-

Photo
- - - - -

Sony 755 SACD hook up

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 11:07 AM

My friend just picked up the Sony DVP-NS755V SACD/DVD player. The guy at Best Buy told him he needed the 5.1 cable to listen to SACD's. My friend already has a coax cable, but the Best Buy guy said it wouldn't work for SACDs.

Is this true (that he needs the 5.1 cable rather than the coax) to play SACDs? It sounds to me like the guy was just pushing a cable that my friend didn't need.

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   MichaelTa

MichaelTa

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 01:24 PM

What are needed are 6 analog cables with RCA connectors on the ends. One cable for each of the 5 and .1 channels coming out of the SACD player. These go into the 5.1 inputs on the back of the receiver. There are many different brands for the interconnects and its usually a personal preference. If you only want to watch dvd's then all that is needed is a digital out either coax or optical for the sound and a video or svhs for the video. SACD will not output digital on that SACD player only analog.
Such a long long time to be gone, such a short time to be there.

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Leo

Leo

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 01:30 PM

And if you just want to listen to it in 2 Channel, then if there are a pair of analog out (L/R) next to the 5.1 analog out, you can use them.

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 01:49 PM

He definatly wants to hear SACD. Is this true for all SACD players or just this model? Is it true for DVD-Audio too? I am considering the Denon 2900 myself.

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Leo

Leo

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 03:06 PM

True as in you can only hear SACD via the analog out channels? Well I know the current players are all that way with the exception of the Pioneer DV-47ai which has a firewire out port that connects to the Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi and does out the SACD signal in the digital realm. I'm sure others can chime in on other players (upcoming or current) that output via the digital connection.

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 04:57 AM

I have a Sony 755 dvd/sacd player. Its a great piece of equipment.

Yes you need 6 additional cables or interconnects to play SACD's $$$$$$ (smile)

Sacds come in several flavors...some have a 2 ch stereo tracks build in and can be played on normal 2 ch cd players. Check before you buy if this is a concern.

Sacd with 2 ch built in can be played with two cable analog or the coax or optical cables if you like.

NO DSP stuff works with SACD, normally, but the 2 ch can be played with in DSP modes.

A comment on SACD quality....I have Norah Jones 2 ch cd and the new sacd.....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I just attended a Norah Jones concert and was very unhappy with the sound quality at this concert....very boomy and Norah's voice was lost in the kick drum bass.....sad.

Listening to the SACD on my 6.1 system was better than being at the concert acoustically!! THe SACD made he difference!!

Alex

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,449 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 05:09 AM

Quote:
Yes you need 6 additional cables or interconnects to play SACD's $$$$$$ (smile)
I have that player and I use 2 Radio shack gold 3 way (a/v) cables for the SACD analog connections. It wasn't that expensive.

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 04:05 PM

Larry: Except for that Pioneer "i" series combination, ALL sacd & dvd-audio players output their signals--multichannel & stereo--through their analog outputs.

This is a (dumb!) copy protection feature.

LJ

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Dan M~

Dan M~

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 12:13 PM

Reviving an old thread...

Just getting around to connecting my DVP-NS755V for SACD. I've been using only the coax digital connection for DVD audio. When connecting the 5.1 analogs for SACD can I keep the coax connected? What setup changes do I need to make to the player? I'd like to keep the DVD playing through coax and use the receivers decoder. My receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5150.

Thanks ahead of time...

Dan M.
-Dan M~

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 12:20 PM

Quote:
When connecting the 5.1 analogs for SACD can I keep the coax connected? What setup changes do I need to make to the player?
yes, you can keep and use both connections.

most likely your pre/pro/receiver is like most and no bass nor time management is applied to it's analog external inputs. so any and all bass and/or time management that you want to apply to the player's ANALOG output must be made in your player.

likewise, the player's bass and time management settings are NOT applied to the digital output; only the pre/pro/receiver's settings.
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,540 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 03 2005 - 01:15 PM

Quote:
ALL sacd & dvd-audio players output their signals--multichannel & stereo--through their analog outputs.

Not true, there are Denon models that have a proprietary digital connection, and the 5900 also has firewire AFAIK.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 04:39 PM

Quote:
Not true, there are Denon models that have a proprietary digital connection, and the 5900 also has firewire AFAIK.

that post is over 18 months old, so.................
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Dan M~

Dan M~

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 11:01 PM

ScottCHI, thanks for responding.

New question, since SACD can be either 5.1 and/or 2 channel, will I need to connect the stereo outputs to the receiver as well as the 5.1? Thats nine cables running from the DVD to Receiver!

Thanks again for the help,

Dan M
-Dan M~

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 02:13 AM

You should be able to use the same L/R outputs for your main speakers, regardless of whether you're listening to 5.1 or 2.0.

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 04:10 AM

what nathan said

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,540 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 04 2005 - 07:10 AM

Why do they have a separate stereo connection AND the m/c outs on these players? On my universal and SACD players, I tried both the stereo and L/R from the M/C outs and got essentially the same stereo sound from each, so why not just eliminate the stereo output and have one use the m/c L/R? Are there differences in how those outputs are handled internally in the player?
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 12:35 PM

Quote:
Why do they have a separate stereo connection AND the m/c outs on these players? On my universal and SACD players, I tried both the stereo and L/R from the M/C outs and got essentially the same stereo sound from each, so why not just eliminate the stereo output and have one use the m/c L/R? Are there differences in how those outputs are handled internally in the player?
good question. i've wondered the same.

my denon manual actually says to use one set for a 2-channel system and the other with a mutichannel system. but i've checked and there's no difference in how those outputs were handled in the player; bass and time management was identical for both sets.

i think i decided it was to help avoid consumer confusion.

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 03:10 PM

Quote:
my denon manual actually says to use one set for a 2-channel system and the other with a mutichannel system. but i've checked and there's no difference in how those outputs were handled in the player; bass and time management was identical for both sets.

Hey Scott....remember debating this a while back? A bit of a surprise (well, for me, anyway) that the L/R pair were just copies of the L/R set in the 5.1 outs, BM and all.

Which really blows!

Say you had a 2CH recording, and wanted to have an unmolested (ie. Not Bass Managed) pair of outputs? Maybe you wanted to route that to your pre/pro or AVR so you could use PL II, DTS, or whatever? Or maybe you just wanted to play a 2CH disc over a pair of full range mains?

No dice, because you would likely be using BM in the player for MC sources, and there you have it. A L/R pair devoid of low bass.

Now, in my case, I CAN do that w/o loss of bass because I run my player all large + sub, and use a ICBM for BM. As such, I do have both a 5.1 and stereo pair connected for the reasons sited above.

But for those that use BM in the player, you don't have the luxury, nor can you typically do any processing of the 5.1 inputs.

A shame really, as an un-altered L/R pair would be very, very useful.

BGL

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 04:53 PM

i agree, bgl, i'd love to be able to run un-managed stuff to my zone2.

people with non-hirez players that are digitally connected don't really have this problem; they can simultaneously feed an unmolested analog signal to zone2.

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Dan M~

Dan M~

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 11:03 PM

OK, now I'm confused...

I hooked up the 5.1 connections and no sound. Since I had an extra set of connectors I connected the 2 channel out puts to the receiver and "Music"!!!

The only SACD disk I have is "Boston", and it appears to be only 2 channel SACD. The 755 indicates its playing SACD.

I have not had time to sit down and go through the 755's setup menus to see what configurations are available that way. If anyone is familiar with the DVP-NS755V setup menus, I would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks again for all the help,

Dan M~
-Dan M~

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow