-

Photo
- - - - -

Here is a DVD player that will Upscale through Component!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Micheal

Micheal

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 05:03 AM

Momitsu

Someone I know just got one. I'll be going over to his house in a couple of days to do a shootout in comparison with his HTPC. And yes, it upscales through the Component output & the DVI output.
BLAM!
Good... bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Andrew Hoogs

Andrew Hoogs

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 08:00 AM

Wow that looks great! And only $230??

Anyway I looked on google and didnt see any American stores, do you know where your friend bought it? Im very interested in getting one. Thanks!

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 08:49 AM

Look at avsforum's 'DVD Hardware' section. Picture quality is apparently "soft" via component, but quite good via DVI.
Home Theater Addict

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 11:06 AM

The Bravo D1 does the samething. The results after testing suggest it's not worth it and DVI is the only way to go.
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Micheal

Micheal

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 02:50 PM

The Bravo D1 does not upscale through component (last I read), and for some people component is the ONLY option. To have the option to upscale through component and end up with a better image than 480P, most will take that option.

Edit: Here is a comment posted on another forum. (Hope that's okay) The comment was made by an advanced member in response to a negative comment on upscaling through component.
Quote:
IMO, all of the fine detail is there on the Momitsu's analog RGB output, even though the Momitsu does not apply edge-enhancement. It is important to note that the RP91's edge-enhancement does not create additional fine detail, but rather exaggerates the fine detail.

The Momitsu's analog RGB output contains the same amount of fine detail as its digital DVI output, so I am not sure how you arrived at that conclusion.

My point is this, see it for yourself before you make biased claims. I plan on checking it out later this week for myself.
BLAM!

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Micheal

Micheal

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 12:03 AM

Has anyone here used the BravoD1 or Samsung HD 931 that upscales through DVI? If so what display did you hook it up to and how well did it work?
BLAM!

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Andrew Hoogs

Andrew Hoogs

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 20 2003 - 06:51 AM

What do you guys think about buying a Bravo and using a DVI to component adapter? Would that work? ATI sells that adapter. The reason I ask is the Bravo is $100 cheaper than the Momitsu.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Miles

Miles

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted June 21 2003 - 01:22 AM

Yes... I'm curious about the adapter too... I'm using the DVI to VGA adapter to send to signal to my 17" monitor now... but would the adapter pass 1080i... or 1024p from the player to my projector?

Thanks for any help,

Miles

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted June 21 2003 - 10:48 AM

ATI's component video adapter will not work for anything other than using it with a DVI connection on a compatible ATI graphics card. It is controlled by ATI’s Catalyst software drivers that also control the graphics card. It has no internal firmware to control the conversions. I think they did it this way so that you wouldn't be able to use it with NVIDIA's graphics cards.

BTW, I have one.
My Home Theater
My DVD Collection

“JBL S-Series + SVS = ” - Phil Iturralde
----------------------------------------------------
The Portland, OR & Vancouver, WA HT Meet Thread

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted June 21 2003 - 11:00 AM

Quote:
I'm using the DVI to VGA adapter to send to signal to my 17" monitor now... but would the adapter pass 1080i... or 1024p from the player to my projector?
Your projector only accepts VGA and not DVI? Yes, THAT ADAPTER should work in your situation. You'll have to use a program like PowerStrip to get those custom resolutions on your PC. Or are you talking about using it on a set-top DVD up-scaler? I'm not 100% positive that it would work for that, but I think it might.
My Home Theater
My DVD Collection

“JBL S-Series + SVS = ” - Phil Iturralde
----------------------------------------------------
The Portland, OR & Vancouver, WA HT Meet Thread

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Miles

Miles

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 02:12 AM

Hey Derek,

I was asking if I can use the adapter on the back of the STB DVD-player (Bravo or Momitsu) and pass 1080i/720pto my NEC LT-150 projector. Many reviews had mentioned the component outputs on these players passed a soft-looking 1080i/720p. Since DVI seems to be the way to go with these players, I thought the adapter may bypass the issue.

Thanks,

Miles

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   MikeSRC

MikeSRC

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted June 22 2003 - 11:06 AM

Quote:
Has anyone here used the BravoD1 or Samsung HD 931 that upscales through DVI? If so what display did you hook it up to and how well did it work?

I've seen the HD931 hooked up to a Fujitsu 50" plasma and an NEC HT1000 DLP projector. The upconverted picture is excellent in most cases, with what I consider minor edge enhancement noticeable on certain DVDs. Since the HD931 does not use its Faroudja chip for its component outputs, its performance is the same as cheaper Samsung models.

If you're looking at the Momitsu (or Bravo, both use the same Sigma Designs chip for deinterlacing and scaling) for scaling through the component outputs, you have a trade-off between the upscaling and the rather basic flag-reading deinterlacing of the Sigma chip. There may be some noticeable improvement with well-flagged DVDs, but others would probably look better on a progressive scan player with better deinterlacing.
Enjoy!

Mike
SurfRemoteControl.com
SurfAudioVideo.com

Forum Nav Content I Follow