Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WTF? Three wires to the tweeter?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Tab Nichols

Tab Nichols

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 09:03 AM

So, I ordered some speakers from Part Express recently, as I am building a REALLY budget pair of speakers for my brother.

Anywho, I get the order, everything is fine until I looks at the back of one of the two tweeters. Three wires. One Red, one Black, and one Yellow.

Check it out here.

WTF?

How can I hook these up?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Tab Nichols

Tab Nichols

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 09:11 AM

Oh, I should mention that I DO know that these are for automotive audio applications, but it will do fine for what he wants it for....

Is the third wire like a common or something?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 12:28 PM

That picture doesnt show any wires but I did notice that it only handles 15/30 watts of power. That gonna be enough?

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,548 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted June 19 2003 - 01:32 PM

Based on that info, I would say that wire is for the "built in phase shield". Not exactly sure what that does, but since it gives response data for with and without it, I would expect you can leave that wire disconnected. Was there no wiring diagram with the tweeter?
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Tab Nichols

Tab Nichols

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 07:15 AM

Yeah, 15-30 watts should be good for what hes using it for... replacement speakers for a bookshelf stereo.

The one thing that dissappointed me about about Parts Express, is none of the stuff I ordered came with any specs, diagrams, even individual boxes.

Maybe I'll take pic with my digital camera later so I can show you exactly what it looks like....