What's new

Akai CFT3090 30" WS TV - Service Mode and other stuff (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The service mode trick (power off, mute-1-8-2-power) for the 27" Akai doesnt work on this model.

The wide mode has pretty severe overscan, and there doesn't seem to be a way to do a "zoom" mode for non anamorphic widescreen sources.

The panorama mode simply stretches out the sides and is totally useless. maybe this mode could be altered into a makeshift zoom mode in the SM?

Got this for $399 at Sams and am very satisfied even with what I was able to manage with composite input and user menu tweaking. Think this set will look very nice if I can mess with it a bit more!

Any help or other stories would be appreciated, perhaps we can merge all the talk abou this model here?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I did read on some message board somewhere? that this AKAI model is not made by Samsung. It's made by some Korean company called Hungwoo, or something like that, that's why the Samsung codes you are using to get into the SM won't work & from what I remember nobody has yet figured out how to get into the SM on the 30" Akai. I wish I could remember the website that I found the info on because I was then able to go to Hungwoo's website. It was something like Hungwoo McPlus LTD & they had a lot of interesting models.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
The name of the company is Hyunwoo Industries. For picture & models of their products go to.

www.mcplus.co.kr

Korean Text Display Support wiil come up press "CANCEL"

Hyunwoo Mcplus site will come up

Press "ENGLISH"

Next Screen Press "SITEMAP" (Top Right)

You will then get a listing of their products "Analog" Flat" "Digital" & etc.

They do have some interesting products like 720P Tv's :D

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Closer now... all we need is a professional that would be willing to make the call...

>>Sorry man, no dice. I can tell you who has it. 1.888.697.2247 is the number, but I can't get it out of them. They won't reveal it to an end user, only a repair guy. If you know any television repair guys, maybe they could call in for you.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
You might try calling that number & telling them you are a repair shop & see if they will give it to you or probably the best way to get it is to tell them your a repair shop & you want to buy the Service Manual from them, but sometimes they will only sell them to their authorized repair shops. I known about 10 years back I was after some info on a set & I found out who was an authorized repair shop & I went & saw them & told them my problem & asked if they would get a SM for me & I would buy it from them & give them some money for doing it & they got me the SM. Seeing the set is new why don't you just call for service on the set under the warranty and see how they get into the service menu plus the repair guy might be able to tell you what a lot of things are in the SM.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Well I hear that Sam's warranty means they come take the set for a while, nothing in home.

When I have some funds (more interested in getting my TiVo first lol) I might call for a calibration, maybe I'll be lucky and Greg L will be in town!

Arlan S

Auditioning
I just purchased the Akai CFT3090 last week and am quite pleased with it, especially compared to the Samsung 3071 which I am also auditioning. The Akai doesn't exhibit the "digital veil" phenomenon and motion artifacts that many of the digital sets do ("HD...it'll never be worse or more expensive than now").

The only thing that I really don't care for is the effect of the Panorama setting where the sides really are quite distorted, very obvious and disconcerting compared to the Samsung panorama setting. Perhaps this can be adjusted?

I found from Akai tech support that the set is actually made by Daewoo International and is supported by Daewoo Intl. in the US. They also said that there is no "service menu" per se, but are sending me a service manual to perform advanced tweaks. When I receive it I will advise on as many details as possible.

It's a keeper for $396!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
yeah, my biggest thing is going to be to try to tweak that panorama mode into a non-anamorphic dvd zoom mode! i dont know how they could make a WS set without being able to zoom in past the bars so you dont have them on all four sides in non-anamorphic

but yeah hell of a set for $400 =)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
That's good to know that it's made by Daewoo. One of my neighbors bought a really cheap Daewoo 25" set for his daughter when she was around 12-years-old hoping it would last a few years & now she's using it in her college dormroom ;)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If the set is made by Daewoo try contacting an authorized Daewoo repair shop in your area & see if they can get the Service Manual. On Daewoo's website all an authorized shop has to do is enter their "Password"/"PIN-Number" to get Service Manuals. You can find out if their is a repair shop in your area by going to www.e-daewoo.com When I was on the site I din't see any 30" Analog sets though but they did have one 30" HDTV set. Now would'nt it be great to find out that once your in the Service Menu that you can turn on the HDTV Circuits :D Maybe that's why they don't want you in the Service Menu :D

david*mt

Second Unit
Does anyone know if Samsclub is going to be carrying the 30'' HDTV Akai anytime soon? It is listed on Akai's website. I have also noticed that Sams has very few TVs listed on their site now which makes me think they will be getting in newer models soon.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Can someone who owns this set post the base dimensions for me? (depth, width).

My friend wants to pick one up, but needs to make sure it will fit on his current TV stand.

Thanks!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Sam's is getting rid of what they have left, which is why they knocked $100 off the price.

I was told their customers want name brands, so thats why the Akai is being sold off, my advice is to just call every sams club in every sort of driving distance and see which has one. There are three left at the Crystal Lake IL Sams club if that helps anyone. I know that in February, the Rockford IL location had 5....

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Alf S, This was posted on another website so I don't know if they are exactly correct but they sound pretty much in the ballpark.

AKAI 30 INCH WIDESCREEN
WIDTH: 34 Inches
HEIGHT: 22.5 Inches
DEPTH: 21 Inches

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Yep, just measured it. Those dimensions are correct.

Hey Arlan S any word on the service manual yet? Or codes to get inot the service menu?

I'll start making some calls tomorrow to see if I can scam/buy/procure one from the local TV repair guy. I have noticed 2 things:

1. I have a banding effect when there are solid colors such as blue or red. The banding is vertical straight bands that cover the entire screen. They are present only on the s-vhs input. This is not overly distracting by any means but definately noticable. Any others see this on their sets?

2. Their is a definate pincusion effect when in normal mode or 4X3 mode. Any other notice this?

I'm sure the 2nd issue could be resolved from the service menu.

How can you check for overscan? The 16:9 viewing appears to be correct on my set.

What will component with progressive scan do for increasing resolution from my current configuration?

Any info would be appreciated. This is definatley a steel for $398. The Maple Grove, MN store has 4 remaining plus the display if anyone is interested and lives in the area.

Chet

Bill Will

Screenwriter
On ecostics BB someone posted that Sam's in a MD store had reduced the 27" Akai that was posted on Sam's website at $297.16 was now reduced to $216.00 I wonder if the 30" is being reduce in any of Sam's stores & it may pay to fight with them & see what happens ;) I also understand that Vann's once had them on sale for $349.99

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Bill Will:
"I wonder if the 30" is being reduce in any of Sam's stores & it may pay to fight with them & see what happens"

From Moe:
"Sam's is getting rid of what they have left, which is why they knocked $100 off the price."

Plus I checked their stock at my local store and within a week they had sold 3 of their 8 they had left. I asked the same questions you did with no luck. In fact the rep looked up the cost of it to see if I could grab their display for cheaper. His reply "Oh wow were already selling these at a loss. The manager probably won't take that much more off the price." I'd grab one now before they are all gone.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
They also droped the price of the 27" from $318 to $297 on the website the same time that they droped the 30" $100 & if it's true that a Sam's in MD was cleaning them out for $216.11 which sounds below cost & if Van's could sell the 30" for $349.99 which does not have anywhere's near the buying power of a Sam's Club I'll bet some of the Sam's stores are selling them cheaper or will be in the next few weeks if they have any left. As for anyone working at store level & looking up "cost" prices it really can't be done unless Sam's is the exception. I worked in retail for years & just because they list the cost price of a product it doesn't mean that's what they paid for it. The cost prices are usually what the manufacture has set on them & the reason companies do this is they don't want to let other companies know what they are paying for things & neither does the manufacture if they gave one company a deal & not another which happens all the time plus someone at store level could give out or even worse sell the "cost price" information if it was a "true cost" price. Also with Akai or another brand you don't known if Sam's made them pay just to get into their stores & this can be paying for shelf space, displays, quaterly rebates & on & on the retail business is a true whore's business & it gets even worse with the supermarkets. Don't get me wrong but under $400 I think the set is a good deal & I thought with my post it might help some other HTF's out if they pushed Sam's on the price just to see what would happen. ;)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Any word?? I'm really starting to worry about my set. Some serious geomtry issues. Called AKAI but they will not give up their service menu codes!!! What BS!!

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
The saga continues......

THERE IS NO SERVICE CODE!!!
Straight from the horses mouth. Received a call from www.waca.com
They do the service work for AKAI in the states. They were very polite and actually sent me the service manual. Guess what....you need a service remote in order to get into the service menu. There is no service code...there never was. So I called the main AKAI service menu and asked them if I could buy a service remote. Answer "NO". Can I rent a service remote. Answer "NO". Service from AKAI themselves is atrocious(sp?), The ONLY reason I have gotten this far is due to the people from WACA. In fact the Head Manager for AKAI's customer service, Robert Rodriguez, told me to just return the TV and get another one. OK...great idea except for one thing. What happens when you have the TV for 60 days and something happens? You will not be able to return it to the place of purchase but rather you will need to get it serviced from the manufacturer! In fact I asked Mr. Rodriguez "You would rather have me carry this 275 pound TV back to Sam's and get another one than actually help me and service it?" The answer "Yes". I do not know of ANY company that will not service their own defective product. Especially a 275 pound TV. Service DOES NOT EXIST from this company. In fact they may as well call it CUSTOMER F U. There is NO Service. The only saving grace to this company is WACA. At least they are willing to help me. I have never been so enraged by a service rep in my entire life. Well I am sort of glad that something happened now rather than later so I could really experience their service. Now I KNOW. So if anyone would like the service manual I would be more than willing to email it to you. I'll set up a temporary email account at work. Just email me at [email protected]
It may take awhile for me to send it to you depending on the amount of requests. I'll only keep that account open for 2 weeks.
I'll have that account active by 10:00AM cst so do not email until after that time as you will receive an error.

I am about fed up with AKAI and about to shove this TV back in the box and ship it back to the store.

Chet_F

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks