-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Renee Zellweger to star as Janis Joplin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 04:53 AM

From Variety:

After years of film companies competing to get a Janis Joplin bio to the bigscreen, Paramount Pictures and Lakeshore are aiming an early 2004 start for "Piece of My Heart," with Renee Zellweger to star.
The actress will also produce the film with Lakeshore's Tom Rosenberg and Gary Lucchesi.

"Renee has been obsessed with Janis for years and is totally committed to this," said Rosenberg. "We are looking to quickly bring aboard a writer-director so that this can be the picture she makes after the sequel to 'Bridget Jones's Diary.' "

Lakeshore has been developing its project for seven years, flirting with Brittany Murphy and Melissa Etheridge to play Joplin, who died at the age of 27 in 1970. Numerous drafts have been written, but Rosenberg and Lucchesi indicated that getting Zellweger makes it a whole new ballgame and that the shooting script will be determined by the actress and the writer-director they hire.

Paramount Pictures chair Sherry Lansing was equally bullish: "Janis Joplin's life is a story that needs to be told, and there is no one better to portray her than Renee Zellweger."

Lucchesi said, "Aside from Renee's talent, it's a plus that she's from Texas like Janis was because she can appreciate the courage it took to leave there and go to San Francisco and make a career rather than stay behind and conform to the life her parents were hoping for."
--------------

What do you guys think? I'm not a big fan of Renee so I'm not terribly excited about this, but she does resemble Janis. I think that Val Kilmer should have a cameo as Jim Morrison. :wink:

#2 of 6 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,487 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 20 2003 - 05:19 AM

Ugh...that would be one horrible piece of casting.

Renee is a good actress, but she has limits, and she is just WAAAY too cutesy and too small to play Janis. Joplin is a force of nature. Renee is not.

I would love to see Kilmer do a cameo as Morrison!

#3 of 6 Kim D

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 05:54 AM

Quote:
I would love to see Kilmer do a cameo as Morrison!

I read your response quickly and thought you were suggesting that Kilmer play Janis. And I thought, not bad. Why not?

He's not cutesy or small and he can sing.

- kim

#4 of 6 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 06:00 AM

LOL sure why not! Kilmer can also play Jimi Hendrix in that much-delayed biopic. Posted Image

Edit: As a matter of fact, Kilmer should just put on a one man show about 60's rock stars in which he plays them all.

#5 of 6 Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 07:08 AM

Well, Renee as Joplin will be interesting to say the least.

Quote:
...it's a plus that she's from Texas like Janis was because she can appreciate the courage it took to leave there and go to San Francisco and make a career rather than stay behind and conform to the life her parents were hoping for.

Apparently it doesn't take courage to leave anywhere else but Texas?

#6 of 6 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 05:25 PM

I don't really see it either. Not physically right, or presence-wise right. Really, tho, I don't know who else could play her right now.

Course, we kinda got a "Janis" with "The Rose"...

Jason

Forum Nav Content I Follow