              My Buttkicker Wireless Advance Kit Review

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 06:55 AM

Home Depot sells 24 inch plywood circles, 3/4" thick, I used these double thickness on my Sonotube at each end (4 total, 2 at each end glued to make 1.5". ) Forget the price tho.....

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   NathanH

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted June 25 2003 - 05:07 AM

I've seen the pre-cut wood circles at HD and Lowe's as well up to 24". Price was ~$10 or so I think.... I used a Rotozip with circle cutting attachment for mine. Worked out pretty well, but I would have preferred the more powerful router for a cleaner cut all the way around. Anyways - it was cheaper to use my existing Rotozip than to go buy a router with accessories. Nathan
Lights. Camera. Action.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users