Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Strange Volume/Gain Prob with my Onkyo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Luke*Ho

Luke*Ho

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 05:35 AM

Don't know if I have a problem with my Onkyo or my DVD player or no problem at all, but here it goes. I have an Onkyo 600 receiver. Whenever I play CDs, cassettes, or the tuner, the volume set on "50" is plenty loud. However, when playing a DVD in surround mode, I've got to set the volume to "70" to get the equivilent sound levels. Seems odd to me. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? I am using a Philips 724AT DVD player, NHT speakers, and a HSU VTF-1 sub.

Thanks,
Luke

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted June 16 2003 - 07:48 AM

There is nothing wrong, this is quite common. It can be source dependent, as well as material dependent. What types of connections are you using?
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   ChristopherBer

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted June 16 2003 - 08:02 AM

I have an Onkyo TX-SR500 reciever and I gotta turn it up to like 60 - 75 to hear well on surround modes as well, I think it's normal. What volume do you have on your speakers like -12 or +12 etc...?