What's new

What happened to "On the Road" movie? (1 Viewer)

Cagri

Second Unit
I remember reading On the Road was being filmed and would have been released in last March. Brad Pitt as Neal Cassady. Does anyone know what happened to that project?

Tim Raffey

Stunt Coordinator
I think it would probably (further) alienate fans of the book--but I guess that happens all the time.

If you're just interested in what it would be like, Don Shebib's Going Down the Road--I think--caught a lot of the tone and style of the Kerouac book (which, incidentally, is perhaps the most adored in my circle of friends).

John Watson

Screenwriter
I can't remember its name, but there was a TV (?) movie I saw in the 90's based on some of the characters of that era, and Nick Nolte played one of them.

I wonder if that made it to DVD?

The number and quality of movies based on stories by/about the Beat Generation would make an interesting thread.

PS I watched BUCKETS OF BLOOOD the other night, for a satire on Beatniks. :)

Cagri

Second Unit
The number and quality of movies based on stories by/about the Beat Generation would make an interesting thread.
Good idea. We can discuss it in thread if you like, though it is a bit off topic.

Although you said by/about the Beat Generation, I tend to expand the Beat concept to a level that all the movies that make me feel a certain way are beat films for me. Easy Rider and Barfly are the ones off the top of my head. I think both of them were great films. Among the more recent ones Fight Club is my favourite.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I think BARFLY is one of the great movies. And Bukowski didn't make running shoe commercials.

THE SHELTERING SKY was released on DVD, but NAKED LUNCH is still in the kitchen.

Personally, I'm not waiting for either. I eventually got FIGHT CLUB, and altho I need to see it again, I was not impressed with my first watch. :frowning:

Cagri

Second Unit
I have always wondered why any other Bukowski book or story hasn't been filmed except Barfly which he wrote to be filmed anyway. I think there is an Italian made film starring Ben Gazzara though, which I haven't seen... Ham On Rye, for example, would make a great movie IMO. Well, actually I think all of his novels and most of his stories would make enjoyable films.

John, I strongly recommend you to give another chance to Fight Club. When I first watched it I had mixed feelings about it as well. It was like the story was too unreal and there were glitches in it but after another try I filled in the empty spaces and saw that everything has its explanation in the film.

Tim, I searched for Don Shebib and Going Down the Road in amazon website but nothing comes up. Is it released on DVD?

John Watson

Screenwriter
Amazon is listing DESTROY ALL RATIONAL THOUGHT with William Burroughs for August release.

I've never heard of it. There is no info on Amazon, perhaps its a documentary?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks