What's new

Rejoice! SCROOGE is finally coming to DVD! (1 Viewer)

Jo_C

Second Unit
Just read on one of the web sites that SCROOGE has finally been announced for DVD! I know many fans have been wanting this on DVD for many, many years, and finally it seems Paramount/CBS finally relented and decided to put this on DVD.

I think this is the best version of "A Christmas Carol", having seen it years and years ago on NBC during an IBM-sponsored presentation.

I remember the end credits how greatly they were done. But alas, I learned that they were done specifically for television. The theatrical version had all the credits at the beginning and a simple "Merry Christmas" at the end, as it was supposed to be intended. I think it is that version that will be on the DVD.

I also remember all the songs that were in it...I listened to a promotional album some years back promoting the NBC telecast featuring all the songs Albert Finney sang in the movie.

No other version of "A Christmas Carol" compares to this. Way to go, Martin Blythe at Paramount/CBS!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Confirmed. May I also give special thanks
to Martin Blythe. You guys should know that
the DVD is being released because the HTF
membership asked for its release.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Confirmed. May I also give special thanks
to Martin Blythe. You guys should know that
the DVD is being released because the HTF
membership asked for its release.
Ron, this is as good DVD news as I've EVER heard! I'm forever grateful to Mr. Blythe and the fellow HTF members. :) :) :)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
This title was mentioned for year end release way back in a March/April Paramount thread. So it really isn't new news.

Paramount has released a number of films this year which they acquired through a CBS license. When asking Paramount to release some of their musical films, Martin finally said they would give us "one" - "Scrooge" the one musical in the list that wasn't made by Paramount!

Still waiting for the often requested Paramount filmed musicals:
On a Clear Day You Can See Forever
Li'l Abner
Darling Lili

Also like to see
Oh! What a Lovely War
Half a Sixpence

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
You guys know I'll never rest to we get HALF A SIXPENCE out there.
to MARTIN BLYTHE. Since Its not possible to release Half a Sixpence on dVD at this moment,can you convince your company to atleast add the stereo track to the prerecorded VHS you've had out for years?

JaredB

Agent
Great news.
For years I grew up watching this movie on a little black and white TV. Then, as an adult I realized that the film was actually in color. Then two years ago I tracked down the laserdisc and finally saw it in widescreen.
Now, I'll get to see and hear it on DVD. Fantastic.

This movie has become more synonymous with Christmas to me than any other film or TV show. My whole family will be getting copies. : )

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Greg,

If it was news (and it was merely hinted)
back in April and May, I was asked not to talk
about it on the forum. Paramount obviously wanted
to keep it fully quiet a little longer.

If you have a complaint that this is the only
musical Paramount is releasing, please start
another thread to talk about it in so those of
us who are rejoicing about what Paramount has
done here don't have to read these kind of
complaints. Trust me, I am sympathetic towards
those who feel Paramount is not releasing enough
musicals, but this could be talked about elsewhere.

I'm just trying to keep this thread positive
towards a studio that went out of their way to
release both Little Big Man and now
Scrooge at the request of this membership.

Thanks for understanding.

Shaun C

Agent
I like this version a lot, although it's a toss-up between this and Muppet's Christmas Carol as my favorite, i really think Michael Caine did a great job as Scrooge, too.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's obvious that posts were lost due to the database problem the Forum experienced.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I've never seen this particular version. Out of the versions I have seen, my all-time favorite is still the Alastair Sim version. In my eyes, that is the DEFINITIVE version of "A Christmas Carol". Every Christmas Eve you'll find me watching it along with "It's A Wonderful Life".

While on the topic, was the Alastair Sim version of ACC filmed in 4:3 or widescreen? It's from the early 50s so I'm not entirely sure. It's been released on DVD a few times, and all versions I've seen are full screen.

EDIT: I just did a search and read an old thread pertaining to t he 1951 version of the movie and learned that it is indeed full-screen.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, SCROOGE is quite faithful to A Christmas Carol, at least in tone. It doesn't cover every page of the book, but all of the main points are there and they have the feel of the story down pat. The music is great and Albert Finney makes a wonderful Ebenezer Scrooge. If you love the story and you love musicals then I think you'll love SCROOGE.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I think this is the best version of "A Christmas Carol"
This is nice for those who are fans of this version. But I beg to differ about it being the "best" version. IMHO I believe that "best" version is the 1938 M-G-M version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.