What's new

Hildi Santo-Tomas still must be stopped!!! (2 Viewers)

Lee L

Supporting Actor
No forum breakdown gets her a reprieve from me.

Hildi Santo Tomas on Trading spaces has got to be the worst interior designer ever.

Lets go over the evidence against her:

This past weekend, she did a dining room in all black, inlcuding the ceiling, made some crappy light fixture out of 55 light sockets with vanity bulbs, (BTW, she is overloading the circuit but I digress) and painted the table and chairs traffic line yellow. She even covered up the bay window of the room so that it was comletely invisible.

A few weeks ago, she took what was a nice sized bathroom and attached fake flower blooms all over the walls. It took about 5000 blossoms, each of which had at least 2 staples in them. The flowers will collect dust and moisture, making them impossible to clean and prone to causing allergy problems. The end result made the bathroom look half the size and cramped. No one would be able to sell the house like that and there are now 20,000+ little holes in the wall to try to patch.

A year or 2 ago, she re-did a living room that functiuoned as a playroom for 2 young children. She covered the walls with straw like you would use on your yard when you plant grass. This of course smelled and would be a nightmare with a 2 year old. The neighbor working on the room questioned her about this and her response was "just tell the 2 year old not to touch it." :D

I think she often thinks up outlandish crap and does it just because she can. At least Doug has a design vision in mind that some people might like and does wacky stuff to support that. I can see people paying Doug to do that stuff but IMHO, you would have to be on LSD to pay Hildi to do some of the things she has done.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I love the Hildi episodes because she is such a bitch with a "w". She never cares what the homeowners like or want.

I loved this one episode where she wallpapered a kitchen with thousands of wine labels. The neighbors told her that the homeowners don't drink wine, in fact they might take offense to the alcoholic decor for religious reasons. But Hildi didn't give a rat's ass and told them to shut up and keep working. (or something like that) :D

The Hildi episodes are always good to see because of the high cry-factor during the final revealing. Call me a sadistic bastard but I love it when the people hate the room.:b

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I shall reiterate my missing post... ;)

Hildi Santo Tomas on Trading spaces has got to be the worst interior designer ever.
Now now... that's rather harsh isn't it?

I mean, you should have more respect for a woman who is OBVIOUSLY HOOKED ON CRACK!

:D

Hay walls? Silken-flower-hell bathroom? And now this bumble-bee-colored room? Whatever she's smoking, it must be good stuff...

Hildi, there is a reason your designs are so original. Because NO ONE ELSE is STONED enough to try crap like that...

...and to think she actually calls herself a designer... I can't see this helping her career much... but stranger things have happened... :)

Personally, I like most of Vern's stuff... :)

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
Hildi does make good TV, but it has to be your worst fear realized if you get stuck with her when you sign up for the show, because you know she just wants to go for shock value.

I originally thought that about Doug as well, but over the years I think the guy has learned from some of his past mistakes (ie, "crying fireplace" ep) and actually yields a bit to the homeowners and also tries to give them more of what they want than the Hildi ever would. She is a nightmare. I was happy to hear the homeowners reacting to her though, finally some straight answers to this room, "we're calling the painters on Monday".. thats seems like a big difference between "Changing Rooms", the bbc sister show and Trading Spaces, the homeowners are a lot more blunt and honest over there, on Trading Spaces they grin and bear a positive response for the most part.

I'll take Vern any day of the week, he will bust his hump for you and there's a good chance you're gonna get a nice floor redone, the guy is amazing in what he tries to accomplish in 48 hours.

These are my top picks:
Vern
Genevieve
Laurie
Doug

Hildi was showing some nice cleavage on the last ep though
;)

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
A few weeks ago, she took what was a nice sized bathroom and attached fake flower blooms all over the walls.
My wife and I saw both of these episodes, and we agree that she must be stopped. They look MUCH worse than you described them and are completely impractical (try dusting those 5000 plastic flowers). After reeling from black dinning room, the homeowner summed it up best: "It looks like a Hildi room".

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I'll let Hildi do whatever she wants as long as I get to do lots of woodworking with Amy Winn. ;)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Vern and Frank would be the only two that I'd let touch my house. I don't like Laurie simply because she insists on removing ceiling fans in every damn room. Doug is still a bully (Hey, isn't a designer supposed to work with you?) Don't really know much about the new designers that they have on now...

Jason

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
She's clearly out of her mind. Vern's rooms on the other hand, always look good.

How are the designers chosen from show to show, just randomly? That'd suck to get Hildi for your house.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Apparently, Doug is supposed to be a lot more conceding that what they show on TV. A lot of the dialog is also staged (watch the very bad acting). As for the "crying fireplace" episode, what Doug did for the fireplace looked about a 1000 times better than that horrendous brick.

How are the designers chosen from show to show, just randomly? That'd suck to get Hildi for your house.
The producers try to pick the designer you wouldn't. If you ask for Vern, you'll get someone other than him. Fact is, conflict makes for a good TV show. Look at the brew-haha from the episode with the super childish bitch that got the brown room.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
It seems that the designers you would most like to work with on your neighbors house would be:

1. Genevieve
2. Frank
3. Doug

...because they are generally fun people to work with.

The designers that you would most like to have working with your friends/neighbors on your house are:

1. Vern
2. Laurie
3. Edward

And woe be unto you if you get Hildi on either team. She doesn't seem personable and her designs are crap. Kia is a complete wild card - sometimes OK, sometimes "WTF!".

Frankly, I'd tell the designers to bugger off and ask Ty and Amy Wynn to design the room for me.

Brad

DaveMcS

Second Unit
Isnt Hildi the one who painted a BIG mural of her own face in someone's living room.....

I think I'd be caving that wall in as soon as the reveal was done...!!:D

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Is there any possibility that Hildi is a purposeful plant? Kind of a 'wild card' who is encouraged by the producers to make her designs as repellant as possible to add that extra twinge of drame to the selection process.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I just saw a commercial for the "face" wall.

Yup ... the crack must be good.

Although... I can't help but wonder what kind of horrors she comes up with on a bigger budget? *shudder*

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
First I have to say that I loath this show and never watch it of my own free will.

Now thats over with I absolutely agree. I think she does totally crazy stuff just to cause drama.

Did anybody see the episode where she painted these poor peoples couches and put them outside, where they promptly got rained on? The producers let her go over budget to buy new couches and she wanted to paint those too! Fortunately the homeowners wouldn't let her.

Some of the other designers are pretty nuts too though. Did anyone see the one with the new female designer where she did up the room like a funeral plot?

Mark

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I agree Hildi is terrible, but still fun to watch. It's like rubberneckers at a car wreck, you just can't turn away because you want to see people's reactions. You have to keep in mind that one of the reasons this show is so popular is the "unique" decorating ideas and the homeowners reactions to them.

Regarding the horrid total black dining room with yellow table from the other day: They asked the one homeowner if she was nervous about what was going on in her house. Her reply was something along the lines of "No, because Hildi is here with us." I was LMAO on that one!

Vern is my abolute favorite as well. I would let him redecorate a room in our house any day of the week.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Look at the brew-haha from the episode with the super childish bitch that got the brown room.
That was totally hilarious, but I had to ask myself if they weren't purposely trying to set her off. I mean, the only thing they knew about her was that she HATED brown with a passion, so they purposely design a room with nothing but brown and orange. I realize that it made for good TV (and the homeowner behaved very badly), but to me it's more fun when they try to do something that the homeowner MIGHT like, and then see how it turns out. Knowing that the homeowner will hate it 5 minutes into the show takes a lot of the fun out of it for me.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I really don't like Hildi! I gotta admit that the straw on the wall was very funny to see. Did she put moss on the wall once?

My favorite designers on the show are:
Frank
Vern
Laurie
Genevieve

I want Amy to come and do some carpentry projects for me. ;)

I get annoyed when they take the ceiling fans down.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Geneveive was the one who did the moss. Not one of her best moves but at least it was just a small, portrait sized art piece that could be removed when the stech got overwhelming.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I get annoyed when they take the ceiling fans down.
I'm trying to figure out what is so bad about ceiling fans? Granted most of the ones you see them take down are the cheapo self-installed ones, but still.

In retrospect... maybi Hildi isn't on crack. But I'm willin' to bet that she's been smokin' some of that hay she puts on walls. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks