Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Which DVD (IYHO)has the best picture/DTS/Dolby 5.1 mix? ie, to show off your rig :)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Josh Q S

Josh Q S

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 05:47 AM

Of the DVDs I've experienced on my setup, it seems Star Wars: Episode II has the best picture and sound by quite a large margin. I heard Oceans Eleven was shot completely digitally too, and I've heard great things about the picture quality. Can anyone recommend some DVDs that are of exceptional quality in picture, and/or sound? Thanks for any contributions!
-Josh Q S

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   David_N

David_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 06:26 AM

Any of them in this thread.

#3 of 6 ONLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Producer

• 3,281 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 07:53 AM

"Ocean's Eleven" was shot on film using the Super 35 process. (It was Steven Soderbergh's first 'scope' production. I believe, though I'm not positive, that "Solaris" was shot in anamorphic widescreen rather than Super 35, but I know for sure that O11 is Super 35.)

However, "Ocean's Eleven" was projected digitally in some theaters, which perhaps is the cause of the confusion over whether it was film or video. (I personally love how the film looks; more information can be found in the American Cinematographer January '02 article, avaliable online at http://www.soderberg....atographer.htm)

Hope this helps.

Josh

P.S. - I'm sure everyone has their own favorite home theater demo, and since I probably have the least impressive setup of anyone here I'm in no position to make definitive demonstrations. That said, when I do demos, I like to use the extended version of Fellowship Of The Ring, or any segment from Fantasia 2000. For showing off music videos, you can't go wrong with Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band: Live In New York City (that I was at that show doesn't hurt either ).

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,241 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 08:17 AM

Star Wars Episode 2 Superman

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   BrentJ

BrentJ

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 12:25 PM

Daredevil

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Shane_M

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 232 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 02:49 PM

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship... IMHO is the best for audio. The DDS EX 5.1 track is mint. For video... I'd have to go with Star Wars Ep. II, although there is some edge enhancement.
Shane
EyeCraveDVD.com (Owner | Editor-In-Chief)
My Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users