What's new

The 'burbs Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't want to hijack the Last Action Hero thread, but it might be fun to see how many people like The 'burbs. I remember how hated it was at the time of its release, but I loved it the first time I saw it. It's one of those movies that has provided quotes I still use to this day (sadly, Beavis and Butt-Head and the Stoned Age also changed my vocabulary :b ).

Fun scenes:

"You might have fooled the others, but you don't fool me!"

"Have I . . . fooled the others?"

"But you DON'T! FOOL! Me!"

. . .

"Ricky, tell those lame-os to get off my lawn!"

"Hey, lame-os! Get off his lawn!"

. . .

"I don't remember seeing a moving van."

"That's funny, because it was parked outside all . . . DAY!"

. . .

"Okay, hep cats! Get off my car!"

:laugh:

Good stuff. There have to be fans here. Show your support. Also, how's the DVD?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I definitely love this film. I was pretty young when it first came out, and I remember seeing it, but don't remember liking or disliking it. A few years back they started playing it on TBS/TNT all the time and I really started to like it. They show it on TV enough, that I've been too lazy to buy it, but I may have to pick it up one of these days.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as a fan. I love this movie from start to finish. Hanks' exit from the destroyed house and they way he slides down the steps just amazes me.

"He isn't coming out of the house until he resembles the man I married."
"We don't have that kind of time, Carol."

:laugh:

Oh, the DVD is pretty presentable and has the trailer on it. Nothing spectacular, but better than I had feared.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
LOL I love this movie, but rarely get to see it.

Alex, anytime someone mentions "The Burbs" that sliding down the steps scene is the first that comes to my mind. Absolutely brilliant. :D

"I spent 9 months in the bush and I can snap your neck in a heartbeat."

"No, I've never seen that, I've never seen anyone drive thier garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick. "

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Great thread, great film!:) :emoji_thumbsup:
One of my all-time favorite comedies, and one of my most watched films, I love the characters and the dialogue!:D

Rumsfield: 'Klopek', is that Slavic?

Reuben: NO!!

Rumsfield: That's about a nine on the tension scale there, Reub.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
"There go the goddamn brownies!"

"This is why I hate cul-de-sacs, anyone can get in but no one can get out!"

Great flick! :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

John Doran

Screenwriter
when anyone asks me about good comedies, the only movies that ever immediately come to mind are the burbs and monty python and the holy grail. these movies make me laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh...

Rumsfield: 'Klopek', is that Slavic?

Reuben: NO!!

Rumsfield: That's about a nine on the tension scale there, Reub.
it really warms my heart to see this quoted; i'm pretty sure i laughed so hard i passed out when i saw this scene.

as well as moments before when bruce dern is picking at the wallpaper and ends up pulling a huge strip of it off the wall.

man. one of the best.

- jd

JoeMKal

Stunt Coordinator
just bought the DVD a couple weeks ago, can't stop watching it, I think it's a shame that Hanks is so good at being dramatic, I would love to see him do more turner and hooch, dragnet, bachelor party type movies, I hope lady killers is good

have any of you guys see the alternate ending?
personally I am glad it was cut, it just seemed to drag on and have a style of comedy that would not have meshed with the rest of the movie, the theatrical ending is way better, but its cool to have on DVD

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Red Rover, Red Rover, let Ray come on over!

:)

Although Jason stole my first choice "stick" quote. :angry: :)

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Count me in as another who grew to like it more with multiple viewings. It's not the greatest film, but compared to most of the comedies we get these days it's a frickin' masterpiece... :D

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
All this talk makes me want to pick this up, instead of depending on cable TV. What's the DVD running nowadays? Defintely one of the most underrated comedies ever.

AJG

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Absolutely! :emoji_thumbsup:

I loved this movie since the first time I saw it back when we rented the video back in 89.

I love the opening shot of the Universal Studios logo when the camera zooms in closer and closer to Hank's neighborhood, all along accompanied by Jerry Goldsmith's wierdo music.

The movie has always been about the bored, suspicious nature of some suburbanites taken to the most extreme degree. A film about a trio of men who are so incredibly bored stiff that they almost desire an adventure of any sort...and get it in the form of a bizzarre family who moves in next door. Can't say I blame them in their paranoia, if I heard strange, loud noises coming from that house, i'd wonder what the hell was up too.

It's always nice to return to a Tom Hanks film like this, before he did Saving Private Ryan, Philidelphia and Forrest Gump when he wasn't afraid to just be goofy. IMO, this and The Money Pit are two of Hanks' funniest underrated movies.

The obligatory favorite lines list for me :)...

Art...
"Hey Ray, the thermostat on a home furnace, is it supposed to go to 5000 degrees do ya think?"

Ray...
"Do you wanna take that out of your pocket? You wanna NOT steal that from Walter's house, please."

Art...
"Hey what's the difference, all this old junks just gonna end up in some flea market eventually anyway."

Rumsfield...
"I know your in their old man! That piece of scum-barking-rat of yours has just taken his last dump on my lawn! I find one more, just one, i'm gonna catch him and staple his ass shut!"

Rumsfield...
"Well, were not all here. Walter, the old man next door, we don't know where the hell he is."

Ray...
"I'm only tryin to take a nap. I'm only layin here, with my eye's closed tryin to get some God dammed sleep!"

Favorite Moments...

The look on Ray's face when he's stumbling like a zombie out of the ruins of the Klopeck house. With his hair still smoldering, right eye swelled shut and his eyebrow and also part of his hair burnt off, this is the look of a man who has just had enough. :laugh:

Rumsfield, all decked out in bad assed military fatigues sitting on his roof...eating animal crackers! :laugh:

The famous "Ray, this is Walter!" rapid camera zoom in and out while screaming shot.

The rapid eye movement from Ray when he first meet's Rube Klopeck..."YOU are the one who lives next door!?"

Again, Ray's face when he's trying his damndest not to blow chunks while eating the sardiens and pretzel. :laugh:

Just a great all around comedy that only get's better with age IMO. :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, since I was owning up to Oscar (which I still don't regret) I guess I can speak out on liking burbs too. It feels a bit more like a guilty pleasure to me than Oscar, but I still laugh a lot. I've always thought Rick Ducommun was funny with anything he did, which is a big reason I love burbs. And of course Hanks, Dern, and Fisher help (I wish Fisher had done more work in films like this and Harry Met Sally) quite a bit too.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Art: I'm tellin' ya, officer, there's a body buried in that house.
Detective: The old guy, Mr.Seznick right?
Art: Yeah the old guy who's sitting here is buried in that house.
---------------------------------------
Art: Garbies! Wait! What are you doing?
Garbageman: Emptying garbage.
Art: Into the garbage truck? Are you out of your mind?!

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Bruce Dern looking at the photo in the Klopek's:

"Is that your family?"

"Came with the frame."

I think my favorite bit though is when the camera zooms in on each character's eyes and finally ends zooming in on the dog's eyes.

"Run to the water, boys!"

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
My brothers and I still will throw in 'Burbs lines into conversation!

This film was one of my first DVD purchases.

"About a nine on the tension scale there, Rube"

"Came with the frame"

Absolute comedic genius. I don't think there has been a more quotable movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks