-

Photo
- - - - -

How should I do this DirecTV install?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Bruce Patterson

Bruce Patterson

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 02:21 AM

Hi,

I am in a new home, with no previous DirecTV dish installed. I have been getting flooded with offers from all of the dish installers in the area, claiming 2 room dish installations for free, etc.

What I want is this:

Bedroom and office - installed with standard receivers.
Media room - installed with HD tuner receiver (the Sony is it, I think).

Aside from the Sony, is this a standard request for installers? Any suggestions on how to structure it?

Finally, better to go through a local Circuit City, or the local dish guy?

Thanks!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Al Fischer

Al Fischer

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 02:35 AM

I would be inclined to say go to Circuit City to get the 2 room deal, you should get the equipment and set up for free. Plus they throw in a gift card, so you can grab a movie or something.
They will hire your "local dish guy" to do the install. Basically they pay him $199.00. You would have to pay him to cover the cost of installing the 3rd receiver. I think I paid around $50 to have him exchange a mutli switch and run 2 additional cables for my DirecTIVO.

Al

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   JamesHl

JamesHl

Supporting Actor

• 813 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 02:37 AM

If you think all you'll have is those three receivers, you could get one of those hd dishes with the built in 4 way splitter and drop all the wires from the dish to wherever.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,147 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted June 20 2003 - 02:48 AM

Try your local Blockbuster. When placing the order tell they you want the Para Tados programming package. This way you will get a free multi-sat dish that you can use with your HD receiver. When it comes time to order programming, you don't actually have to get the Spanish language programming.

Also, I would only get the the one room deal. After it is installed, I would order the DirecTivo from DirecTV using the "Friends and Family" code FFDVR. It's $159+$25shipping and it comes with free installation. Finally, is there any specific reason for the Sony HD receiver. The Zenith model is identical and goes for $100 less at most stores.

-Robert

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Bruce Patterson

Bruce Patterson

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 03:05 AM

No reason for the Sony - its the tuner that keeps showing up when I've looked for what I need. I didn't know about the Zenith.

Thanks for the ideas!