Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

do all farouda dcdi players perform well?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   rodger_morales

rodger_morales

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 02:51 AM

I posted this question earlier but I hope rephrasing it will get me some responses. I found a Sharp DV-S25U (with the DCDi chip) at a local fry's for $80. I have heard so much about DCDi-based players I wanted to grab this one. My question is whether the fact it uses the DCDi chip guarantee it will perform well? I have not been able to locate and consumer or professional reviews on thia particular player. Thanks!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Matt_Sk

Matt_Sk

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 05:45 AM

The DCDi chipset does not guarantee you a good DVD player. It will be an excellent and appreciated feature in a DVD player that already stands tall on its own merits. In a poorly designed DVD player, it won't make much of a difference. I've not personally observed the performance of the player in question, so I'm not implying that this is a case of "bad player with DCDi". I can tell you that the price on the one you're considering is substantially lower than the wholesale cost of a DV-S25U, by nearly half. I can also tell you that it wasn't a popular player in some circles due to its lack of an optical output (limited to digital coax and analog L/R). It's up to you how much weight you place on that. You'll probably have to judge the video quality of the player for yourself. Do you have the ability to demo this player since it's available to you locally? I don't think it's a bad deal for 80 dollars really, in any event.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   SvenS

SvenS

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 06:45 PM

You can't go wrong with any of the Panasonic players w/Faroudja chip in it!

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Anthony F.

Anthony F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 10:43 PM

This player (the identical model 2U) was reviewed in Sound & Vision favorably (Nov, 2002). There are a couple of posts floating around here from others. I own one and think it's a solid player, with excellent video, but a couple of quirks--no VCD support, and brief appearance of subtitles at layer change points. The latter doesn't affect the majority of movies (that have logical layer change points), but otherwise mars a very good performer. I believe the original asking price was in the range of similar dvd players, but it has a pretty limited feature set, with DCDI as the only real standout. I believe it's in a different class of player than others at that price range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users