-

Photo
- - - - -

Dual Subwoofer Setup Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Paul_III

Paul_III

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 04:03 AM

If I wanted to add another subwoofer for the heck of it(I have two, one's just sitting around right now), what would be the best way to do it. My receiver is a Denon AVR-3803 and on the back there are white (L) and red ® outputs for all the speakers - front, surround, etc. For the subwoofer the red output is labeled "subwoofer", while the white output is labeled "center". Would I royally screw something up if I ran the white "center" output to the additional subwoofer, or do I need some kind of splitter to split the signal from the red "subwoofer" output?

#2 of 9 ColinM

ColinM

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 05:14 AM

Do the splitter. Experiment by first putting them on top of each other in the same location, shoot for a balanced sound from each unit alone, then combine and adjust the master sub level to taste.

Then some day try seperating them and see what happens.

Do you have a good calibrating disc?

SPL meter?
You call that a knife?

#3 of 9 Paul_III

Paul_III

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 06:45 AM

Don't have an SPL meter. I have the AVIA calibration disc.

#4 of 9 Armand G

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 08:38 AM

Certain Subwoofer brands swear by connecting their subwoofers to the speaker terminals (Amp) and High level input (Subwoofer). I for instance have two subwoofers. One is for LFE only (Subw. out on Amp), the other one for Surround (Surround speaker terminals + Highlevel input). It works excellent. Bass is all around know. Much better spread through the whole room.

Remember placement is crucial. I did a test by putting a subwoofer on the listening position to establish the highest smoothest output. In my case there were two locations in my room which were suitable. I then placed the two subs on these exact spots. It's working fine for me. I don't no if it works out formy neighbours too Posted Image .
Hometheater Rules!

#5 of 9 Armand G

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 08:40 AM

A question: Are these two subwoofers exactly the same? If there not it's not recommendable to split the signal but to follow another route.
Hometheater Rules!

#6 of 9 Paul_III

Paul_III

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 01:05 AM

Ah ok, thanks! Actually these subwoofers are not the same brand, so I'll try setting them up similar to what you mentioned.Posted Image

#7 of 9 Armand G

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 01:47 AM

Another tip. In my case I noticed a decrease of bass on my LFE (.1) channel. The solution is to use subwoofersetting LFE+MAIN on your denon.

I have the following settings installed on my DENON AVC-A1 SR(AVR-5803):

Fronts=large (2 x B&W DM 640i)
Center=small (MS 905 C)
Surround=large (2 x B&W DM 604 + Rel Strata III via Highlevel input (Neutrik speakon on subside and three bare wires on Surround speaker terminals)
Surround Back=small (2 x B&W DM 602 S3)
Subwoofer=Yes (REL Storm .1 Channel)
Setting THX fixed
Subwoofer setting= LFE+MAIN

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Armand
Hometheater Rules!

#8 of 9 Paul_III

Paul_III

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 02:11 AM

Thanks again Armand, I'll play with it over the weekend and see how it works out.

#9 of 9 Armand G

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted June 19 2003 - 02:15 AM

Front speakers=large only possible setting to get the large setting on the surrounds.

Good luck!
Hometheater Rules!