What's new

Is My Stones CD a Hybrid ??? (1 Viewer)

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
Just got the Abkco remastered 'Hot Rocks' CD but i'm having trouble playing the SACD layer on my Pioneer 45a (655A in Australia) player.

It only says 'CD' when inserted and even setting the player to play 2 ch SACD layer it still won't register as a SACD.

Are all the Abkco remastered Stones titles from 2002 hybrids? Or am i doing something wrong?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
In the US they were issued in digipaks with a note on the inside about DSD/SACD. Also, the Pioneers generally require you to go on to the on-screen (audio) menu to select which area of the hybrid SACD you want to access (e.g. stereo CD layer, stereo SACD layer, multi-channel SACD layer) by default.

cwhite

Second Unit
I just bought that today and I have a DV45A. No problems here. All the ABKCO CD's are hybrids. I suggest taking it back and trying another one. If that doesn't work, my guess is there's something wrong with the player.

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
The discs i got came in a jewel case - not a digipak. It does have 'DSD Remastered' down the front spine and also refers to both DSD and SACD technology in the insert.

HMV also had digipak versions which were slightly more expensive but the only difference i could find was they included an 'authentication certificate'.

Maybe the SACD hybrids are the digipaks only...

Dammit...i've just ordered DSOTM and Norah Jones Hybrids from Amazon so i'll wait for those (which i know are hybrids) and see what happens.

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator
Ah - no they're not then. The jewel case versions sold here in Australia are just CDs (despite the misleading 'DSD Remastered' stickers on the front), not SACDs. To get an SACD, you need to get a digipak version.

www.deepdiscountcd.com and www.absound.ca are selling the SACD versions cheap.

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
Ah - no they're not then. The jewel case versions sold here in Australia are just CDs (despite the misleading 'DSD Remastered' stickers on the front), not SACDs. To get an SACD, you need to get a digipak version.
God dammit!

How dare they say 'DSD Remastered' on the front but not be SACD's.

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator
Return it. If the store refuses to refund or exchange, let Universal (who I think distribute Stones stuff in Oz) and, failing that, the ACCC know.

While the releases are technically DSD remastered (ie the remastering took place using DSD), they created in you (and me until I researched the issue after I bought my DV-655A) a belief that the product being supplied was an SACD. It's worth a shot...

The other advice to reiterate - import; do not buy locally. DDCD and ABSound sell the albums for about $A25 each shipped, compared to up to $40 in some stores here (cheapest I've seen them is JB at $A34 each).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks