What's new

Removing RPTV screen protector better picture? (1 Viewer)

Mike Pottr

Auditioning
I know someone who has the same Rear Projection HD TV (Toshiba *H82 series) except for the size (42 for me 65 for him) he removed the screen protector on the front, and claims that its a better picture without it. I don't believe him, it seemed the same only the one without the protector was alot harder to see during the day since all the light made the picture fairly dim, where mine is in a darker enviroment, with only one window with a shade on it. Does the screen protector hinder the picture of the TV at all, or even if it does is the difficutly of viewing the TV in bright light worth it?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Rear projectors should always be viewed in a darkened environment when watching critically. The protective screens cut back on the set's light output while also introducing more room reflections. Almost always, a professional calibrationist will suggest that you remove the protective screen. If you don't have lifestyle issues that preclude your removing it (children, non-human companions who make mischief, etc.), it's best to take the screen off.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mike - I had the screen removed from my Hitachi when it was calibrated by Gregg Loewen and it made a huge difference. Colors looked better, I could see more detail, and the image looked much more filmlike than it did with the screen on. I would also recommend removing it or having it removed if your living situation and viewing room allows. Just remember that you'll have to redo focus and convergence on the set if you take it off.

Lando P

Agent
I have a 53" Hitachi and I've re-stacked it's screen (twice with its original protective screen and clear acrylic) and ultimately removed the protective screen off. But with the help of Velcro, I still have a removable acrylic sheet to protect the screen because I still have a kid who likes to play near the tv.

In both settings - with and without the protective screen - the tv should be viewed in a dark environment to fully appreciate the picture quality. Otherwise you deal with annoying reflections with the protective screen on and a washed out picture without it.

Sizing up your post, it seems that you prefer the glossy tv over the film-like picture. If that would be the case and you don't have to deal with unwanted light, then leaving the protective screen on would probably be a better option. But as Doug pointed out, if you want to experience optimal film-like images the way projection tv's are meant to be, and you don't have kids nor pets who like to play near the tv, then taking the protective screen off isn't a bad choice either.

Regards,

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Strangely enough, one of the other reasons for the introduction of the shield was to add a reflective glossy look to the image to make it more direct view tube like.

The protective screen also has a tendancy to hide defects in the lenticular screen ... so you ask yourself the question. If it hides defects in the screen, what else is it hiding in terms of the image that you actually see?

Regards

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Another vote for taking off the protective screen..You will be amazed how much better the picture is with out it..

Steve_AS

Second Unit
Can a handy-with-tools layman remove the protective screen, or is it something only a professional should attempt? I have a Mitsubishi 46" RPTV.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Steve,
The mits sets are one of the easiest to remove..You don't have to even touch the lenticular screen or put anything like velcro or molding to keep the lenticular screen from moving or warping..

Steve_AS

Second Unit
Steve,
The mits sets are one of the easiest to remove..You don't have to even touch the lenticular screen or put anything like velcro or molding to keep the lenticular screen from moving or warping..
OK, I'm game. How do I do it? I don't recall seeing any screws around the front.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
There a no screws..Use a small screw driver to start pulling out the strip of mold around the screen..one you pull the thin mold strip out the protective screen will come right off..Fit the mold strip back in and your done..Takes no more the five minutes..If you look carefully in one of the corners you will see where the break in the mold strip is..That is where you start it..
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks