Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is My Stones CD a Hybrid ???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Derek Baker

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 03:29 AM

Just got the Abkco remastered 'Hot Rocks' CD but i'm having trouble playing the SACD layer on my Pioneer 45a (655A in Australia) player.

It only says 'CD' when inserted and even setting the player to play 2 ch SACD layer it still won't register as a SACD.

Are all the Abkco remastered Stones titles from 2002 hybrids? Or am i doing something wrong?

#2 of 7 Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,757 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted June 22 2003 - 05:20 AM

In the US they were issued in digipaks with a note on the inside about DSD/SACD. Also, the Pioneers generally require you to go on to the on-screen (audio) menu to select which area of the hybrid SACD you want to access (e.g. stereo CD layer, stereo SACD layer, multi-channel SACD layer) by default.

#3 of 7 charles white

charles white

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 05:52 AM

I just bought that today and I have a DV45A. No problems here. All the ABKCO CD's are hybrids. I suggest taking it back and trying another one. If that doesn't work, my guess is there's something wrong with the player.

#4 of 7 Derek Baker

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 12:34 PM

The discs i got came in a jewel case - not a digipak. It does have 'DSD Remastered' down the front spine and also refers to both DSD and SACD technology in the insert.

HMV also had digipak versions which were slightly more expensive but the only difference i could find was they included an 'authentication certificate'.

Maybe the SACD hybrids are the digipaks only...

Dammit...i've just ordered DSOTM and Norah Jones Hybrids from Amazon so i'll wait for those (which i know are hybrids) and see what happens.

#5 of 7 Sam Owens

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 01:14 PM

Ah - no they're not then. The jewel case versions sold here in Australia are just CDs (despite the misleading 'DSD Remastered' stickers on the front), not SACDs. To get an SACD, you need to get a digipak version.

www.deepdiscountcd.com and www.absound.ca are selling the SACD versions cheap.
30 AFI Top 100 films left to watch.

#6 of 7 Derek Baker

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 10:05 PM

Quote:
Ah - no they're not then. The jewel case versions sold here in Australia are just CDs (despite the misleading 'DSD Remastered' stickers on the front), not SACDs. To get an SACD, you need to get a digipak version.

God dammit!

How dare they say 'DSD Remastered' on the front but not be SACD's.

#7 of 7 Sam Owens

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted June 23 2003 - 01:02 AM

Return it. If the store refuses to refund or exchange, let Universal (who I think distribute Stones stuff in Oz) and, failing that, the ACCC know.

While the releases are technically DSD remastered (ie the remastering took place using DSD), they created in you (and me until I researched the issue after I bought my DV-655A) a belief that the product being supplied was an SACD. It's worth a shot...

The other advice to reiterate - import; do not buy locally. DDCD and ABSound sell the albums for about $A25 each shipped, compared to up to $40 in some stores here (cheapest I've seen them is JB at $A34 each).
30 AFI Top 100 films left to watch.