What's new

Quick questions about Alien 3 (1 Viewer)

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
I just got through watching my DVDs and I was wondering. How does the director explain the 2 face huggers that are in this movie? One impregnates Ripley and one Impregnates the dog. I know they show one egg on the main ship in the beginning but how did it get there? At the end of aLiens I do not see anytime that the Queen could have laid the egg and the other unseen egg. So how can this be? This is really bothering me so I appreciate any theories.

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
The one egg shown was near the cryo tubes. She did not have time to lay that one. :thumbsdown:

I'll give you the landing gear housing one. :emoji_thumbsup:

D

DAN NEIR

What eggs in Alien3? Alien3 NEVER happened.:D
Actually wasn't it mentioned that the company put them there? or am I just imagining that. I thought they were suppose to have been there from the time the marines left for the planet,thus suggesting the company knew what was there and sent Ripley and the marines to their deaths.

John Doran

Screenwriter
She had plenty of time to lay in the landing gear housing
it's a common misapprehension that the queen would have to lay any eggs that appeared on the Sulaco, when it seems to me to be far more plausible that she simply carried them with her when she escaped the hive.

having the eggs on board, and presumably a few minutes to herself when ripley goes for the cargo-loader, it would be a simple thing for the queen to stick them in out-of-the-way places to hatch later.

as for one of the eggs being close to the cryo-tubes, i don't recall the movie ever actually showing the egg and the cryo-tubes together in the same scene, either in one frame, or in one tracking-shot (though it's certainly possible that i'm wrong about this); the entire opening credits are a series of short, single, discrete and discontinuous shots, one after another.

this is the only shot of the egg on the Sulaco that i recall:

i don't know where this is on the ship, but it seems to be at least arguable that it is where the queen stuck it when ripley went for the loader.

but if that explanation doesn't suit you, here's a couple of others that might:

1) bishop was in fact a traitor in the same way that ash was in the first movie, and during the time he was alone with the drop-ship he smuggled eggs aboard which he then hid on the sulaco while ripley was attending to hicks before the queen attacked.

this is consistent with his attempts to save ripley and newt as a refinement by the company of his programming - instead of turning psychotic when faced with the contradictory directives of service-to-the-crew and preservation-of-the-alien-organism, bishop helps humans directly whenever possible, and simply attempts to bring back eggs for the company. in short, he may very well have intended to return with specimens while not intending for those specimens to impregnate either newt or ripley.

2) i found this one on a forum - it's long :

What about this for an explanation... Hudson is awoken by the sound of explosions all around him... He looks around him and realises he is bound to the wall by a strange kind of resin, and it front of him he sees a strange leathery object... like an egg or something... except the top is open and it appears empty... also, he can't think why, but there is a terrible taste in his mouth...

Suddenly he realises that he is deep inside the hive and starts to panic, struggling to break free of the binds that hold him against the wall, but to no avail. Suddenly an explosion blows part of the wall away, and he is free from the organic prison. He starts to run, looking constantly for an attack that he is positive is going to happen, but the aliens seem pre occupied with something else, and he is sure that he can hear rounds being fired deep in the hive...
He reaches a set of stairs and dashes to the top, flings opens the door and finds himself outside the colony... He can't believe his luck when he sees the dropship standing outside. He says a prayer of thanks to whichever god is listening, and makes a dash towards the ship.

After climbing aboard he sees Hicks lying slumped in a seat, and sees he is unconcious and has been burned badly. There is no sign of Vasquez, Ripley or the little girl. Hudson staggers to the rear of the ship and, overcome with exhaustion, faints behind a crate of ammo.

He suddenly wakes up, with sweat dripping off his face. He looks around and realises he is still in the dropship. The first thing that hits him is the eerie silence. He stands up and walks toward the front end of the ship. Hicks is nowhere to be seen, and the explosions have stopped. He looks outside - Could it be possible that he is in the ship? He steps out of the dropship - Yes, without a doubt he is back on the Sulaco! He looks around for the other crew, but there are none to be seen... He looks around the Sulaco calling out to Hicks, but he seems to have disappeared. It's strange - the metal grate floor has been lifted up in certain areas, there is a weird sort of white goo covering the ground and one of the powerloaders in missing. After investigating further he is horrified to find Bishops legs lying in the shadows. An accident with some machinery? Not even one of those bugs could have caused that amount of damage to an android...

He checks with the mother computer and finds out that there are four lifesigns on board, Hicks, Ripley, Himself and an unidentified female. They are located in the hypersleep chamber. He heads for the chamber, but even as he does he starts to feel the walls starting to spin around him, and has trouble standing. He reaches the hypersleep chambers as a searing pain swells from inside him, and he falls to the ground, screaming. In a vain attempt he bangs on the glass of the hypersleep chamber, but they sleep on. Hudson feels the stabbing pain from inside grow stronger and his mind flashes back to the first adult colonist they found, and the bug that came out of her. This was happening to him. 'Game over man!' he screams and as an alien queen bursts from his chest, and Hudson falls lifeless to the floor.

The alien queen looks around, sees her host still in spasms. This will be her food for the next few days. Above the host it sees three potentials. The queen takes a bite out of Hudson, to prepare itself for the laying of eggs...
And that is how Alien 3 started.

take 'em or leave 'em, i still think alien 3 is a fantastic film.

- jd

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I was under the impression that Cameron suggested that there could have been eggs on the Sulaco as well.

Quoth the IMDB for Aliens: As the final credits fade, there is the sound of an alien egg opening.

John Doran

Screenwriter
Quoth the IMDB for Aliens: As the final credits fade, there is the sound of an alien egg opening.
that's an interesting suggestion - i have never heard that myself, in all my many viewings of the movie.

although i suppose i've watched it right through to the credits less often than i've watched bits and pieces of it.

still. i'm going to have to check that out.

- jd

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
It's true. Right at the end of the credits for Aliens you hear the familiar sound of an alien egg opening.

I read that the Alien3 facehugger was supposed to be able to impregnate more than one host. We never really see it in the movie, but Giger completely redesigned it to make it look different from the facehuggers of the first two movies. So the super-facehugger was able to infect Ripley and stay alive long enough to eventually infect the dog as well.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
I also remember in Aliens a 'weird' moment or conversation w/ Bishop and the Dropship co-pilot Spunkmeyer. Bishop seemed really odd at this time. I believe he was working on examing one of the dead facehuggers...

but would he have had time to find and smuggle eggs??

Does anyone else remmber this?

~Jason

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I don't subscribe to the notion that Bishop smuggled eggs, as it runs contrary to everything in Aliens that was shown to the viewer regarding his character, by the end of the film.

Regarding the conversation between Spunkmeyer and Bishop. This scene was still fairly early in the film in terms of the Colonial Marines arrival on the planet. I felt that this scene was present to insert an air of uncertainty about Bishop's motives or priorities as a dramatic device that had two functions.

a) Add to the tension level of the film.
b) Provide contrast with, and consequently enhancement of, the altruistic aspects of Bishop's character later in the film.

- Walter.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I read that the Alien3 facehugger was supposed to be able to impregnate more than one host. We never really see it in the movie, but Giger completely redesigned it to make it look different from the facehuggers of the first two movies. So the super-facehugger was able to infect Ripley and stay alive long enough to eventually infect the dog as well.
Also, since a queen was implanted into Ripley, this was probably a special facehugger compared to the ones we see in the first 2 films.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Interesting that people are making up excuses for lazy writing.

The movie Undid everything that was good about the first two movies.

They killed Newt and Hicks. Nuff said.

As far as hearing an egg opening, Ive listended for that time and time again and I think that is a false notion.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I thought Cameron has been pretty vocal with his distaste for how Alien 3 was handled altogether. I've never heard the egg opening and if it did that only accounts for one--not two.

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
So basically the transition from Aliens to Alien 3 is a big fat mess. :D Just what I thought.

I am sure the transition from Alien Ressurection to Alien 5 will be the same kind of far fetched mess as well. :D

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I am sure the transition from Alien Ressurection to Alien 5 will be the same kind of far fetched mess as well. :D
I usually hate this device in movies/television shows, but in my opinion they should just cut their losses from Alien³ and Alien Resurrection and have Ripley wake up on the Sulaco in Earth orbit, and everything in the last two movies was a dream. I don't even care if they actually show Newt and Hicks; they can be off-camera when Ripley gets the offer or is forced to go to the Alien homeworld.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
People are complaining about the transition to Alien3 - what about the transition from Alien to Aliens? A creepy suspense story was transitioned into a sily shoot-em-up, a wild west with gunslingers and a puppy dog (no, make that a small child).

John Doran

Screenwriter
I've never heard the egg opening and if it did that only accounts for one--not two.
i've never heard it, either. and although you're right that the sound of one egg only accounts for the egg from which the sound emanated, i can't, for the life of me, understand what difference that makes. you might as well conclude that the only aliens that there were in the movie were the ones we saw on screen - after all, the images of the creatures on the screen only account for the aliens shown on screen...

- jd

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Originally posted by Mikel_Cooperman:
As far as hearing an egg opening, Ive listended for that time and time again and I think that is a false notion.
You should listen again then. It's there, at the very end of the end credits. It even has a cute little stereophonic effect as a facehugger clearly moves across the front of the room.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks