-

Photo

New Superbits for September including Lawrence of Arabia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
109 replies to this topic

#1 of 110 OFFLINE   Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 09:13 AM

Due on September 9th are new Superbit editions of Hook, Lawrence of Arabia (2-discs) and Leon.

#2 of 110 OFFLINE   Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 09:56 AM

I never got the original set of Lawrence of Arabia. I'll be interested in reading reviews of how the Superbit edition compares.
Brian

#3 of 110 OFFLINE   Craig W

Craig W

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 09:57 AM

The only way I will upgrade LoA is if it is the RAH approved transfer. Otherwise Superbit is nothing more than Supersh!t.

#4 of 110 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 10:07 AM

Hmmmm... Hook... perhaps...

#5 of 110 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 02:56 AM

Yes, this brings up a interesting question. Are the Superbit versions new transfers? Or is the digital information changed before downloading onto disks? I don't know how the disks are actually made, obviously.

Lawrence of Arabia needs a new transfer, not just more bits (although every little bit helps, eh?) Many of the colors are off on the current DVD, and there are some audio problems, as well.

#6 of 110 OFFLINE   EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 04:21 AM

i don't think i'll be upgrading LEON. i'd already waited til earlier this year and relented. d'oh!

but still waiting for GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!! (i mean i have the original but would gladly doubledip. hopefully it won't be a superdeluxe so that it can keep the cost down.
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#7 of 110 OFFLINE   Craig W

Craig W

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted June 18 2003 - 05:30 AM

DeeF,

Your concerns are correct. Many times Columbia Tristar uses the same initial transfer but increases the overall bit rate. That's why many of us here are not really interested in a Superbit version of LOA unless they use the RAH approved transfer since as you said that there are color timing problems and some audio mistakes in the current transfer.

One has to wonder sometimes why everytime a classic is released it has some problems that bother collectors. Are they holding back from releasing a definitive version? Sometimes I think they do this to force to us upgrade several times. The thing is that DVD is not the final home video format. Get it right on DVD. There will be another format where you sell the same film to us all over again.

One thing that bugs me is how many single disc releases are crammed with useless extras that take away from the quality of the film. There are films where we need all the behind the scenes, but overall most of it is useless promotional fluff. I am not a huge fan of the Superbit line, but I do like the fact that if extras are presented they are on a seperate disc and thus do not take away from the quality of the film.

Here are some examples of overall bitrate of the movie on titles that have a lot of extras on single disc releases. As a result of all the extras most of these dual layer disc have about three hours of video content.
Jaws dts (2hr3min) 5.56Mb/s.
Austin Powers:TSWSM 5.46Mb/s
Austin Powers:GM 5.46Mb/s
Jurassic Park 5.60Mb/s
Blues Brothers 4.45Mb/s (close to 3.5 hours of video on a single disc)

Now here are some examples of discs that contain just the film and very few extras. * represents a Superbit title.
Dragonheart dts 8.76Mb/s
Alien 7.25Mb/s
Mask of Zorro* 6.63Mb/s
The Fifth Element* 7.39Mb/s
Seven: Platinum Series (Movie) 7.89Mb/s
Star Wars:TPM 6.87Mb/s
Star Wars:AotC 6.59Mb/s
LOTR:FOTR EE (Disc 1) 7.89Mb/s
LOTR:FOTR EE (Disc 2) 7.68Mb/s

As you can see that there is really nothing special about Superbit but you know that overall the bitrate will be higher compared to a title with the film and all the extras stuffed on one disc. But you usually can tell when a studio releases a 2+ disc set that you are going get a less compressed version of a film.

Running time is also an issue. I am starting to believe that any time a film is approaching 3 hours that it should be split into two discs for the film. Then put the extras on a third disc.

EricW,

You bring up an interesting point. From what I have seen at retailers, B&M and online, Superbit deluxe titles are no more costly than standard Superbit releases, but I think the standard Superbit titles are already overpriced.

#8 of 110 OFFLINE   Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 02:32 AM

I'm very hopeful that a SuperBit release of Lawrence of Arabia will improve the overall picture quality and reduce edge enhancement.

HDMovies is suppose to show Lawrence in High Definition eventually. That's the transfer I want!

Posted Image

For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#9 of 110 OFFLINE   AllanN

AllanN

Supporting Actor

• 952 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 03:02 AM

I love LoA, but what exaclty is this RAH transfer everyone is talking about?
“Aquaba is over there, it’s only a matter of going.” –Lawrence "I am not now, nor have I ever been a psychologist" -Mumford
"...you can't control who gets hit or who doesn't, who falls our of a chopper or why. It ain't up to you. Its just war." -Hoot
"Fear is the path to the dark...

#10 of 110 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 03:16 AM

Robert A Harris restored Lawrence in the late 80s, and recently worked on the 70mm reissue prints as well. However he was NOT consulted for the DVD, which contains many color timing and sound errors which David Lean would..umm..have been quite vocal about Posted Image

#11 of 110 OFFLINE   Craig W

Craig W

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 02:04 PM

Yes RAH expressed his dissapointment with the current 2-disc DVD set.

Many of us here are hoping for once and all the definitive DVD version of LOA is going to happen with the Superbit release.

Note: Stay clear of the 1 disc version of LOA since it has been highly compressed to fit on one disc and it is from the same transfer with color timing and audio errors as the 2-disc set.

#12 of 110 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,143 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 27 2003 - 04:18 PM

i'm guessing that since mr harris has not said anything, he was not consulted for the new superbit version either.
i hope i'm wrong.
facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 110 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,488 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 04:23 PM

TonyD...

Make no assumptions.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#14 of 110 OFFLINE   Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 04:32 PM

Quote:
TonyD...

Make no assumptions.

RAH

YES!!!

I will take that reply and run like hell with it!!!!

Excellent!

Posted Image

#15 of 110 OFFLINE   Bill Burns

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 04:33 PM

Ah, hope springs eternal.

I have a question: given the troubles with Lawrence of Arabia in it current DVD form, is there anything presently "wrong" (color timing, audio) with the 2-disc edition of Bridge on the River Kwai? Well, two questions: is Ryan's Daughter anywhere on the horizon for "epic Lean" completists?

Posted Image As hope, so too does curiosity.

“That line was screwy.”

- Outtake
Warner Bros.' Breakdowns of 1938

#16 of 110 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,143 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 27 2003 - 04:42 PM

i certainly never assume Posted Image thats why i said i hope i am wrong, too.

rob, i'm running right with you.
facebook.com/whotony

#17 of 110 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 04:46 PM

Uh oh... I've got a feeling it's time to lose my 2-disc LE Posted Image

#18 of 110 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 04:51 PM

I believe this calls for a Dave Lambert style BuffRun(Patent Pending)

Lose the LE? Nothing doing! With that great packaging and extras mine isn't going anywhere

#19 of 110 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 04:52 PM

Okay... you're right about the packaging... this calls for a disc swap.

Posted Image

#20 of 110 OFFLINE   Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted June 27 2003 - 05:02 PM

Quote:
Lose the LE? Nothing doing! With that great packaging and extras mine isn't going anywhere

Ditto that!

Have you checked out the DVD-ROM features? Not bad. Not bad at all.

Regarding the packaging, I also completely agree. The new one disc edition with the blue print is horrible. And that's the same art work that they used on the 40th Anniversary Poster. They should have used the art work from the LE.

You be the judge:

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

To me, the blue just doesn't fit the overall feel of the movie. The LE is full of earth/sand tones which are completely appropriate.

Forum Nav Content I Follow